10+ Year Old Account

Let someone handle a project...

and it wasn't done right. Let me elaborate:

I had a HP desktop with a EVGA Gtx 550 ti,and a 560 watt power supply. Bought an Antec 900 and took it to a computer repair shop for them to take the guts of my HP and put it into the Antec, so that in the future if I wanted to upgrade it would be more easy to do. Well, lets just say he said my EVGA used "550 watts of power) with my 560w psu, (when I looked it up and it said it was 400w minimum) and that he was concerned with that. So I said go ahead and do it, and he is saying it is not powering on. He said he would call me tomorrow and inform me on the details, I'm not really concerned if its really not powering on, cause all it means is that my psu really isnt holding up with all the extra fans hooked into it, or hes plugged in some cords the wrong way.

Plus, my neighbor who is also a computer nerd/geek/whatever said he always tried to get people to replace their psu's so that he can replace him with crappy ones so that they blow out so he can keep taking money from people.

My question is, from the above information, do you think its just a psu problem? 3 120mm fans plug into it, 1 200mm fan, and a EVGA GTX 550 Ti. And the psu is just an HP one which its maximum capacity is 560w. Before only one rear 60mm fan plugged into.

Thanks for input, I'm just worried about my system!

Considering that even GTX 550 Ti in SLI (yes, that's two of them) makes a whole build (other than just the cards) run at 440~w tops during load...
    If they're saying it's too weak of a PSU, they are full of shit, or your PSU is. What's its amp on the 12v-line(s)? Make sure you check that; One should be higher than 24amps preferrably.
    Your neighbour sounds like a very indecent fellow.

Make sure the cables are correctly connected and you used motherboard standoffs, so that isn't shorted against the motherboard tray.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-06-29 at 03:05 AM.

So your neighbor that 'helps' people with computers, gives them crappy PSU's just so he can charge them again to fix it? Giving us pc geeks a terrible name, what a shady jerk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezeria View Post
    So your neighbor that 'helps' people with computers, gives them crappy PSU's just so he can charge them again to fix it? Giving us pc geeks a terrible name, what a shady jerk.
    Isn't he speaking of the shop guy?

560W should be enough (but you can also check via a psu calculator). Sadly I have no experience with HP PSUs.

Unless the powersupply is very clearly a very poor one and almost entirely dedicated to 3.3v and 5v then the powersupply is more than enough, although the powersupplies seen in prebuilts are usually not worth a lot as far as quality or anything goes imo.