Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I was taught years ago to always have a current pve and pvp set for your main. It allows you more options for things to do and it really stretches your playing skills.

Deleted
    I would stick to PvE. You need PvE gear in PvP anyway, gurthalak, legendaries, trinkets etc. PvP is also more frustrating because PvE encounters get hotfixed next day while for PvP fixes you have to wait for months, usually untill next expansion (broken ladders, mmr abuse, disconnecting at pillars etc).

i do both, pve and pvp. but i have certain characters for each. yes, pvp is easier to aquire gear and a lot less stressful. but rated bgs and arenas are pretty stressful. also pve is fun too though. i think it is best to just find a good mix between the two

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post
    Do you mostly/always play PvP, and give little/no attention to PvE? Either way, why?

I am considering going entirely PvP. Primarily because the gear seems easier to obtain (though I could be wrong), and also it seems somewhat less stressful.

Looking for answers/opinions on this.
    After Firelands, I pretty much gave up on PvE. Eh, more like I gave up on people (including Blizz). This is going to probably become a long-winded ranting about why I hate PvE now a days.

Lets see. I do consider myself a very competent PvE player in regards that I can sustain very high damage relative to my gear and other guildmates, all while executing the fight perfectly. If I ever mess up on any given mechanic, I usually don't make that mistake again. I also have every flask/pot/food I would need to sustain me multiple raids. Also have gems and premade scrolls so I can use items I win the next fight.

I can't say the same for other people that I've raided with.
    -They come to raids unprepared.
    -They ask for summons even though they've been standing in Org/SW for the last 20 minutes.
    -They make the raids start late.
    -They don't look up boss fights beforehand.
    -They die to stupid things. Which is fine. But it takes them multiple wipes to learn "Oh, standing here will kill me"
    -They put little effort into actually becoming a better raider. No, doing 20-30% less DPS with better gear than me is not acceptable.
    -They would rather 'get through the instance' if a boss fight on heroic will take us weeks to down.
    -They bitch about loot.
    -Not being biased either. I was 4th on the list for a legendary for Firelands. 1-3 recipients were some of the worst raiders I've ever seen because of the points above. And no, I didn't cause drama or anything. I just wasn't in the 'click' in most guilds.

It's bad when you're lazy in a video game.

I then stopped playing WoW for a little while. Then I tried to app to some H-DS guilds. They reject me because I don't have a H-Morchok kill. Most every guild on my server is 6/8HM now because of the nerfs. Yet I don't have "HM experience", so I can't get into any pugs or guilds. Yes, I don't know the fights. But seeing as how everyone is pushing 8/8HM, i'm sure the fights aren't brainbusting hard.

I used to be a raid leader myself. And a guild master. I know what it takes to be a successful raider because I had to do it myself, and make sure 9 other people were too. If I were to ever raid again, that is the way I'd go. Assemble my own raid team. There at least I could control my own raid group as I saw fit. If they weren't prepared, or couldn't handle mechanics, they were replaced. I consider myself a nice guy, really, but I didn't spare feelings for people that were habitually late, lazy, or unwilling to improve.

Main reason why I enjoy PvP more is because I have an "A-type" personality. I like being a winner. Also, I can't stand farming the same raid instance for months against scripted encounters. PvP is always changing.

Deleted
    hello fellow pver

well the fact is that pvp is never annoying a bg will never be like the previous one and you always increase your skill in arena /rated bg
    while cataclysm proved that a blind noob can do dragon soul, 2.2k in arena still requires a lot o fpratice and skill. That's why i like pvp. is dynamic, interesting and improves a lot your skill. Pve? no thanks, too boring, static and repetitive...

I do both. But i don't take PvP seriously. The sooner you accept the fact that it's not and never will be balanced, the sooner you will enjoy playing.

A lot of people that tell you PvE is 'boring' are the type that run LFG and LFR. That PvE aspect sucks ass, i agree. I avoid it as much as possible. The fun of PvE comes from being apart of a guild, and playing together with your friends and guildies.

Honestly, the times when i have hated this game the most, is when i was PvPing a lot. You're kidding yourself if you don't think that gear and class/spec imbalances aren't the deciding factor. Heck, even in the last NAO i watched, Vanguards openly admitted that a team they just shoutout had zero chance because of their comp. Even after they changed one of their classes in a desperate attempt to better their odds.

Quote Originally Posted by asharia View Post
    I do both. But i don't take PvP seriously. The sooner you accept the fact that it's not and never will be balanced, the sooner you will enjoy playing.

A lot of people that tell you PvE is 'boring' are the type that run LFG and LFR. That PvE aspect sucks ass, i agree. I avoid it as much as possible. The fun of PvE comes from being apart of a guild, and playing together with your friends and guildies.

Honestly, the times when i have hated this game the most, is when i was PvPing a lot. You're kidding yourself if you don't think that gear and class/spec imbalances aren't the deciding factor. Heck, even in the last NAO i watched, Vanguards openly admitted that a team they just shoutout had zero chance because of their comp. Even after they changed one of their classes in a desperate attempt to better their odds.
    Some people just don't like PvE and doing guild runs because of it being on a fixed schedule each week, plus if drama starts up it gets really obnoxious.. I never really cared for that. I prefer to just pug PvE content nowadays if I do it during the week.

Anyways, yes, comp is generally the deciding factor at high levels of play.. but even the best of players mess up at times, and despite their comp being better, they lose.. so it's not always the deciding factor, but yeah..
    Last edited by Scorth; 2012-07-02 at 01:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgaard View Post
    Have been PvP'ing all cata... Its much more fun
    same here and i have to agree 100%

I have been playing since release. I have always done both, but with time constraints I did not have before (being a husband and dad now, lots happened since 2004) I find that I have to choose one or the other. PvE is a drain. Most people are not good enough to clear content in less than three days a week. 12 hours of raiding to do what can be done in a few hours because of stupidity. In the Molten Core days you were easily carrying the dead weight of perhaps as high as 18 raiders. We had no addons to tell us dps numbers or anything so we had no way of evaluating who was pulling their weight. The fights were pretty simple and mostly tank and spank. It was actually quite fun because we had a good time, laughing, chatting, doing silly stuff, playing games like betting on the amount of wipes that night, etc.

Then the game changed. Raids went from being social things for your guild to do together to becoming the measure of your epeen. So Blizzard had to up the difficulty in the name of making it fun, because if you are not filling every GCD with a skill while dodging three different types of enviornment damage and remembering the changes that happen in the third phase of 4 then it is no fun at all. "Clear vent!" replaces the chatter that used to be filled with "Leeeroy Jenkins!".

So now you have a bunch of guys that are playing PvE like it is a second job because that is what it requires to get through the raid. Zero mistakes. Have a team of 10 players, well everyone has to be perfect. Two tanks, have to be perfect because lots of fights will wipe you for having only one alive. Have to roll with 2 healers mostly because of enrage timers. Oh, and be sure not to bring that class that can't do perfect ranged dps on the move because you will wipe otherwise.

PvE went from being focused around having fun with your friends and guildmates to finding 9 or 24 other people who you could tolerate enough to down the boss because that is all that matters. If the boss is dead at the end. No one cares about getting to that point.

Now, with all that said, PvP is where that kind of play still exists. You play with your friends and you have fun. I can queue up with 2 of my friends for some random BGs and we can have some fun. We can do silly stuff, like RP walk a flag. We can play silly specs and try to make them work. We can chat about stuff in skype and still play. We are having fun. We can do arena for more challenge and we can do RBGs for a different kind of challenge. I can do it solo when I want or on alts without pressure. I can do it in the open world, I can do it on my terms.

TLDR: PvE is for people that don't get that a video game is supposed to be an escape and a way to entertain yourself and have fun with your friends. PvP is for the people who actually like the Massively Multiplayer part of MMO. I would be willing to bet that if I replaced your raid with 24 bots that perform perfectly you would be happy and content. That is sad.

FYI, my characters if anyone wants to reference my experience.

Vanilla Warlord - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...aghof/advanced
    Burning Crusade Main - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...yrene/advanced
    Cataclysm/Wrath PvE raider and current main PvPer - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...erean/advanced

Across all my characters I have over 300,000 HKs. I have done every raid since release with exception of BWL. I have been in progression guilds, I have been in casual. My most noteable PvE comes from Wrath being ranked sub 500 in the world on Trial of Crusader Heroic and completing the now unavailable meta for the first tier. I have never been higher than 1970 in Arena, I have never been higher than 2k in RBG. I did gain Warlord in Vanilla. I prefer to play for fun and with my friends, but that in no way means I don't know what I am talking about or have skill. I just choose to not play with asshats, which you are mostly required to do to progress in the current state of WoW in both PvE and PvP. Good, bad, does not matter it is all about perception. It is just how the game is today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like you, i decided to go all PvP quite a long time ago.

However, when they implemented the LFR function. I starting doing LFR once a week on some of my characters just for fun, and to see the PvE content i wasnt doing.

Thats why i love LFR. It's amazing for pvpers. You dip in there, make a good chunk of cash, possibly a weapon upgrade... then back to your pvp!

Generally i do both pretty often but towards the end of this expansion ive ended up doing DS a thousand times over with lfr. I have been solely doing bgs/arenas because in each game its always different there is no script to it and i find it much less repetitive and alot more fun.

Yesterday someone told me you can actually leave elwynn forest.

Shortly after, I had quite the existential crisis, as you can imagine.
    Arena Master Elemental Shaman
    Maeros@Illidan
    http://www.twitch.tv/chroniclinex
    http://www.youtube.com/chroniclinex

Quote Originally Posted by ShasVa View Post
    Do you mostly/always play PvP, and give little/no attention to PvE? Either way, why?

I am considering going entirely PvP. Primarily because the gear seems easier to obtain (though I could be wrong), and also it seems somewhat less stressful.

Looking for answers/opinions on this.
    I've done a fair bit of both, but usually lean towards one area at a time. I switched back over to PvP partway through this expansion with similar intentions. I always liked that PvP gear is earned and purchased on your own terms rather than suffering group politics or RNG drops, and I was interested in a less time-demanding area of gameplay. I'm sure both of these will always be the case with PvP, but I also found it is a little more frustrating than it once was.

First, regrinding honor for a half-tier upgrade every season is not something that fell directly in line with my hopes for PvP gameplay. PvP has always been more accepting of a casual approach, but now you put yourself at a disadvantage if you aren't interested in that grind. It's still not nearly as time consuming as serious raiding; I was just used to grinding once an expansion rather than every season. Also, I suppose if you aren't overly serious about the game, it probably isn't even a big deal to secure that small upgrade.

Second, I'm finding the game to be more rock-paper-scissors than ever before. In every other expansion, I felt like I always had a chance of winning, so long as I outplayed my opponents. Arena now always feels like there's a very small pool of comps that provide a fair game; most comps will be either a no-skill win or nigh unbeatable. This is definitely subject to personal perspective, so maybe I'm off-base here. It's just what seems to be the case to me. I find this reflected to a lesser extent in one-on-one encounters, but I also find it quite disheartening to play my healers in PvP now. You actually have no chance of ever killing anything. Your best-case scenario for one-on-one is that the guy attacking you gives up.

As a final word on PvP, in its own way it can get stale faster than PvE does. Somehow I forget this every time I start PvPing, but it's the exact same thing over and over. Every season some specs fall out of favor and new FotM slugs show up to replace them, but you're still doing the same thing in the same map. On the upside, it's easy to always play with your friends, and there's a certain excitement factor to PvP. I honestly can't even place my finger on what it is. I can't even say it's unpredictability--most PvPers are nearly as predictable as a PvE boss. I think it might just be how fast you can lose if you make a mistake.

I hope there was something useful in there.

I feel a little bit bad for the players who view the PvP gear as a grind. You are supposed to be having fun aren't you? Is the point to just get the top tier gear for that season and then sit on it? Do you not learn anything while "grinding" that gear? PvP is the one aspect of wow that you have a controlled path to character power upgrades that you get while doing the same thing you would be doing all along. Killing alliance scum.

Anyway, I agree with the post above about LFR. It is a good thing for the PvP community. Everyone should also understand that the last season of an expansion is typically the best PvP there will be that expansion. This is because there is little gear disparity, people are fed up with raids so there are more people playing, the expansion rollercoaster of nerfs is at an end, and people have generally gotten a good handle on their classes by this point. (we all know expansions can change a class drastically)

So right now is some of the best PvP you will get. Well, until you get above 1900 and you have to wait in queue for 15 minutes to fight the same LSD comp that you have no chance in hell of beating. Sub 1800 arena and RBG is chocked full of players though and you can have fun there. Random BGs are also fun, but just try not to queue solo as it will be painful.

Deleted
    I'm mostly pvping, raiding in a guild is seriously pretty boring and it takes so much time. I don't like it either that you have to show up at a certain time, instead I want to be able to play whenever I want. I have been doing some rbgs as well which aren't nearly as fun as arenas. So, I'm mainly doing arenas, but doing also sometimes some rbgs and raids with friends.

It can be a rough start if you have no gear, but when you start buying ruthless, you'll start to get a lot more kills and survivability and you'll also start winning more bg's. Then start with arena's / rbg.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slahaldin View Post
    iam no expert in pvp but i know for me pvp is better 'cuz u can play bg anytime u want and u dont have to worry about somone telling u to come for the raid exactly at certan time
    I mainly PvE, but I agree with this. Much easier to get 3 people on at the same as well than it is 25, I've always liked that you can PvP whenever you want on WoW and the fact that you don't need a guild to do it, you can just get 1-2 people you randomly find or mates to get started in arena etc.

When I kill a Boss I don't feel a sense of accomplishment, because it was a scripted encounter that I knew.

When I kill an other Player I feel like a badass, because I've clearly outplayed the other person.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

Personally i usually roll with 2 "mains" at any given time. One to raid with my guild and another to pvp with. I tend toward my pve'r at the beginning of a patch and my PvP'er otherwise. It's really just because i want to see new content, but once i do i hate relying on other people. I'd rather rely on my arena partner to do his part right then 9 other people to do their part right.
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS

I primarily focus on PvP and decided to finally take PvE seriously at the end of wotlk.

With PvP it's always something different and you have to pay attention to what the other person is doing and counter it and theres more action to it.
    Compared to PvE where for me it feels as if. "Stand still and attack, OKAY THE BOSS IS DOING X LETS MOVE NOW" PvE really isn't hard at all i've played in a top oceanic guild rated #1 on the server and it's just boring and same old. Rather frustrating when you die due to others incompetence.

Although i still do PvE i don't hold it in very high regards, its just a time filler.