KickSmarter: Retrovirus

As with all KickSmarter threads I post, I ask the community not to turn this into a TotalBiscuit flame war. I am not putting these threads up to discuss TB's opinions, or taste in games, or personality, or even his haircut. I am putting these up because I watch his videos, and because I, too, like to see indie developers get some notice.

As always, all credit for these videos and the "KickSmarter" name goes to TotalBiscuit and his staff.

Recently, TB got a press release alpha version of a video game called Retrovirus. It was put on KickStarter since it doesn't have quite the funding it needs to finish the game in any sort of timely manner. Thankfully they DID have something to show, and TB was one of the folks who got a press release version, so he could show it to the public.

Here is his video:

And here is the link to the KickStarter page:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...virus?ref=live

And the company's webpage:
    http://cadenzainteractive.com/

Basically the game appears to play a lot like Descent, which many older gamers will probably remember, offering a "6 degrees of freedom" style of gameplay, in which you can move along the XYZ axes, spin your ship any which way you want, whatever. There is some sparse combat in the beginning, but of course, he is only showing the first level of the game, so most of us would naturally expect it to ramp up as you progress.

There are a few things that aren't explained in the video, and it doesn't show if there is any weapon variety, but it bears repeating, this is just a small part of the game, and is in alpha.

TB mentions that the company is planning on releasing a public alpha version of the game to get people interested, so hopefully we will be able to try it for ourselves soon. Unfortunately, however, it probably won't be soon enough to fund this current go-around on KickStarter, as it only has a week left to reach its goal of $75k. Currently it is almost at $15k.

So there you have it folks, take a look at the video if you like, check out the KickStarter page. See if this is something you would be interested in, and if so, feel free to chip in with what you can to help this game come to fruition. Bear in mind that if you like this game, even the very lowest level of donation, $15, guarantees you a full copy of the game upon release, along with a unique skin to use in multiplayer, to show your support as an early backer. And to remind folks that don't fully understand how KickStarter works, if the company does not meet its funding goal before time runs out, no money will actually be charged to your bank account, so don't worry about losing money, and also you can change or remove your pledge at any time.
    Last edited by TheWerebison; 2012-06-29 at 05:18 PM.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

Deleted
    TBh is looks a bit crap, Not my cuppa tea.

Backed them after seeing TB's video and have since played through the Alpha Demo which made me glad I did back it. Made me feel very nostalgic for Descent, I really love the game's aesthetic, and I was very impressed with how polished and bug free it was despite being an Alpha version. Could be a really nice game if they manage to get the funding.

Quick update on Retrovirus:

Currently it is sitting at $20k of its $75k goal. Went up $5k in the space of 2 days. It's not looking too good, but there are still 5 days remaining, and I know there are people who wait til the end to up their pledge to try and reach the goal.

Anyone who hasn't done so, go ahead and check out the video or the KickStarter link. This game definitely won't be everybody's thing, but I want to make sure that the people who liked Descent are at least made aware of this and get an opportunity to help create this.
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

You can also download the alpha demo and try it out if you want to see how it plays yourself before considering backing it.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21916...aDemoSetup_exe