Deleted

Graphic Card too hot?

Hi there!

I was able to replace my old nvidia graphic card by a nvidia 9500 GT, since my brother doesn't need his old computer anymore.

By playing Diablo, I sometimes notice flashing graphic errors, so I downloaded "MSI Afterburner" to check the temperature. It seems that those errors appear when the graphic card gets hotter than ~83-85 °C. I once noticed even 90 °C. The integrated cooling device itself is then not even at full performance, so I'm using the program mentioned above to regulate the fan. Unfortunately the program sometimes doesn't react properly, so my graphic card is turning hot again which causes flashy graphic errors.

Now my questions:
    Is it okay to run my nvidia at 85 or even 90 °C without seriously higher propabilty to destroy it?
    and more important: Do you know a reliable program to check and regulate the temperature?

Not sure about cards that old, but newer cards can withstand 90c w/o issues and was fairly common for the top card in SLI 570-580s. Now I wouldnt recommend running at that hot, your likely in need of removing the heatsink and applying some new thermal paste.

Deleted
    thx I'm going to try that (after informing myself about thermal paste)