Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just had a thunderstorm here last night. No damage happily. I have had turned all my electric stuff off for safety tho.

so your power is out and you can still use electronic devices + internet? yay future!

Quote Originally Posted by Noobadin View Post
    Today no, but around 9 years ago this happened and it was fun.
    Ahhh yeah! I remember this when I was a kid. I just left New York 2 years earlier prior to this. Remember seeing a massive amount of cars parked in the roads and people walking in mass droves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    so your power is out and you can still use electronic devices + internet? yay future!
    Mobile phones will still be fine. You just won't be able to charge them.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Last year we had a snow storm October... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1079489.html

We were without power for 7½ days, as someone who pays nearly 600 a month for electricity, this was very unacceptable!

If i recall it was 3 weeks and some change is the longest ive been w/o power but that was katrina stuff so cant blame them for having their hands full

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Last year we had a snow storm October... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1079489.html

We were without power for 7½ days, as someone who pays nearly 600 a month for electricity, this was very unacceptable!
    Unacceptable as in you want the electricity companies to control nature in order to provide you with internet? Shits happen...

10+ Year Old Account
    well power came back on at almost exactly 7AM. so it was out a total of 15 hours. and this was the huge bow echo that screamed through most of Ohio yesterday(tried to find the radar image of it, but just imagine a giant storm shaped like a bow stretching from lake Eerie to Kentucky, with the "bowed" part pointed basically right at Columbus.).

we had winds at least at 70 MPH when this hit. i made a youtube vid with my iphone. pardon my dorky commentary on it ><

edit: video now in HD! lol.
    Last edited by randomone05; 2012-06-30 at 02:21 PM.

Got hit with the wind front in Raleigh, NC about 11:30 last night and knocked out power. It came back on during the night thankfully before the 107 degree temps today.

I've never seen anything like that before it was weird. No rain just crazy wind. They even issued a severe thunderstorm warning for it but the the closest thunderstorms were in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    No, but last year I was right in the middle (ok, not in the middle, we didn't get the worse storms) of the April storms that knocked out Brown's Ferry Power Plant in Alabama, and left power off for probably half the state for days. It was pretty crazy.
    I live about 45 minutes away from this area. Last April was pretty bad. We didn't have power in my area for roughly 4 days, which is nothing compared to what most of the state went through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    Got hit with the wind front in Raleigh, NC about 11:30 last night and knocked out power. It came back on during the night thankfully before the 107 degree temps today.

I've never seen anything like that before it was weird. No rain just crazy wind. They even issued a severe thunderstorm warning for it but the the closest thunderstorms were in Virginia.
    WARNING: SCIENCE CONTENT AHEAD!

actually, the criteria for a "severe thunderstorm warning" is either or both A: hail larger than an inch and B: winds greater than 58 MPH. surprisingly, it mentions nothing about rain or lightning.

Deleted
    few years ago here

youtube.com/watch?v=_KK8F5noCrA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    After a few hurricanes Skelington's power was out for maybe a day or two. It was horrible once his gameboy died.
    That's horrible. I hope you had a book to read!
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    In Newcastle 120% of the average rainfall in June happened in two hours. It went from Newcastle Upon Tyne to Tyne upon Newcastle (the tyne is a river, bad word play ftw). My parents were stranded 10 miles away from home, 50k houses had no power, my dog was shaking from all the thunder. It was a freak storm caused by hot air from the tropics getting away across to England. Some people enjoyed it though, I saw a video of someone kayaking in his back yard.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    After a few hurricanes Skelington's power was out for maybe a day or two. It was horrible once his gameboy died.
    Try dealing with 3 days of no power in southern Ontario when one of the hydro plants powering the region blew the fuck up and left a good chunk of the eastern seaboard region in total darkness. Seriously, walking a dog in total darkness was creepy, two people with flash lights and one person holding the leash, trying to find poop in complete and utter darkness is hard unless you try to blind your dog while it's taking a crap. Also, my DS died after 2 days and I was a sad panda Had to pull out my GBA and play Pokemon Blue just to keep entertained.

Also, we had a rain storm that lasted a good couple of hours last Thursday and it was pouring so hard, 3 seconds outside meant you were drenched from head to toe. And I had to go to the grocery store to get cheese to make pizza. It was scary driving in it, my car was hydro planing water about 8 feet into the air by the time I got home, and it had only been raining about 25 minutes by that point.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-06-30 at 08:54 PM.

Deleted
    The South of Germany has to deal with severe thunderstorms right now.
    The windpeaks reached up to 130 km/h and in one case even 150 km/h.
    Hail with a diameter of 9 cm was confrimed.

A huge thunderstorm passed through here last night, but the power stayed on. A stiff wind blew through a few weeks ago and the power was out twice for two hours+ each time. Our power lines appear to be finicky.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Unacceptable as in you want the electricity companies to control nature in order to provide you with internet? Shits happen...
    Actually if they had paid the other companies who had helped the last time we had a major outage, we would have been out of power maybe 3 days tops. Shit does happen, but that shit was their fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickynerd View Post
    Actually if they had paid the other companies who had helped the last time we had a major outage, we would have been out of power maybe 3 days tops. Shit does happen, but that shit was their fault.
    Maybe the other companies were busy? maybe they didn't have the money at hand during the outage... maybe... maybe...

The wind storm smashed through my area of Northern Virginia, my house sits very low at the base of the mountains so not much damage happened, but everywhere around me is pretty ravaged.
    I got my power back after almost 19 hours and just now got internet back, my cell service is still fucked though.