Poll: Should unhealthy foods/drinks be regulated/monitored?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Taxing any unhealthy food is NOT the way to go. Eating healthy in america costs way more than eating unhealthy. Lower the costs of food thats good for you and you will see a difference. Besides as much as you dont like it, you cant force people to eat or live thier life the way YOU want them to. If they want to be unhealthy and fat thats thier choice, not yours, and your retarded for thinking that you should or can tell them how to live thier life.

Output more than you take in. It's really simple. In practice though it is a bit tougher.
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

Cavage is super food, but it tastes like crap. mc. donald is terrible for you, yet it tastes like godly. Both are cheap, which one you gonna choose?

Smaller portions. Not using High Fructose Corn Syrup in literally everything you can cram it into. People learning that they're not above doing things for themselves. Mass genocide leaving only the people who realize these things. Eating the occasional salad for lunch.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Education is the answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

An educated person will think 10000000000 times before making harm to there own body, there will always have pros and cons and that is fine as long the person have a decent knowledge and can properly judge if and when to eat something unhealthy in the name of the pleasure

Well, like that video describes, there's a revolving door now with almost every industry and the regulators.

It's extremely hard to get things passed that are in the public interests if they're not also in the interests of the huge corporations.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Cavage is super food, but it tastes like crap. mc. donald is terrible for you, yet it tastes like godly. Both are cheap, which one you gonna choose?
    You my friend need a taste transplant. There are also much better foods that are cheap, cabbage is a bad example.

Using cane sugar would probably help but the farmers have the government by the balls when it comes to corn subsidies.

Educate people better on the subject really... I know people say it's "being done", but just do it more, and to a greater degree. Make people learn at a young age what's bad to eat and what's good to eat.

I guess it's different for everyone else but the main reason I don't buy as much healthy food is the costs, now I'm a little over-weight but I do indeed love healthy food and fruit, pretty much any fruit, but when I'm paying £3 for a punnet of strawberries it's not exactly cheap and if I want some tropicana orange juice you can add £2.50 onto that so you're saying £5 for some strawberries and orange juice then you think of all the junk food you can buy with that that not only tastes better but fills you up more and it comes down to an easy decision to be fair.

You can get a big bar of aero/dairy milk which is about 2-3 bars for £1 whereas the smaller original bar costs about 50p so that's £1 for a big bar of chocolate then say 60p for a can, what healthy food you gonna get for £1.60? not alot.

Junk food tastes better, fills you up more and is ALOT cheaper so unless you're one of these health freaks then you're always gonna go down the junk food route really, I buy nutri grain bars almost every day and they cost 60p yet do fuck all to fill you up and the reason I eat is to make myself not hungry, alot of healthy food doesn't do this.

You can buy energy drinks for £1 that taste really good or you can spend £2.50 on some tropicana multi vitams now even though that tropicana tastes good, I'd rather have 2 energy drinks and a sweet, simply put, healthy food and fruit especially costs too fucking much.

I honestly don't get why people bother though, if someone is fat who really cares? I tend to buy what I enjoy eating or drinking so I wouldn't really care if someone said I shouldn't eat that because I eat what I want, I'm 25, it's my life and it's my money so I don't get this whole anti-obesity shit really, people say it costs the NHS money? doesn't smokers aswell? or drinkers? or retards breaking their legs and shit? why not just get rid of the NHS and hospitals all together if we use this logic?

Let fat people eat junk food and if they die or get un-healthy then fuck them, nobody forced them to eat so it's their choice and down to them at the end of the day but hating on them? makes no sense, I've never looked at an obese person in the street and thought he was a disgrace or anything like that, if the guy/gal wants to be that fat who am I to say anything? he's the one suffering not me so I don't care.
    Last edited by Naoto; 2012-06-30 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    "Educate and inform the masses..."
    Speaking from personal experience, education is exactly what helped me finally lose weight. I learned next to nothing in high school about the types of foods I was eating. It only ever came down to "junk food BAD, vegetables and fruits GOOD" with no explanation besides the obvious of why they are so bad for you. Physical Education is also an absolute joke. Playing "games" that consist of people trying to throw objects at your face to shatter your glasses (happened to multiple people) is not exactly a great way to educate children on exercising to stay healthy. I was never allowed to just simply walk for the full 45 minutes of class yet they were fine with the alternative of standing in the very back of the gym waiting for a ball to be lobbed across that I could step in front of.

I'm guessing if you asked half of Americans who have tried to diet what they can eat to stay healthy and lose weight they would know exactly how many "points" they can eat each day yet have absolutely no clue how many CALORIES they burn or consume.

As a Chef, I'm going to put this out there. Food is expensive. Good food, is even more expensive.

OK, now let's take for example, if you are going to make a Tomato Sauce from scratch. Now what do you need? Celery, Carrot, Onion, Tomato(then depending on taste fresh, canned or a mix.) Red wine, Oil, Salt, Pepper, Garlic, Herbs(Rosemary, Thyme, Bay Leaf, and Oregano(for a classic sauce)), and Vegetable Stock, which takes even more Celery, Carrots, and Onion.

Welcome to French Cuisine.

Now as you can see, for just a BASE sauce, that is one hell of a list, for a GOOD tasting Tomato Sauce. To make that sauce for a family of 4, would take, roughly 6 hours, and around 50-60 dollars for the SAUCE alone. OR you can get off the shelf, Prego, which is 3.50 a jar and does the same job, but has a lot of useless ingredients.

Yeah, case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Musik View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, education is exactly what helped me finally lose weight. I learned next to nothing in high school about the types of foods I was eating. It only ever came down to "junk food BAD, vegetables and fruits GOOD" with no explanation besides the obvious of why they are so bad for you. Physical Education is also an absolute joke. Playing "games" that consist of people trying to throw objects at your face to shatter your glasses (happened to multiple people) is not exactly a great way to educate children on exercising to stay healthy. I was never allowed to just simply walk for the full 45 minutes of class yet they were fine with the alternative of standing in the very back of the gym waiting for a ball to be lobbed across that I could step in front of.

I'm guessing if you asked half of Americans who have tried to diet what they can eat to stay healthy and diet they would know exactly how many "points" they can eat each day yet have absolutely no clue how many CALORIES they burn or consume.
    While I agree that PE does pretty much zilch I don't agree it's up to the schools to teach you healthy food and all that, people seem to blame the education system for pretty much everything yet if they did indeed have to teach you everything why would we need parents? at the end of the day it's up to them, I put on weight after I got kicked out of school for a year and I was getting fat yet my parents didn't do or say jack shit so why should schools have to go into all of this? parents have to do some teaching aswell you know and in my opinion this is one area they should.

With the internet and the fact everyone over 2 years old having an iPhone or something similar it's not hard to do some research, when I was at school we had Nokia bricks that didn't have the internet and 56k modems yet now you can use the internet pretty much anywhere so if people can't be arsed figuring out whats healthy and whats not why should schools?

To me schools teach you stuff but this is a way of life, that's not for schools to teach really it's for yourself or your parents.

Also, I buy sandwiches pretty much every day and the cheaper ones are £1.40 and that's basic egg or cheese, "better" ones aka BLT cost £2.60 so again, £2.60 for 2 sandwiches isn't exactly cheap and they do pretty much nothing to fill you up so I'd be better off buying a big can of Rockstar, 2 packets of crisps and a couple of sweets.
    Last edited by Naoto; 2012-06-30 at 05:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are getting fatter cause unhealthy food is way cheaper than proper healthy food, bumping prices by taxes isnt a sollution and will just strike less fortunate.

10+ Year Old Account
    If people want to eat unhealthy that is on them. It is their body, they decide what they want to do with it. All this taxing sounds like it is a good thing, but in reality, just puts more money in the government's pockets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Food should be monitered in that people should know the nutritional value of what they are consuming and what is in it (we already have this) but other than that, people are free to eat what they want.

To incentivize healthy eating, healthy foods need to become less expensive than the unhealthy foods and people need to be educated on which foods are healthy and which are not.

Taxing would work to a degree, but its better if you can find a way to encourage better prices through free market forces instead.
    Putin khuliyo

Legalize Cannabis

10+ Year Old Account
    We just had our health care industry taken over. I don't want basic liberty further destroyed by having our food production and retail industry taken over as well.

The more feasible option is make healthy foods CHEAPER. Right now I can spend $15 on a bunch of stuff to make a salad with(fruit or vege) or I can spend $5-8 on a frozen pizza depending on how ghetto the brand name is. Which do you think most people are gonna choose in a shitty economy? About the only thing good for you thats cheap is canned/frozen veges, rice, and raw (not precooked and seasoned and loaded all to hell with preservatives) chicken. But thats not really a bad meal. Got a starch, meat, and vege. I can also eat on a pack of bonless chicken breasts for 3 days so it lasts a while.
    Last edited by Alilei32; 2012-06-30 at 05:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    I second this. Of course "un-nutritional" is a vague term, but tax sugar way more.
    Yeah because you're a tax slave *sarcasm*

Lets tax our way into a utopia! *sarcasm*

Government loves you! *sarcasm*

FUCK THAT.

Let the market evolve as people get more educated, look at whole foods, thats the market adopting to social change, govt isn't a medium for everything, unless you're a willing slave.