[Megathread] Forge

Dark Vale Games, an indi company has just announced their new title Forge to be released soon. The game is an MMORPG/FPS based around PvP and it surprisingly has a lot of hype already, having been announced a little over two weeks ago. It has been rumored and somwhat confirmed by Complexity's Reckful that a lot of members of Complexity have been working with the devs on creating a balanced PvP experience.

Here is a personal Q&A that I had with Co-Founder and CTO/COO of Dark Vale Games.

Sorry about the delay in response, as you can imagine it’s pretty hectic around here.

I know its an mmo-style FPS with RPG controls, but how will it be laid out?

You’ll move with WSAD, and use LMB/RMB + other hotkeys to use your abilities.

And what type of environment will the players experience?

Multiple different types of environments, each map is unique.

Second I would like to ask how will the game experience aside of PvP be, I know the game is based on PvP and we love that concept, but what will differ it from other games based on PvP also?

There are no experiences outside of PvP. We have no PvE functionality, just not something we’re interested in right now. The gameplay is where the difference between our PvP and other games exists in large part, though our commitment to ‘no grind’ is probably a little more firm than it is elsewhere.

And what are some incentives that players have to gain that will differ them from others?

New armor, new special effects, new abilities they can use to replace one of their existing nine, though they are no more powerful or useful than the first 9, just different in purpose. Those are the quickest to come after launch. Longer term we have more planned, but we like to keep our focus tight to avoid that problem of choosing wallpaper before you’ve built a house.

I would also like to ask if there will be an open world leveling system, with an environment similar to Guild Wars 2, meaning levels do not matter as much as PvP play, they just play as a factor pertaining to PvP "talents" or so fourth.

No, no open world leveling system. Everything you do to progress in Forge is in PvP combat.

Lastly I would also like to ask the big question, world PvP.

We’re not planning any world PvP (we have no world outside of our PvP instances). We’ll introduce game types to emulate the experience without its downfalls, but we’re not fans of the usual open world PvP experience where it’s much more about ‘ganking’ and griefing than it is competitive combat. We get the allure, but it’s not the type of game we’re interested in.

Timothy A.
    Co-Founder & CTO/COO
    Dark Vale Games

Hope this clears up a few general points about the game. Feel free to post any additional information/questions.

Deleted
    Is this the right megathread really? Not many postings :P
    Anyway, seems like the game is f2p now, best choice they could make. How's the current state of the game? Heard matchmaking and balance issues not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Is this the right megathread really? Not many postings :P
    Anyway, seems like the game is f2p now, best choice they could make. How's the current state of the game? Heard matchmaking and balance issues not long ago.
    Its much more populated than before. It doesn't have ingame server lists, so you'll have to use the steam server list to find populated servers if you keep getting sent to empty ones.

Its overall still very well balanced. Some classes have a couple of annoying bugs to them, mostly Ravager's chain slap comes to mind, but other than that its good.

Just FYI this game is in no way an MMORPG.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.