The Should I Play That Game Thread

Greetings Fellow's Im here to ask a question, which i will say eventually in the next sentence.

Since no response has been given to me on the MEGATHREAD For The Secret World I will require a thread to find out if
    buying the secret world if worth it, i'v only played it for 15 minutes on the beta and 2 of my friends raged at the "Bad voice acting"
    and the "Terrible Graphics".

So mmo -champs what say you? yay or neigh!

Ps: Input from players who have played farther than i would be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems tougher on my rig than almost every other game that I play, but if you have an ultra high-end computer like most people claim they do it shouldn't matter.

I played for maybe 20 hours during the open beta weekend, and in my opinion:

Pros:
    1. Voice-acting (not sure what your friends were talking about, most MMO's don't even have it.)
    2. Character build diversity
    3. Environment
    4. Gearing (Only head, weapon and 6 "talismans" have stats; clothes, etc are completely cosmetic.)
    5. Story so far.
    6. Gameplay flow, not repetitive (Don't feel like I'm repeatedly gathering 8 gnome testicles like other MMO's)

Cons:
    1. Character creation not so great. (the models that DO exist look good, but there aren't a whole lot)
    2. No reason to make more than 3 alts for the 3 stories; all characters can eventually get all skills/abilities. (This is just IMO, some people will appreciate it.)
    3. The only game other than SWTOR (honestly I almost think they use the same engine and everything) that doesn't run well at high settings on my PC, but again that shouldn't matter to you if yours is better.
    4. Attack animations are just alright.

All in all I liked it, but am waiting until it goes F2P.
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a few so bear with me.
    Mafia II, Vanquish, Two Worlds II, Shadows of the Damned, and Dragon's Dogma
    "We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us." - Andrew Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Tethrys View Post
    Vanquish is immensely underrated. It's a great game, and rather unique when you compare it to other games in the genre. It's probably one of my favorite exclusives.

Dragon's Dogma is great fun too. I love the open world aspect of it, and it has more depth to it than your average RPG, which is a nice change. I'd also recommend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tethrys View Post
    I really enjoyed Mafia 2. The missions were fun, and the story was fantastic. The driving was annoying, but it was a minor complaint. If you like games like GTA and Godfather, then you'll love this.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would skip it honestly.
    It is really sad, but having no voice acting would have been better. 3/4 of the people that they have voice acting (from what I have played and seen in beta) are f'ing TERRIBLE.
    The graphics are really not very good if you aren't running on a top of the line computer, the game overall just feels completely unfinished.
    The combat feels like IDK...wonky? It just feels completely off, almost like it is just a tacked on afterthought.
    I doubt it will survive with being subscription based, maybe if they go F2P with it after they fix the massive amounts of issues it has.
    The dark, end of the world ambiance is pretty well done though.

Having SERIOUS issues in the beta even just a few weeks ago and hearing that they are releasing it tomorrow (Jul 3rd) just shows how little they are invested in it's success. Not to mention it is published by EA. You like your money? Not as much as EA likes your money. So look forward to paying a sub fee AND having an in-game cash shop.

I played in CB and bought lifetime. Here's my view on The Secret World.

The quests/missions are amazing. They are fun and each faction gets different quest completed responses, some are very funny.

The monsters and the setting look great. Tesselation really brings the world alive. However, I think this game totally failed on character creation. The CC for females can be rather jacked up and out of proportion. There is no way you can think the world graphics look bad, in my opinion, if you can run the game on the high settings.

I'm overall happy I bought the game, I like banging my head against a wall trying to figure out riddles for investigation missions. I like the horror theme. I'm not 100% satisfied on the graphics due to CC but I think it's a solid purchase.

If you have an older / slower PC I would give it a miss till you upgrade to be honest. I had a LOT of issues playing with an older machine that runs other MMOs on med settings fine.

The questing was great, very enjoyable. Best questing I have done in a game for a long time - I preferred it to GW2 questing by far tbh.

The combat would have been good if I had read up more and been more sensible in my approach, rather than rushing in with no clue and only ever using one type of weapon

The difficulty was good, I found it challenging but not impossible, and there were different types of missions to engage in, not just kill quests, with lots of stages to work through.

I would advise giving it a shot of you have the money / time.

I won't be buying it yet personally as my PC doesn't handle it well, and with GW2 and Mists approaching and a job etc... I won't have time for 3 MMOs in all honesty.