Poll: New Earth Discovered - Would you go?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    Deleted

New Earth Discovered - Would you go?

A habitable planet (called: Earth II) that is exactly like Earth, except twice as large, is found at a distance that can be traveled in 5 years by the most advanced human ships. However the cost of such a project is immense, the largest in history. The governments of the world pool resources, and after years of work, are able to develop a ship that can carry and sustain 500 people (50/50 male-to-female-ratio) to Earth II. Due to the cost, this is the only voyage planned for the next 50-60 years.

A global lottery is done and the winners get a place on the ship. You will land on Earth II in the year 2017. The planet is COMPLETELY untouched. It has forests, wildlife and an atmosphere similar to that which you can find on Earth. You will NEVER be able to come back to Earth and you will NEVER see your family or friends again. However, you will be one of the first humans to colonize the new Earth. A completely new frontier!

-You enter the lottery and win a ticket as 1 of only 500 humans going to Earth II. Would you go?

You didn't have any rule against this, so, I'm going to do it right away.

I'd sell my ticket and live life with my wife in a much better way. (Including paying off my immediate family's debts.)

will there be internet and Online Games? than yea if not it isnt not worthy we could watch vids they send back

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd probably be excluded in the lottery for not being 100% healthy anyway. >.>

I mean, if we're gunna invest that much in colonizing another planet, might as well send the healthy people.

Deleted
    I'd go, however I wouldn't expect it to end well. There could be diseases, bacteria etc all very deadly to humans lurking around there. Reason I'd go would mostly just be to witness a new planet first-hand before death at the very least.

I'd rather stay with my family and friends then go to a planet with well, nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Strip naked, cover myself in butter and go kick some ass

Will they have internet ?

Deleted
    Nope, I have a very comfortable life right here. Starting a new life on a new planet will mean hardship, disease, hunger and loss of all luxuries.

Deleted
    Yes, but only if I could bring my parents with me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Only if it doesn't have the same people that Old Earth has.

You know...idiots.

P.S. : By the way, this was already done as a sci-fi series on NBC back in the mid to late 90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_2_%28TV_series%29
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    Might as well just go live alone in the amazon.

"A new life awaits you in the Off-world colonies! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!"

Yeah, no thanks.

I'd sell it for over 1 billion dollar.

I supposed spouses were exempt from the general rule... After all; you need couples, right?
    If so, I'd go (with spouse).
    If not: Sell it for a hell of a lot of money, and use that money to buy myself and spouse into the next (much cheaper) voyage.

Deleted
    No..not lottery..we should send healthy and able boddied men and women to do that shit.You cant send random mofoers xD

Twice as large? Oh my, must be tiring to be around there with twice the gravity!

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    we don't have the ships to reach a planet with similar atmosphere in 5 years, and we won't have it for at least one (2 decades most probably due to building time) decade

deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Papir View Post
    No..not lottery..we should send healthy and able boddied men and women to do that shit.You cant send random mofoers xD
    So... The military, then?

That would also mean that you're settling a world with a fully militaristic culture of military hierarchy, though. Without a controlling democratic body, dictatorship is the only result.

Of course; you might not want to go for the military, but there's not that many survival experts who also hold a degree in social sciences, politicology, engineering, or any of the other things you really need when colonizing a planet.

Survival experts know how to survive. Progression is a completely different matter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    So... The military, then?

That would also mean that you're settling a world with a fully militaristic culture of military hierarchy, though. Without a controlling democratic body, dictatorship is the only result.

Of course; you might not want to go for the military, but there's not that many survival experts who also hold a degree in social sciences, politicology, engineering, or any of the other things you really need when colonizing a planet.

Survival experts know how to survive. Progression is a completely different matter.
    Stop jumping to conclusions, he/she never said that. Although the military would have the skills and the manpower they would not be a good choice for one prime reason. Fraternisation. You can't have soldiers shagging each other and expect to maintain order and discipline, it does not work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Papir View Post
    Picking and choosing will mean that the expedition won't reflect the human race. The selection would be mired with corruption and controversy. And the colonists would likely just be a bunch of raged out soldiers with PTSD.

I much prefer a random global lottery, so the new planets inhabitants reflect the human race as much as possible.