Tanking Dragon soul with Dps gear?

I am thinking of going Blood specc with full iLvL 408 dps gear with some mastery reforge, how many bosses would be possible to tank? in 10 man with 25% nerf?

Deleted
    You do have tank-trinkets I assume? And are you going normal or heroic?

i rather not use tank trinkets, and im going heroic

Quote Originally Posted by Friberg View Post
    i rather not use tank trinkets, and im going heroic
    You should be able to tank every boss except Warmaster Blackhorn and Warlord Zonz with dps gear, assuming your guild has everything on farm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TsAIdoG View Post
    You should be able to tank every boss except Warmaster Blackhorn and Warlord Zonz with dps gear, assuming your guild has everything on farm.
    Depending on your raids DPS, Blackhorn is easy to tank with DPS gear, you just have to rotate CD's and make sure you've got a full BS before taunting.

Deleted
    well i only have avrg. 400 dps gear (405 tank) I did morchok(H) and Ultraxion (H) very doable in dps gear. And with a little side step, hagara (H) will become piss easy. The other bosses i havent tryed yet.

As far as reforging goes, i use gurth (416) and with dps gear i have 1600 mastery, 2000 haste and 1400 crit. Be ready to see some grumpy dps hehe
    Last edited by mmocc34ec2fa6b; 2012-07-01 at 11:15 PM.

should be able to do all the bosses on heroic with dps gear as long as you have already been doing them.
    if it's a progression kill you should switch to tank gear
    madness you'll still probably want like stam trinkets

Nice will be fun! thanks guys!

I've been tanking DS 10H with DPS gear on and off since the 5% nerf and been doing pretty well fine on most bosses. Whenever I tank Madness, though, I make sure to put on my tank set but even then only because I need the avoidance from it for using Army as a CD.
    Last edited by Vereesa; 2012-07-02 at 10:40 AM.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

I've been tanking the first 5 fights in dps gear (full dps gear, not even mastery reforged) since the 10% nerf, and have done the last 3 in full dps gear the last couple weeks. Blackhorn hits silly-hard when you have no mastery still, and that fight has no need for dps, and you likely can't rank well on it unless your group is helping you cheese it because it depends so much on downtime between drakes, so I wouldn't recommend it there. Spine is also kind of a silly place to worry about dps these days, but it's very doable. Madness can get a little scary if your blood shield falls off between platforms and you're relying on a lesser external cooldown for one of the impales, but it's a fun one to do in dps gear.

Deleted
    Best advise i can give is :
    -do a first run with blood 4p bonus and tank trinkets. go crusader rune-enchant too
    -do a second run with full dps gear if the previous went really well

Ultrax and Yorshy say hi.
    P.S Rune Strike activating 4p mastery buff.

I do this all the time. It's really fun too! Enjoy it.

Did it today! did 7 of the fights in blood specc and my normal unholy reforge, was fun! did not think it would be so easy! whats the point in tanks! just do DS with 8 DPS and 2 healers!

Can you guys provide logs? In my tank set Warlord Zon melee me for 100k+ sometimes. I want to see how hard you guys hit hit in dps gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fearcazic View Post
    Can you guys provide logs? In my tank set Warlord Zon melee me for 100k+ sometimes. I want to see how hard you guys hit hit in dps gear.
    My guess is external healer CD's after 5 stacks.. I use a mix sometimes and we are by no means an 8/8H guild.. Hunter using the turtle at 7 stacks is amazing, pally hand of Sacrifice and other asundry things can easily keep u alive.
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckadoodle View Post
    My guess is external healer CD's after 5 stacks.. I use a mix sometimes and we are by no means an 8/8H guild.. Hunter using the turtle at 7 stacks is amazing, pally hand of Sacrifice and other asundry things can easily keep u alive.
    I see. We do 7-5-5-5. I seem to die at 7 stacks a lot but if I live we have no problem with the encounter. I didn't know even at 25% nerf the 7 stack still hits that hard. I thought it gets harder as the encounter goes on. So after 7 bounces he loses his buff? The next time we go 5-5-5 it is easier since it doesn't go to 6 or 7 bounces?

I'm in a casual raid guild that is 5/8H because of the nerfs. Otherwise we wouldn't even be 1/8h.

Quote Originally Posted by fearcazic View Post
    I see. We do 7-5-5-5. I seem to die at 7 stacks a lot but if I live we have no problem with the encounter. I didn't know even at 25% nerf the 7 stack still hits that hard. I thought it gets harder as the encounter goes on. So after 7 bounces he loses his buff? The next time we go 5-5-5 it is easier since it doesn't go to 6 or 7 bounces?

I'm in a casual raid guild that is 5/8H because of the nerfs. Otherwise we wouldn't even be 1/8h.
    zon'ozz gains an increasing damage and attack speed buff throughout the encounter (this one for zon'zz 10man heroic http://www.wowhead.com/spell=109410)
    zon'ozz loses this buff when he gets hit by the ball.
    so it's not necessarily just how many stacks the ball has, but also how long it takes to bounce the ball. so it's possible that depending on your strategy, he could have the same # of stacks at 7 bounce as would at 5.

Deleted
    When we go DS heroic, the only fights I don't equip my dps gear is Warmaster and Hagara. I don't do it on Hagara as several people still have issues with not LoSing me when they get ice blocked, and Warmaster as with only 2 healers and him hitting like a bus I would probably be one dead DK.

One thing I have noticed, that works for me, is a reforge of my dps gear (I only ever dps Madness these days so a reforge before that fight is never an issue).
    The stat priority I go for is (using heroic Gurth) Hit (8%) = Exp (26) > Haste > Crit > Mastery. It's given me a couple of top 10 ranks and I tend to pull better numbers with this reforge as opposed to standard unholy reforge

I also like to use the FL DPS 2 piece (pre-pull)to pool about RP to use AoTD and DRW on pull, DRW post diseases can pull some decent numbers as a 'pet'

Quote Originally Posted by TehPhailLord View Post
    The stat priority I go for is (using heroic Gurth) Hit (8%) = Exp (26) > Haste > Crit > Mastery.

As a Prot Warrior that tanks in DPS gear a lot, Exp to the Hard cap is worth more for us than Crit and Haste. I'm not sure about DKs, but it might be something for you to look into.