Thanks for the responses guys. I did end up finding a beginner's guide that did a really good job of setting me in the right direction. Shoutout to ZiggyD and his awsome beginners guide, how to build, and complete build vids. Here is a link to his beginners playlist... Just in case anyone else needed it.

I ended up trying both the molten strike and (his) tornado shot / evasion / kingofthehill ranger build.

I got them both to twenty, and now I think I'm just going to stick with the ranger.

Took me forever, but I decided that as much as I love the HC adrenaline rush, it would be suicidal to charge into things I knew almost nothing about. Therefore I ended up making both a rampage and a beyond toon of each of the two classes. I would teach myself how to melee (or ranged) a boss, then push through with my HC toon. So I actually ended up moving 4 toons to level 20... but I now have a decent foundation.

I had two quick questions from the weekend. Is the general chat specific to the league (when i chat in beyond, is it only other HC toons)? Are the Masters saved to the toon, or the league, or the difficulty? Felt like they are saved to the league (or difficulty), but since I only got them to lvl2, I couldn't tell if they started at lvl 2 on my next toon, or if I just didn't see them level up.

Is the general chat specific to the league (when i chat in beyond, is it only other HC toons)?
    Yes.

Are the Masters saved to the toon, or the league, or the difficulty?
    League.

- - - Updated - - -

So GCPman was banned? What is this, GGG? Who is the real power behind GCPman and GCPpimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Yes.

League.

- - - Updated - - -

So GCPman was banned? What is this, GGG? Who is the real power behind GCPman and GCPpimp?
    Never heard of him before, but that's just my own ignorance and probably the disable chat function working against me :P
    Interesting read for those that, like I didn't, know.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/...poses_himself/

GCPman talks about the ban.

PLEASE BEWARE: THERE IS A LOT OF CONTROVERSIAL RANTING IN THIS POST PLEASE DO NOT GET UPSET.

EDIT:

Evidence has been sent to Support@Grindinggear.com

Although unfortunately the banning of my account has forced these players to abandon ship they are most likely off loading their currency and setting up new account identities. After they found out i got banned, all contact has been cut and i have been removed from their skypes and banned from the TS channel.

I do still feel this was handled poorly and i hope in future cases. AN ACTUAL INVESTIGATION SHOULD BE PERFORMED BEFORE TAKING ACTION.

We have lots of speculation again on the nature of this ban.

I would like to start with the facts:
    It is true my account has been has been permanently banned and there is NO CHANCE IN HELL that support will ever give access back to the account.

It may surprise you but the ban on my account came as a shock too me i honestly did think that none of the actions taken on my account justified a ban.

Everyone knows the people i was getting currency off was most likely either a recipe, bug or some Chinese bot farmers. From my experience we can rule out botters, the guys i dealt with was certainly 100% american (fluent english) and a few of them i spoke to on skype. I was never really told the method of obtaining the amount of GCP they did but anyone with half a brain knows that there is something fishy going on.

Now i know for a fact these guys was the RMT kings they control everything on the market. They gave me advice on how to effectively play the the market from what they have learned. they blatantly admit their RMT and are open about it through social media.

I have had a short chat with support about my ban and they are exercising their right to 'Terminate my account with no reason/explanation'. And yes i read the terms on conditions and apparently they have the power to ban you whether you broke a rule or not. This is far as i got with support... Micheal_GGG was great and very professional but was blatantly deflecting all my questions (Please don't hurt me Micheal_GGG we love you) but after about 3 responses i think he got pissed off at me and now i'm on GGG's ignore list lol

I find this the right time to state that GGG will never unban whether i prove my innocence or not, admitting fault would hurt them more than just banning an innocent player.

We are all wondering what the justification of the ban was, people might say that i was involved with the wrong people and had it coming.

MIND FUCK BOMB INCOMING :

I have been told that the ban was executed after an 'In-Depth investigation' i would like to confirm that this was complete BULLSHIT i can call BULLSHIT on this because if there really was an investigation why is it that the accounts that was selling IMPOSSIBLE GCP RATES which WAS SO OBVIOUS RMT'ERS MY GRANDMOTHER COULD OF SPOTTED IT, THESE ACCOUNTS WAS LVL25/LVL1 (accounts need level 25min to trade currency) THESE REMAIN UNBANNED AND CONTINUE TO RMT.

These accounts move literally 100's of exalts a day they are so out in the open about their RMT that if i named them you would recognize them from trade chat.

STATEMENT: I'm not gonna get unbanned, but for the record even though i was involved with these people i only profited from it with in-game wealth. THESE PEOPLE WAS RMT! THEY ARE STILL ACTIVE RIGHT NOW IN TRADE CHAT SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK

Now after the investigation they decided not to ban the numerous level 1 accounts which have 60+ tabs full of currency.

STATEMENT BY GGG: 'We can't provide specific details about his ban; however the action was taken after an in-depth investigation was recently concluded'

That investigation was really in-depth GGG. you banned a player with multiple high-level characters who actually plays the game and leave the army of RMT abuse to thrive.

I know 10+ of their account names that all are lvl25/lvl1 with full stashes of currency. ALL REMAIN UNBANNED.

THANKS FOR LISTENING TO MY RANT. AND AGAIN THANKS FOR A GREAT RIDE IN POE. PLEASE DONT HATE ME

TL;DR

'DONATE $15k OR GET FUCKED IN THE ASS' -Grinding Gear Games

Deleted
    From my experience we can rule out botters, the guys i dealt with was certainly 100% american (fluent english) and a few of them i spoke to on skype.
    Lol, this made me chuckle. Cause only Chinese can bot!

He resold currency that couldn't have been acquired without boting or duping...what did he expect would happen?

Unrelated note: The master grind is pretty brutal...only 1,6 million XP to go now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    He resold currency that couldn't have been acquired without boting or duping...what did he expect would happen?

Unrelated note: The master grind is pretty brutal...only 1,6 million XP to go now though.
    More importantly is the key "also". I don't think he shouldn't be banned, but if it's true what he says, the key here is that his suppliers didn't get banned. If that's true, anyone could conclude (assuming his sources are real) that GGG didn't actually investigate anything.

These kinds of cases, everyone is actually helped more by full transparency, instead of the 'we can't disclose' bullshit. GGG would be helped by it, if they are telling the truth, because it would slam the door on anything this GCPMan says and the community would be helped, because it makes clear how far it reached and how harshly you will be dealt with.

The fact that GGG doesn't disclose anything, makes me assume GCPMan is most likely correct.

Deleted
    If people have the knowledge that the currency they buy is from RMT or whatever, they should probably get a warning or a temp ban.

But anyway, it was obvious in this case, so the guy isn't innocent at all.

I think the ban is unfair to GCPman if it can be proven that GCPman himself did not exchange real money for virtual goods &/or did not directly exploit the game in some manner.

When I worked for Frogster we (my team) did a fair bit of investigation into cases of botting, duping, exploiting and RMT. And we never permanently banned the first party if they did not provably exert some breach of TOS.

GCPman, until proven otherwise, was simply trading with other agents of the game. If trading with suspected RMT users alone causes a ban, that makes anyone who traded with GCPman (including Fencers here) accomplice to any potential RMT/exploitation of the game the third party might have engaged in.

It seems like GGG acted with a heavy hand on this and did not investigate the real source of the Invasion/Beyond League GCP Wars.

This isn't particularly flattering either in light of the recent "Rulers of Wraeclast get preferred treatment" accusations on the official forums. It also kinda il-legitimatizes a lot of the higher level ladder leaders that did 19/20 their gems in the first week of Invasion/Beyond. With exchange rates so low as to be foolish for serious players to not +20% many key gems- even taking away the factor of gemcutters.

League validity is in jeopardy, IMO.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2014-09-30 at 02:40 PM.

I agree, banning GCPman is dodgy at best. In GGG's defense, he did pretty much admit he knew all along that they were RMTers. It's one thing to trade with someone who seems too good to be true and you know is probably not legit, it's another thing to intentionally trade with someone you KNOW is not legit with the express intent of exploiting the economy. We're not talking about wanting to 20% a few gems for the sake of your own character and progression, we're talking about abusing the flow of currency and reaping hundreds of exalts.

The troubling part is the lack of statement from GGG. I still think Chris should just make a reddit post explaining the situation or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    The troubling part is the lack of statement from GGG. I still think Chris should just make a reddit post explaining the situation or something.
    He should really do that because it seems like the water is boiling quite a lot, if not too much.

Would definitely clear a lot of stuff and give more information to the players in regards to trading with (obvious) RMTers.

I think the ban is unfair to GCPman if it can be proven that GCPman himself did not exchange real money for virtual goods &/or did not directly exploit the game in some manner.
    I think that ship sailed when he came out on Reddit admitting he knew that they came from some doggy source and even taking advice on how to exploit the economy with them...

It's one thing buying shit you suspect is from farmbots and another to knowingly do it and admit to it on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I think that ship sailed when he came out on Reddit admitting he knew that they came from some doggy source and even taking advice on how to exploit the economy with them...

It's one thing buying shit you suspect is from farmbots and another to knowingly do it and admit to it on a public forum.
    Its common sense, he was involved no matter what, why he didnt reported in the first place instead of making profitssss of it? the ban was deserved. He should have kept a low profile instead of going to reddit to gain more popularity.
    Last edited by Clrg; 2014-09-30 at 06:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried to buy something from GCP man for like 12 hours straight of him being online and he never replied once, probably botting and trying to cover it...
    You're a towel.

Soo, first time getting a carto box since the buff/nerf and even though the thing was a rare box i opened it without ID'ing and got 17 maps, previous ones i only get a max of half a dozen.

As for GCPman...good, he deserved to get banned and he knows it, hopefully he did forward the account names of those he was getting them from but it's more likely that since he was the front man he got hit and GGG will have taken note of those involved and will wait until the have scattered to new accounts and hammer them.

Man this grind got bad when you're down to 3 masters left, watching 820 for the once you need is like watching paint dry...

- - - Updated - - -

Finally done!

Grats! That is indeed a feat.

Congratulations.

But also, that master grind. Holy smokes.

Thanks.

Yeah the master grind was painful at times. Not so much for the grind it self but the fact that you had to keep track of a chat channel every minute you played and not only that you had to compete with every pure lecher out there.

The design mistake they did with it was to allow the sharing that goes on right now. Only the players in the map/zone when the master greets the player should have been eligible for the reward. That way daily rotations would still be a thing but if you wanted to farm outside that you would either have to do it as a group or solo. XP gains would need to be tweaked a bit for a system like that but it would have been far better for the game imo. Toss in a small bonus XP for being grouped as an incentive and it's beneficial to play as a group as well.

Agreed, they need to disable sharing and nerf the EXP requirement by 99% and then it'll be okay. I don't think I have the time for all level 8s even if I tried, I'm just now finishing up the first 7 and that will probably take me the next week or two. Hopefully the challenges next league are less...eh =p