Deleted
    Hello! Could someone recommend a fun build to play (preferably melee)? I haven't played in a long time, started in Warbands last week, got Mjölner yesterday, and sold it for ~14ex. Now I think I have enough currency for most of the builds and need recommendation. Thanks in advance!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You really can only do this in a limited sense in POE. Luck is a much bigger factor and wealth becomes easily centralized in POE as a result.

Even those who play a lot may not ever see the wealth accumulation of one who simply got a lucky drop. And the way things work in POE, that lucky drop might sit in an inventory for the entire league at "999 mirrors - no lowball" or roll entire stash pages of exalts making the "cost sink" utterly trivial for high end crafting.
    I have to agree with this (although personally I don't care so much as I play PoE pretty casually). Some stuff is so mindboggingly rare, that playing 100s if not 1000s of hours does not even come close to giving you good odds of finding said items, and if you happen to find one, GG.

Quote Originally Posted by rizbo View Post
    Hello! Could someone recommend a fun build to play (preferably melee)? I haven't played in a long time, started in Warbands last week, got Mjölner yesterday, and sold it for ~14ex. Now I think I have enough currency for most of the builds and need recommendation. Thanks in advance!
    It's not melee but I'll mention it as you can (easily) get all the gear required for it at your budget:
    http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1303523

I am playing this for the current league and im in love.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

There is a devastating CoC Barrage Magma Ball set up on the forums that is worth looking into. Think it's in Shadow or Ranger.

You really can only do this in a limited sense in POE. Luck is a much bigger factor and wealth becomes easily centralized in POE as a result.
    Luck has little to do with it, you can grind about the same amount of currency farming Voll as that "lucky guy" who just got a Shav's during he's map clear if we look at it over time. Throughout every challenge league I played my "luck" has been about the same by the end of it. I roll a 6L, I get a tier 1 unique, I find about 10-14 exalts and so on.

Even those who play a lot may not ever see the wealth accumulation of one who simply got a lucky drop. And the way things work in POE, that lucky drop might sit in an inventory for the entire league at "999 mirrors - no lowball" or roll entire stash pages of exalts making the "cost sink" utterly trivial for high end crafting.
    The item is wealth, what the player decides to do with it is largely irrelevant.

There are several notable examples of this happening in various league in the past- where a handful of individuals control the majority wealth. Naturally, it is my opinion that an unregulated player driven market is utter garbage. Though I think the overall frustration of POE trading and the veil of ignorance around external tools speaks on some level to the generally poor state of trading as well.

The entire thing hinges on exploitation.

I feel this is wrong.
    So some players use their knowledge of the market in order to make their wealth grow...this isn't something unique to them that isn't possible for anyone else to do. Again, it's about time and dedication. If you choose not to trade or just trade a fraction of the next guy you will generate less wealth, that is however your choice and not something to blame anyone but your self for. You can compensate for not playing the market by simply playing the game more and get more drops.

Free markets give everyone the same opportunity but you have to work for it if you want it.

Divination cards does spread wealth a bit though as now you can find fractions of really good items and sell them at that fraction of the items price.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    I find about 10-14 exalts
    wait what

I find about 10-14 exalts
    10-14 exalts
    r u srs right now
    I've seen two exalts in the past four leagues combined, I hope you meant to say "accumulate" or "trade" or something. I mean I'll admit I can't play that much anymore but

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, the economy is softcore does not really matter as dying in it is nowhere near as painful as dying in HC, so people can just farm all day and get a ton of stuff, and if thousands do that, the currency is there, so inflation.

IT happens in softcore games. IN the temp leagues it is nowhere near as bad
    You're a towel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    wait what

r u srs right now
    I've seen two exalts in the past four leagues combined, I hope you meant to say "accumulate" or "trade" or something. I mean I'll admit I can't play that much anymore but
    Find as in pick up from the ground. I do play a lot though going for 8/8.

Edit: If we're talking about accumulate we're talking 100ex minimum per league.
    Last edited by Redblade; 2015-07-18 at 11:39 AM.

Deleted
    Find as in pick up from the ground. I do play a lot though going for 8/8.
    How much combined /played total ends you up with 14 exalted orbs? Also, how much IIQ on average? Sounds like a completely ridiculous amount to have simply found as drops. I think I've found all of one exalted orb as a drop in my entire PoE career. I'd just be interested in knowing if you've actually played anywhere near 14 times more to find those 14. I'm thinking you should play the lottery, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    How much combined /played total ends you up with 14 exalted orbs? Also, how much IIQ on average? Sounds like a completely ridiculous amount to have simply found as drops. I think I've found all of one exalted orb as a drop in my entire PoE career. I'd just be interested in knowing if you've actually played anywhere near 14 times more to find those 14. I'm thinking you should play the lottery, though.
    Way to much effort to try and figure that out now when the leagues have ended but to give you an idea I have now with the league being 8 days ish old 3d 4h 7m /played.

Deleted
    Way to much effort to try and figure that out now when the leagues have ended but to give you an idea I have now with the league being 8 days ish old 3d 4h 7m /played.
    OK. So, that's 37.5% of the time being spent playing. Let's assume that's the amount you spend playing throughout a league. The leagues have been 3-4 months, so let's say you found 14 exalted during a four month league, using 37.5% of that four months to play.

So, 4 * 30 = 120 days, 120 * 24 = 2880 hours, 2880 * 37.5% = 1080 hours. So, around 1000 hours, 40 days ish, /played for 14 exalted.

Still seems extremely high to me. In other words, lots and lots of luck.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2015-07-18 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    OK. So, that's 37.5% of the time being spent playing. Let's assume that's the amount you spend playing throughout a league. The leagues have been 3-4 months, so let's say you found 14 exalted during a four month league, using 37.5% of that four months to play.

So, 4 * 30 = 120 days, 120 * 24 = 2880 hours, 2880 * 37.5% = 1080 hours. So, around 1000 hours, 40 days ish, /played for 14 exalted.

Still seems extremely high to me. In other words, lots and lots of luck.
    The fact that I get similar results every league speaks against your luck theory though...

What content is being run can matter, how fast you clear, if you use IIQ or not and so on. It's not only about time spent but also how efficient you are when you play.

Free markets give everyone the same opportunity but you have to work for it if you want it.
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/vi...ge/6#p10493542

The "economy" in Poe is open for monopoly and control from a little group of people. Read the post from jentry and wood.

Deleted
    The fact that I get similar results every league speaks against your luck theory though...
    Quite the contrary, it actually lends credence to the notion that you're just extremely lucky.

I find about 10-14 exalts and so on.
    Shaking my head here. Speechless.

Shaking my head here. Speechless.
    I was literally just about to post "can't wait for Fencers to jump in and add that she didn't find a single exalt for four leagues straight."

Although I have found a Divine this league already, and they are supposedly rarer than exalts, but I am yet unconvinced.

Deleted
    Why do I die to the stupidest shit when I play HC then make a SC because the net here sucks and I just walk through everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I was literally just about to post "can't wait for Fencers to jump in and add that she didn't find a single exalt for four leagues straight."

Although I have found a Divine this league already, and they are supposedly rarer than exalts, but I am yet unconvinced.
    Only found one exalt and two divines so far this league so I count my self as unlucky so far as most of my guildies have found at least 2 exalts each.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clerigon View Post
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/vi...ge/6#p10493542

The "economy" in Poe is open for monopoly and control from a little group of people. Read the post from jentry and wood.
    So?

What's preventing you from doing the same?

I'm happy if I find 1 or 2 exalts in a league, how the hell do you find that many in a league? If I found that many I'd be running around in my birthday suit!

So?

What's preventing you from doing the same?
    Life? :P

But honestly, winning a race by crippling your opponent isn't exactly fair play.