Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchouli Knowledge View Post
    Also trailer:
    That trailer is one of the best I've ever seen. Seriously, can't wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    Again, I have no problem with this. As long as, on the battlefield, I have significant control of the units in the army. If it makes a legion with it's supporting archers all at once, that's a simplified step I can handle.

As for the provinces, rather than dozens of regions, also for the better. Micro-managing settlements wasn't fun, and the computer was retarded if you set it to AI run in most of the previous games.
    Seriously. The AI has always been one of Total Wars Achilles heels. That is where I always hope for improvement. I've bought all the Total Wars games, except for that mobile one, and while Medieval II was my favorite. I expect that R2TW will be well worth the retail price for me. Mid to late 2013 will give me time to invest some tax refund money into upgrading my rig. Better mobo, cpu, gpu, etc, etc...

I'm going to want to play this game in all its eye-candy glory.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Deleted
    My one concern is hype. Rome is generally considered to be the best Total War game and I know a fair few people who were disappointed post-Empire. They've got allllottt to live up to.

Omfg yes yes yes yes!!!

EDIT: as for hype - I'm not worried. Shogun 2 absolutely delivered, and even though Empire had a lot of flaws, I still had a lot of fun playing it.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Jizz, best rts serie no doubt, nothing comes close to the epicness. Btw i still play Rome total war with the Roma Surrectum 2 mod, my body is ready indeed, GOTY whenever it will come, omg the hype will kill me.

Should also add that Total War IS my all time favorite game serie, still play Rome and Medieval 2 with mods.
    Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2012-07-03 at 10:34 AM.

I am definitely going to get this — I love the Total War series, but despite the acclaim could not bring myself to by Shogun 2 (really don't care for the Samurai setting) — but, I really wish it had been something else. How many times can Total War revisit the same eras/settings? Personally I was hoping for something with fantasy units/tactics/buildings/etc, whether it was to be set as an alternative history or in its own world, not revisiting Rome. Give me my Mages and Necromancers, hell maybe even a flying unit or two.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    I am definitely going to get this — I love the Total War series, but despite the acclaim could not bring myself to by Shogun 2 (really don't care for the Samurai setting) — but, I really wish it had been something else. How many times can Total War revisit the same eras/settings? Personally I was hoping for something with fantasy units/tactics/buildings/etc, whether it was to be set as an alternative history or in its own world, not revisiting Rome. Give me my Mages and Necromancers, hell maybe even a flying unit or two.
    Ugh, I'd much rather have them dip into less popular settings, like Japan, imperial China, Africa, Mesoamerica - then fantasy. I am starting to get really burnt out on fantasy - it feels like writers can't stretch their imaginations past cliche tropes anyway.

About damn time!

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 07:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    Ugh, I'd much rather have them dip into less popular settings, like Japan, imperial China, Africa, Mesoamerica - then fantasy. I am starting to get really burnt out on fantasy - it feels like writers can't stretch their imaginations past cliche tropes anyway.
    That's an uphill battle though. This game genre in general already restricts the field, if you further restrict it with unpopular settings, you sell less. While it'd be nice to believe they're focused on quality of the game rather than mass appeal, mass appeal drives development dollars to make the game better. Rome's a good choice because the era already has a lot of interest. They could easily tap into hundreds of years of mythology and lore and integrate it with a real era to make things more interesting though and hit both your needs and the needs of the fantasy game player.

Quote Originally Posted by achaeon View Post
    About damn time!

---------- Post added 2012-07-03 at 07:21 AM ----------

That's an uphill battle though. This game genre in general already restricts the field, if you further restrict it with unpopular settings, you sell less. While it'd be nice to believe they're focused on quality of the game rather than mass appeal, mass appeal drives development dollars to make the game better. Rome's a good choice because the era already has a lot of interest. They could easily tap into hundreds of years of mythology and lore and integrate it with a real era to make things more interesting though and hit both your needs and the needs of the fantasy game player.
    Roman Empire is simply a very fitting setting for Total War on its own. It has rich and diverse enough history and encompasses enough cultures not to require any fictional additives. You have germanic/gaellic cultures for elf/druid flavor, north africa for great-cities-in-desert kind of flavor, Greece for classical-epic-heroes flavor, and you have the Rome itself. History can be more colorful than any fantasy.

I guess less-popular settings could be done as DLC/expansion type affairs, same as fantasy elements.

Love the Total War series but I am not so keen on the versions that have so much diplomacy stuff in them. I like more of the pure wargame part. I wish we could turn most of the diplomacy off other than the very basics.

I also wish CA would take a couple more polish/bug fix passes at all of their games. Even after the final bug patches they release their games tend to be somewhat buggy. It actually took me 8 years (as in THIS year) to actually finish a game of the original Rome: Total War because I finally had a computer where I could allocate enough memory (6 GB) to the game and so not crash from poor memory handling. Napoleon Total War still gives me sound issues that can lead to crashing.

finaly empire / napoleon / shogun 2 was a waste hope they will make RTW2 as perfect as original was ( still Rome total war is the best

on what appears to be that in game screenshot, city battle 1, there is some graffiti on the building on the far left. or is that an artist's signature?

10+ Year Old Account
    Complete and utter Total War.

Ahh memories of battling my friend as Gaul barbarians, hiding in the trees and popping out to take out his cavalry.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Love the Total War series but I am not so keen on the versions that have so much diplomacy stuff in them. I like more of the pure wargame part. I wish we could turn most of the diplomacy off other than the very basics.

I also wish CA would take a couple more polish/bug fix passes at all of their games. Even after the final bug patches they release their games tend to be somewhat buggy. It actually took me 8 years (as in THIS year) to actually finish a game of the original Rome: Total War because I finally had a computer where I could allocate enough memory (6 GB) to the game and so not crash from poor memory handling. Napoleon Total War still gives me sound issues that can lead to crashing.
    O.o
    I completed Rome on a laptop with 512mb of ram and a 64mb ati card...
    The only issues I've ever had with them is running them on VASTLY inadequate hardware (or turning Shogun 2 up too high )

The new teutoborg forest battle trailer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just hope it doesn't take 3 minutes to load up the initial game, and 1 minute per battle load screen.
    Like shogun 2's
    Last edited by Affixiation; 2013-02-28 at 10:29 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've loved every TW game and I expect I'll love this one too.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.