Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is WoW to blame for peoples anger towards D3?

One of the biggest arguments about Diablo 3 is there is no "end-game".

Now either, a) These people NEVER EVER played diablo 1 or diablo 2.... or b) WoW / Other MMOs has begun to cloud peoples vision of what Diablo 3 was suppose to be.

A lot of posts I am reading are calling for content patches (something on present in MMOs)... there was a rumor that the PVP patch would be DLC and have a fee... and people freaked out (yet every other non-mmo does this now... CoD... etc...)....

I think people are seriously confused as to what Diablo 3 is... or is meant to be. Granted, a ladder system gave people a reason to restart... the season ended, you had no choice...

Diablo 2 had no end game. End game was trading in towns, and PVPing in the front of act 1 town. PVP is coming soon, and will be 1000x more structured then Diablo 2... so people cannot say "well d2 had pvp at least".. it's coming, very soon, and for free as promised.

What do other people think? Has other MMOs (mainly WoW, since it gave 1m D3 copies for free, and is a blizzard product) responsible for the poor reviews Diablo 3 is getting?

Deleted
    Wow isn't to blame. The people who complain about no end game are the ones to blame. They either didn't do any research or chose to convince themselves that D3 would be different from it's predecessors.

Deleted
    Possibly. Games evolved since D2 and peoples expectations evolved with them. Blizzard used to be innovative company, now they settled with rehashing their old hits like they did with Starcraft 2. Diablo 3 is even worse, its dumbed down version of D2.
    Last edited by mmocb01581ca84; 2012-07-02 at 03:47 PM.

WoW isn't to blame; it's people's own stupidity. They got themselves way overhyped, to the point where the game could never hope to live up to their expectations. They're also trying to make D3 into something it isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Idiots are to blame, complaining about DRM and inability to play the first few days of release absolutely retarded... do their lives revolve around their PC? have they not heard of the out side world? like i said, idiots....

Of course WoW isn't to blame. People are just dumb. D3 is a completely different genre of game.

Can you imagine beating Doom, or finishing a...season...or whatever...in Madden (I don't play this game), and then saying, "What, there's nothing else? There's no endgame?"
    Once you go troll, you never reroll. -heard on cynicalbrit.com. Epic.

WoW isnt too blame, problem is that D3 is just bad, not as a game, as a Diablo game.

I dont care what others say, D2 was 10 times more addicting and fun, i couldnt log off in D2, i always said "One more mf run, one more duel!" , now i cant log on in d3 without hating myself for being so bored for the last 2-3 weeks or so.

Diablo games isnt about end game its about if its rewarding and fun.

In D2 you kept farming cause even the "Crap legendary drop" or in D3 numbers, a 61 item level weapon, like Titans for Javazon, could still sell, it wasnt Grandfather or Windforce,but it could SELL and slowly you could get what you wanted from those titan crappy drops.

In D3 it wasnt possible after the second week, cause everything is about DPS numbers.

D3 is just a bad diablo game from every aspect, good game, but not a diablo.
    Last edited by potis; 2012-07-02 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    WoW isnt too blame, problem is that D3 is just bad, not as a game, as a Diablo game.

I dont care what others say, D2 was 10 times more addicting and fun, i couldnt log off in D2, i always said "One more mf run, one more duel!" , now i cant log on in d3 without hating myself for being so bored for the last 2-3 weeks or so.
    OMG, dude. Stop playing the game! What fuels this mindset that, "Well, I find this game boring, but I'm gonna keep playing anyway."

A GAME is a GAME. If it's boring to you, just stop playing it! I'm sure there are plenty of other games that will interest you!

and here i was thinking hardcore inferno was endgame content for the people that felt act 4 inferno was too easy or that the game "ended" too soon.

silly me

Quote Originally Posted by TheWerebison View Post
    OMG, dude. Stop playing the game! What fuels this mindset that, "Well, I find this game boring, but I'm gonna keep playing anyway."

A GAME is a GAME. If it's boring to you, just stop playing it! I'm sure there are plenty of other games that will interest you!
    The logging on means, pretty much once every 3 days for maybe 25mins, mostly checking for friends..I play other games also, i just have that feeling "maybe they will fix it at some point, dont abandon it completely"

10+ Year Old Account
    People didn't check what the game was. Diablo and all other ARPG's and dungeon crawlers have always had their own subset of gamers. They're not the same as an MMO and a lot of people failed to research just what Diablo was. WoW has nothing to do with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sznur View Post
    Possibly. Games evolved since D2 and peoples expectations evolved with them. Blizzard used to be innovative company, now they settled with rehashing their old hits like they did with Starcraft 2. Diablo 3 is even worse, its dumbed down version of D2.
    My thoughts exactly. Good luck though trying to convince all the Blizzard fan boys....

The logging on means, pretty much once every 3 days for maybe 25mins, mostly checking for friends..I play other games also, i just have that feeling "maybe they will fix it at some point, dont abandon it completely"
    Oh, I see. I assume you use RealID, do you enjoy WoW or Starcraft? You can see if your friends are playing another Blizzard game, if you're into either of those, so at least you won't have to log in to D3 anymore.

And yes, they WILL "fix" D3. Of course they will. D2 wasn't perfect when it came out, either, and it got MOST of its replayability when they gave us the expansion pack, which had neat jewels and runewords and stuff.

Anyway, don't think of it as abandoning the game. Realize that you have already paid for the game. Until they release the expansion, that is ALL you have to pay for. I haven't touched D3 for weeks now, but I know that when I want to play it again, it's there, and there's no extra fee. Just, y'know, don't feel compelled to play it.

Deleted
    Wow isn't to blame. Most people just expected something different with Diablo, mainly those that hadn't played D1 or D2.

If you want them to fix it, stop QQ and post solutions. I love D3. I just didn't play d2 till my eyes bled, so i'm not nostalgic like you of an old game, just like them wow vanilla players QQ'ing everything was better then. IT WASN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    Wow isn't to blame. The people who complain about no end game are the ones to blame. They either didn't do any research or chose to convince themselves that D3 would be different from it's predecessors.
    It's not that... it's that people's expectations of Video Games have evolved/changed.

There's a 11 year gap between D2 and D3...

There's an 12 year gap between Castlevania 1 (NES) and Castlevania: Symphony of the night (PS1)

Secondly, name me ONE fantasy-based game that has sold over 4 million in the past DECADE that's not either an MMORPG or a Sandbox-style game like Skyrim/Zelda? People expect a LOT more from their $60 these days, particularly when it comes to a fantasy-based game.

Times change... games evolve and players tastes change. Hell man, look at how much WoW has changed over the years due to player tastes changing!

Blizz tries going back to BC difficulty and style and the game subs start plummeting - and that was just a 4 year gap.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Are there idiots and fan boys who over-hyped themselves? Yes

Are there problems with the game? You bet.

But most all of those problems are balance issues. Whether they're invincible mobs in Inferno due to RNG/1-shotting melee or the lv. of items droping via RNG. Do these issues effect how "fun" the game is? Yes, very much. BUT, D3 is still quite fun and entertaining despite these short comings.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by Rédempteur View Post
    If you want them to fix it, stop QQ and post solutions. I love D3. I just didn't play d2 till my eyes bled, so i'm not nostalgic like you of an old game, just like them wow vanilla players QQ'ing everything was better then. IT WASN'T.

D2 was better, and i was 15 then, couldnt play it till my eyes bled out, no time..

My point is, 10 years ago, D2 was addictive because of the play model and the scaling.

In D3 you have WoW items in a Diablo game, everything is about DPS, back then only Barb was all about DPS on weapons, the rest could play specs without caring about DPS on weapons, of course "All skills +" was the strongest stat for the most part, but there were 234234234234 items with that, without including rare drops.

In D3 any weapon that isnt ilevel63 is simply vendor trash...Game loot system is badly made, maybe the legendary change will make it better.

Quote Originally Posted by rewn View Post
    Totally agree. I am not sure what sort of end game these people are expecting from an aprg. But no, it is not Wow's fault.

Not WoW in particular, though since it is the big boy it is the easiest/most likely target. However, it is sub-based games in general. People that play them expect an end-game, they expect something to keep them playing since they are paying to play. What they are not seeing is that D3 has no sub. You payed your $60, you play it until you are bored with it and you got your $60 worth out of it. Like a GTA game, or Uncharted, or any other single player game with no sub fee. Once you beat GTA did you complain there was no end-game? Once you beat Skyrim, did you complain there was no end-game? There is no sub so they do not have to add things to keep you playing. It's really that simple. The game has a clear and discernible ending to it, unlike an MMORPG with a monthly sub which never ends. It also happens to have a difficulty level added at teh end for die-hards who want to bash their heads against it for months. It was advertised to take months to clear, not sure why people seem to expect differently. Is it because some people DID beat it earlier using cheesy tactics and getting spoon-fed gear/gold?
    Last edited by Lathais; 2012-07-02 at 04:17 PM.