Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    While I loved Diablo I this really isn't true. You are just blatantly ignoring things, or forgetting, or you never played Diablo I in the first placed. Diablo I balance was horrible. Oh yea Soul Burners in Hell, Wizard whip out that sword and go hit it for 30 minutes. Yea very well tested alright. Balance among classes was terrible as well. The game was very small, about 1 act of D2 and D3, so obviously there weren't that many bugs.

Now let's move to D2. Exploits everywhere. Totally overpowered Runewords unbalancing the game. Totally overpowered builds like Hammerdin. Lame immunities again, see D1. Open world that's random? Yea every time the same square with a bit different layout. The Worm Hole tested? Surely they didn't test that or they'd have known that doing that with minions, or a party, or even a henchman is a nightmare (same goes for Arcane Sanctuary). Uniques were crap on release. Server was unstable and down most of the time for the entire first week. Unstable for all the 12 years I've played. Unable to enter games, remember the good old glowing door that never really glowed up and then it timed out. Disconnects everywhere. Lag. Dupes everywhere because items didn't have a unique ID.

Oh yea D2 was a finished product, and D3 is a mess.
    Hmmm. Why is balance > quality on a co-op game with PvP afterthought (which hasn't even made it into this particular sequel yet) even relevant? I keep seeing this bullshit "balance" excuse thrown around and all I can say is horseshit. You want to say that some players thought D3 was something it isn't and got pissed? Well all I can say to you, Blizzard, and anyone else who shares your "balance" theory is that you dont have a clue as to what Diablo is because your trying to "balance" a game that never had to be balanced before to be successful or to be fun. Stop trying to make Diablo something its not.
    Last edited by philefluxx; 2012-07-02 at 08:10 PM.

I like D3, but admit it needs some major work over the next few months. I think one of the biggest drawbacks, to me, is the weapons and their damage stats. As in a previous post the range of this dmg and the fact that it influences your characters damage so much is a turn off to me. I'd prefer the damage should scale by ilvl and be "static" and the main damage increases came through stats. To have a range from 500dps to 1500 dps then stats on top of it , is just a bit too random to me.. and yes I KNOW diablo is all about randomization. In the case of the damage on the weapons though, and how much it influences character damage, it just is a bit too important and not as fun for me.

Nope Diablo 3 is simply an extremely mediocre game.

If anything they where lucky it profited on WOW's playerbase otherwise there was no chance in the world such a game would sell over 6 million copies.

Diablo 3 will be for Blizzard what Dragon Age 2 was for Bioware imo. The deal breaker with its fans for future pre purchases.
    Last edited by MarizzaDraenor; 2012-07-02 at 09:12 PM.

I have never once heard somebody complain about the lack of an end-game, and i've seen alot of complaining.
    I never played Diablo1 and 2, but after D3 i thought i'd give D2 a try.

Imo D2 is superior to D3 in every aspect except the graphics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MarizzaDraenor View Post
    Nope Diablo 3 is simply an extremely mediocre game.

If anything they where lucky it profited on WOW's playerbase otherwise there was no chance in the world such a game would sell over 6 million copies.

Diablo 3 will be for Blizzard what Dragon Age 2 was for Bioware imo. The deal breaker with its fans for future pre purchases.
    The annual subscriber pass is not counted in the 6.5 million copies purchased. That was after 2 weeks. The number could be quite higher now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like the game a lot but it has a lot of flaws personally.

I can't say with a straight face that D2 is better than D3 because I am comparing games that span a half a generation. 15 year old me was easily amused and addicted to pretty much everything. 25 year old me approaches games a lot differently and sees them for what they are. What was fun for me 10 years ago isn't as fun as it is today.

That said I still enjoy the game a lot. There are some major flaws with the game but I assume they will get better over time. We however didn't get a huge jump in innovation for the gap between the games, this much is for certain.

I feel like a lot of us have been spoiled by MMOs and sand box games as of late. If a game doesn't last forever or have endless content, most of us complain. While a lot of my friends no longer play D3 most of them can see that it was still worth their 60 dollar purchase. All of them enjoyed the game up until Inferno that's STILL a major chunk of hours to be playing on one game. They didn't dislike Inferno because of difficulty either, it was just fatigue. Some people just don't like farming or doing the same thing over and over again, these are the same friends that no longer play WoW either.

I think if they can continue to inject items and clean up their itemization/affixes that this game will have a pretty long life. Given that they are likely making a killing off of RMAH it would be absolutely stupid for them to let the economy stagnate or not add some level of content periodically.

All opinion of course. I have fun playing the game but certainly not to the level that I did when playing D2 when I was 15. Then again, I don't think I've had that much fun playing ANY game as I did when I was that age. Also, my opinion is a little biased when I've made ~400 dollars casually playing a couple hours a day in the last 2 weeks. So there is that!

Diablo 3 is the kind of game I would get on a steam sale for $5 because to me thats all its worth.

People bang on about how its a multiplayer game yet removed something that keeps players actually playing. PVP.

There is also stupid loot drops forcing you to use the rmah unless you want to spend 10 weeks farming for some gear.

Also the rumour about the pvp bit being paid DLC? If I paid $60 for it I would expect the pvp to be FREE.

The game is way to short. 6-10 hours depending on how fast you play through it. And no, adding more difficulties isnt adding more content.

You dont say Cods campain in 30 hours long because it has 3-4 difficulties. Same goes for anything else.

Diablo 2 had no endgame, but Diablo 2 is a 12 year old game from a different time, with different standards, different expectations and with different goals behind its design.

Diablo 3 is designed to continue to make money with the auction house, for people to want to keep playing (and for blizzard to make money from their AH) they will want new content. It really is that simple, Diablo 2 had a small ammount of new content added, and a lot of changes and items put into the game throughout its long life. The new generation expects more though, the standard is higher now and if Blizzard wants people to keep playing, a lot of people to keep playing, then they need to keep putting out.

Its fine if they don't, but its also fine that the playerbase will drop a lot as a result.

Diablo2 had an endgame. Joining a random game called trade or duel or try to kill me and flawing around in town with that damn perfect griffon eye you just got from w.e boss (or bought lol). Or trolling people that you 1shot in duel. That was the endgame. Show people how badass ur toon is. How your rare items pwn most of the unique ppl had. Showing them in trade window even if u knew u would never trade it. Just to show ur epeen !

Not saying this would fix d3 but I think joining random game for quests with no possibilities other then chatting in the general chat which is flooded by goldfarmers to interact with other player killed the social aspect.

Btw. I liked to stay naked/without any stats on until lvl 85 then see my dmg goes from 10-20 to 40-50k all of the sudden .

At least Cata has the courtesy to give appropriate gear for the tier level and there was always some sort of skill/planning/coordination involved in fights. This is just an skillless RNGfest.

Some good things and bad things I see about the game just for input.

Good
    Using 6 skills at once rather than 2 in D2 and endless in Wow
    Quite like the idea of an AH even though it does kill some farming aspect
    Don't mind the increased quests
    I liked the original idea of going into a game with 6 skills and if you couldn't do it you had to go out to change. This way you could create a type of player for you without having the endless supply of spells if you get stuck. (you could leave game and pick 6 new skills). I find having disposal of every skill for your character means you lack distinct builds compared to D2 (Hammerdin v Shockadin v Healadin etc) This I feel is a let down.

Bad
    Game gives too much direction on quests. Wow went the same way with Quest helper and little dots showing you exactly where to go. It isn't a QUEST if the game says go here and kill these. A little like the Skeleton crown is in a crypt in the cemetery but there are 3 crypts basically in same place. Maybe make us work a little so we can rip a fist pump when we get the right one.
    DPS is way too important. A Wizard should get there DPS from using spells not my spells are awesome because I carry an awesome dagger.
    Terrible loot drops as mentioned, Its farm gold = go to AH.
    Runewords were cool but you can't necessarily have everything the same but I hope they have something that creates really rare items.

Might think of more but I have tried to be objective rather than the "game is shit lets bash it viewpoint that seems to be emerging"

Deleted
    You can and should expect a little bit more of Diablo 3 than from D1, gotta love this fanboys ..

I still think it's hilarious that people keep complaining about being forced to farm for a week or two to progress. Then the same people immediately go on about how great it was to farm for months in Diablo 2, with no real purpose or aim.

Some people act as though the level cap of 99 in Diablo 2 was some glorious end-game content, I'll say right now, those people are idiots. They don't realise that the level cap was made so high to artificially extend the game for a huge period of time. People had already done almost everything they could do, been through every area repeatedly, yet they blindly believed that they were getting something more out of the game.

If you've played Diablo 3 for more than 8 hours, it's worth the $60 price tag. You got a full game out of it, right there at that point in time. If you've played the game for over 80 hours, how can you say with a straight face that the game isn't worth $60? How can you justify saying a game's bad, if you've put that much time into it? Inferno is designed the way it is to artificially extend the game as it currently stands. The same way the level 99 cap did in D2. People try to glorify D2 all the time, but in the end it was just countless boss runs and XP grinds, for a false sense of satisfaction when you got yet another item that made the game even more of a joke to run through.

Furthermore, Diablo 2 wasn't the game-changing A++ game that some people seem to remember it as. Even in its reviews, it averaged out to an 85/100 game across the boards. I'll always agree with PC Zone's (UK magazine) review of it at 72%.

Lastly, if Diablo 3 was easy to farm gear in, the forums would be very different. You would instead have a herd of people complaining about how easy the game is, going on about how there's nothing to do because Inferno was a joke.

One last thing; the Ladder system was added to Diablo 2 in the LoD expansion. 2 YEARS after the expansion's release.
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-07-03 at 10:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with D3 can be attributed to the same problems we have here in America, we are so used to delivering and producing half assed, half out of the box, products and ideas, and are quick to tell ourselves how wonderful we are based on past performance, even if that performance was 10, 20 or even 50 years ago. Sure nothing has ever been easy or perfect.

But the simple fact of the matter is, Blizzard delivered an inferior product, that wasn't completed, and was nowhere near the quality that so many praise them for. However it is not simply Blizzard i fault, it's the fans who also have become either too fickle and easily fustrated, or they are the others that belive that Blizzard can never do any wrong, and to two groups fight amongst themselves.

D3, was a long time coming, and by the time it was delivered on their time scale, which is pretty much whenever the hell they felt like it, the simple truth is they still can't deliver. But they sure have enough suckers who don't give up hope that will show up to by whatever they put out simply because of their name recognition, but again, it's garbage.

Deleted
    So now its WoW's fault that failed game is bad.
    Waiting for "Is CoD bad, cause WoW is bad" threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddling77 View Post
    I like D3, but admit it needs some major work over the next few months. I think one of the biggest drawbacks, to me, is the weapons and their damage stats. As in a previous post the range of this dmg and the fact that it influences your characters damage so much is a turn off to me. I'd prefer the damage should scale by ilvl and be "static" and the main damage increases came through stats. To have a range from 500dps to 1500 dps then stats on top of it , is just a bit too random to me.. and yes I KNOW diablo is all about randomization. In the case of the damage on the weapons though, and how much it influences character damage, it just is a bit too important and not as fun for me.

This. This is teh main problem with the game. I can have a weapon with 51% critdmg 189 dex plus and 10% attack speed and it will be worthless. All because of a white number that is completely random. I should not be throwing a weapon with those stats on it away. I have had some of teh best itemized weapons drop the last few days, like a perfect 1 hand crossbow with socket and all that had 212 dps.

By the way to ADD fuel to the fire. PVP will be Horrible. They are waiting to release it to get more itelms found and on the RMAH. You will the be gibbed by people who are willing to spend tons of real life money to pwn your face. Imagine the QQ that will start once it is released. This kind of game should never be about balance. If you want pvp on a Diablo type play style play League of Legends. And its free.

EDIT----- I would like to add tat I am currently still enjoying the game. Over 200 hours played. Now imagine my other hobbies and there cost for 200 hours played. Golf 60$-100$ for 4-5 hours. Paintball $25-$50 for 2 hours. Movie with me and my wife $16 dollars plus 20 in popcorn and soda for 2 hours. Sooooo lets not bitch about teh price.
    Last edited by digger66; 2012-07-03 at 11:21 AM.

Nice edit. Even if you do not like the game. (I do like it myself) The argument it is not worth $60 is terrible. $60 doesn't get you much these days.

It seems to me most of the people complaining about D3 on the D3 forums have Diablo or StarCraft avatars, not WoW avatars.

I think the bigger problem is what is expected from a game has changed a lot in the 10 years since D2. Many old school gamers were down for the big grinds and brick walls as something to overcome, but as that population has aged, and newer gamers that are less hardcore come into gaming, they expect gaming to be more an entertainment venue then a second job, they tend to be career professionals and just don't have that amount of time to spend in a game, and also they maybe are playing more then one game as well. There is an argument about if this is good or bad, but I'm not really interested in broaching that topic, but this how the demographic is changing.

D3 doesn't give you a very smooth progression curve, its very steep, and this is pretty different, and potentially off-putting to many modern gamers.