Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    both

you get skillpoints for each level up
    you get skillpoints for skill challenges around the world

some skills are pretty expensive and you'll need a lot of skillpoints to unlock each skill.

Furthermore you can spend skillpoints at mystic vendors for things like upgrading your WvW-siege-weapons etc. To buy an ingredient for a legendary weapon you'll need 100 skillpoints.

Skillpoints can still be gathered through level ups after reaching max.lv... the bar moves on and on... resets at max. without gaining a level but you'll get a skillpoint.
    To expand on this, there are no longer profession-specific challenges, like reading a book for an elementalist or breaking things for a warrior, there are just skill challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    GW2 is all about grinding. Weapons aren't free, gear aren't free, mats aren't free, gold doesn't drop from the sky. That being said GW2 grinding can be fun depending on its disguise.
    That depends entirely on how you play it. If you play it like "oh, today I'm going to get 100 copper ores to sell", then you are grinding materials. If, on the other hand, you play it with the result of "oh, today I got 100 copper ores while I was out doing DEs", then you're not grinding. Apply this thinking to all of your above examples.

As I can't stop requoting myself, I'll once again point out that "grind" is
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    the act of doing something monotonous and/or repetitive for an extended period of time for a reward later on.
    Notice that this works out like an equation. One side, monotonous or repetitive activity. Other side, reward. Remove one of these and it's no longer classified as a grind. Or, in other words, if you're not doing the activity for the exact and sole purpose of getting the reward at the end, it's not a grind. Once again, killing things to get money to buy weapons is a grind - spending money you got from killing things on buying weapons is not a grind.

You can gain or lose favor, otherwise known as reputation, with many of the several different factions in Azeroth by completing certain quests or killing certain creatures (mostly bosses and mobs). Doing so will usually unlock special rewards or new quests to accomplish.

You can also increase your reputation by doing repeatable reputation quests.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Any time you do anything = grinding. Grinding is just repeating the same actions over and over. It's not inherently bad at all. BORING grinding is bad, but if you can make the content interesting, grinding is great. Every game has grinding in it, it just matters how the grind is presented.
    Mhmm, pretty much this.

Deleted
    I don't know how you could implement reputation without a big grind so that probably won't happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    GW2 is all about grinding. Weapons aren't free, gear aren't free, mats aren't free, gold doesn't drop from the sky. That being said GW2 grinding can be fun depending on its disguise.

We dont know much about the 3 factions yet but their could be quests involved to join them. It could be a part of personal story questing. It could be do all their quests then pick which you want to join in the end. And all those are grinds, but if its fun its ok.
    Ugh, I really despise this definition of grind.

I won't call it a grind if what I'm doing has alternate context. As long as the context is different it ceases to be "monotonous" and "repetitive" because you aren't doing the same thing anymore in the grand scheme of things. Yeah, you're still killing things, but within the context of the game why are you killing mobs? When you factor in that you aren't really doing the same "monotonous" thing anymore.

If context has no bearing on whether or not something is a grind, then everything in existence is a grind. Eating food is a grind, running is a grind, playing guitar is a grind, playing mario is a grind, playing sonic is a grind, ect. You can't exclude context from the equation when talking about grind, it just doesn't work.

OT: As for having reputations in the game, sure they could have it, I don't see why not, they did in GW1 and yeah it was a long grinding of mobs to get reputation, but it was optional, as as long as you're not required I don't see why they shouldn't put it in. (Unless they're afraid they might make the OCD completion that don't like grind leave, but that probably isn't likely.)
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-07-05 at 09:43 AM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I don't know how you could implement reputation without a big grind so that probably won't happen.
    If Anet can implement gear without grind why not reputation, if anet can implement a questing system that doesnt feel like a grind then why not reputation, if anet can release a levelling system without a grind why not reputation.
    By the way I dont think they have done any of the above, its still a grind, but according to the majority of posters they have managed to achieve all of this so why not reputation too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grinding doesnt have to be bad. Grinding is mandatory in every RPG on planet earth. There is not a single RPG that allows you to kill ONE bad guy and reach max level. You kill, over and over and over and over again to reach max level. Everyone agrees that there is more than ONE level in GW2, therefore, there is a grind.

What about materials for crafting? You have to Find/Kill/Buy them. So you will, grind them out. Its not mandatory. Mandatory has NOTHING to do with repetitiveness. Grinding is subjective in the first place, but everyone agrees that its a repeatable action. Has nothing to do with being fun or slow or mandatory. Its repetitive. period.

Some of the best grinds in the world are leveling a character to max level in ANY game. Unlocking perks or talents or new abilities. Hell GRINDING is the most addictive form of gameplay there is. Just ask anyone who has lost a job or spouse from playing WoW or EQ.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2012-07-05 at 09:51 PM.