Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

gw2 combat gameplay: am I the only one having problems with it?

I am the only wishing gw2 was more inspired of wow's gameplay and a lot less of korean mmo's gameplay?

Automaticly facing target while using a skill, almost none instant cast abilities even for melee characters, and a lot of skill making you lose control of your character (warriors Savage Leap and thiefs Death Blossom come to mind)
    It has been bothering me for quiet some time now and is really gamebreaking for me. Is it not for anyone else?

I wish ANet would wake up and understand thoses gameplay issues.

edit: TO PEOPLE THAT CAN READ RIGHT: I REFERED TO THE GAMEPLAY ELEMENT OF KOREAN MMOS I KNOW. THE GAME PLAY. NOT.THE.ART.STYLE. THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT THE GAMEPLAY.
    Last edited by braxx; 2012-07-02 at 09:50 PM.

Instant cast abilities don't exist on any profession as far as I know, but I don't really see it as a cast either. I see it more like a timer bar for the attack animation. If that even makes any sense...

What you call issues is what they call their design. It's exactly how they want it to be. If anything gets changed, like an ability that locks you in place to no longer lock you in place, it will most likely be for balance isssues.

The only thing about the combat that bugs me is that melee abilities that lock you in place for the animation, but I'm not ready to dismiss it as an issue yet. I haven't played enough and it may just be something I need to get use to and learn how to use those abilities correctly.

*edit because I missed an important word in front of 'longer'
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-07-02 at 06:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by braxx View Post
    I am the only wishing gw2 was more inspired of wow's gameplay and a lot less of korean mmo's gameplay?
    What Korean MMO plays like GW2? I've played a lot of MMOs, and I don't see specific characteristics that scream "Korean".

Automaticly facing target while using a skill,
    You'll never even notice this if you're playing properly, as in always moving.
    almost none instant cast abilities even for melee characters,
    There are a lot of instant cast abilities. Anyway, it's an action combat system, it takes time to swing a sword.
    and a lot of skill making you lose control of your character (warriors Savage Leap and thiefs Death Blossom come to mind)
    There aren't a lot of them, only a few, and I don't really like them either, but at least they're brief, unlike Tera where everything single ability rooted you for a good 2-3 seconds.
    It has been bothering me for quiet some time now and is really gamebreaking for me. Is it not for anyone else?

Sounds like the game isn't for you honestly.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    What you call issues is what they call their design. It's exactly how they want it to be. If anything gets changed, like an ability that locks you in place to longer lock you in place, it will most likely be for balance isssues.

The only thing about the combat that bugs me is that melee abilities that lock you in place for the animation, but I'm not ready to dismiss it as an issue yet. I haven't played enough and it may just be something I need to get use to and learn how to use those abilities correctly.
    I dont really mind big damage skill or else that locks you in place, balancing its power in doing so, IF there is one or maybe two of thoses in the whole game.

Instant cast abilities have always been something rewarding, especially as a melee character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    There are a lot of instant cast abilities. Anyway, it's an action combat system, it takes time to swing a sword.
    Then it is not an instant cast ability.

As for people who are going to say the game is not for me etc, I say it sure has been advertise for me to play it at least. But that lead the conversation nowhere so I am not saying it.
    Last edited by braxx; 2012-07-02 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo:s

10+ Year Old Account
    Well no... i don't have problem with it... those things are what make the game unique... and not another wow-like mmo...

Also if you know how to use your character you will never lose control of it when you use some of their attacks..., for example: i don't lose control whenever i use the thief... and i use a lot Death Blossom... XD you have those problems only because you and a lot of people, play these game with wow's gameplay in mind...

---------- Post added 2012-07-02 at 12:58 PM ----------

I dont really mind big damage skill or else that locks you in place, balancing its power in doing so, IF there is one or maybe two of thoses in the whole game.

Instant cast abilities have always been something rewarding, especially as a melee character.

Then it is not an instance cast ability.

As for people who are going to say the game is not for me etc, I say it sure has been advertise for me to play it at least. But that lead the conversation nowhere so I am not saying it.
    Oks but it is different cause when your channeling those attacks you can move, and in most of the MMOS you cant move while you are channeling
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2012-07-02 at 06:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then it is not an instance cast ability.
    So you want to press the button and the damage pops up right then? Then what's the point of a dodge function in PvP if players can't dodge your attacks.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    This right there discredited you as an MMO player. That hardly puts you even in general "players" category >_>

Automaticly facing target while using a skill,
    This I agree on, I've been posting a lot about it on beta forums, I hope they'll remove it in structured pvp at least - I don't give 2 fucks about its presence in PVE though :P.

almost none instant cast abilities even for melee characters
    that's for making you to mind the timing of abilities and not spam spells on CDs

a lot of skill making you lose control of your character (warriors Savage Leap and thiefs Death Blossom come to mind)
    you can cancel any channelling ability that roots you in place >_>. As for savage leap.. can you cancel War's charge in WoW :P ? B!tch please...

I hope it's enough "gamebreaking" to you so will not pick up this game. Not sure if I want to meet you in explorer mode dungeon and wipe endlessly because you can't grasp basic combat concepts.

No problems here. It's one of those things that you're either going to like, or you're not. If you're used to a game like WoW, then it's going to be a big change.

A lot of attacks are instance cast, but those tend to be not very hard hitting. A lot of channeled abilites you can move why the effect is being used even as melee. I used duels words in SPvP a lot it's channeled block was life saving as I could move around while using it and most the swords attack for 1 handed were instance attack other then impale. As far as charge...derp you have to charge for it to take affect. For two handed weapon fighting I am happy they have a cast time while still being able to move other then hundred blades which makes sense to me. The damage for great sword and hammer are higher then any other weapon and I do like realistic combat.....you try and swing a 35 pound great sword and move all at the same time very hard to do, I know I have a few real swords lol.

Automaticly facing target while using a skill, almost none instant cast abilities even for melee characters, and a lot of skill making you lose control of your character (warriors Savage Leap and thiefs Death Blossom come to mind)

I actually like the combat gameplay. The combat system in WoW is far less desirable, in my opinion, since playing GW2 BWE.

Hm. Well, I personally don't have any issue with the combat behavior. Though the Guild Wars franchise has always had it's own particular "feel" which can be off putting.

Doubtful Anet will do anything to accommodate you in this regard, OP. Combat mechanics are largely as the developer wishes them to be.

Wonder what you mean by "Korean" style combat. GW2 is intentionally loose, chaotic and sloppy. That's not typically Kr/Tai MMO combat.

I don't see anything "korean" about the combat.

Anyway, if you have played a certain game (wow in your case) for a number of years then changing your style of play can be a bit off putting. It might take a little time to get used to it but I think you'll grow to like it, unless you are totally against a more action and chaotic combat feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Hm. Well, I personally don't have any issue with the combat behavior. Though the Guild Wars franchise has always had it's own particular "feel" which can be off putting.
    I can't believe I didn't even put this together til now...Some GW2 abilities lock you in place, but I had forgotten that almost all GW1 abilities lock you in place, and with the way targeting works...There's more similarities between GW1 and 2 combat than I realized.

Well some abilities do have an animation lock but almost all of those are pretty quick. The channeled abilities that cancel when you move are the most powerful abilities in the game for the most part, so there is the opportunity cost of using those.

Honestly the whole automatically facing an opponent when you use an ability would be stupid, what would be the point of having the dodge mechanic then if they did that every time I try to dodge an attack the person just presses another button and faces me and I take damage. I mean really you only get like 2 dodge before you have to wait for the stamina bar to fill up again.

Seeing a few of these threads pop up lately that complain about the combat system. Given, it's a WoW forum so it's no wonder that this complaint is coming up often about the combat not being similar to WoW's.

I hate to put it bluntly, but WoW's combat system is how it is so it can appeal to a wide variety of people- it's easy. All mobs behave the exact same, predictable way because if there was too much variation (or difficulty) then the more casual players would be turned off from the game very quickly.

GW2 is not meant to accommodate the super-casual. Whiles it's not HARD in any particular aspect, it requires you to be alert and active- something that WoW almost never stimulates... as even boss mechanics are predictable to an extent.

Learning the difference between the two combat mentalities is probably the biggest and best difference between the two games.

Glad to see I'm not the only one confused about the "Korean gameplay" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one confused about the "Korean gameplay" comment.
    Other than perhaps some of the human faces and hairstyles, I see nothing Korean about the game.. at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    you can cancel any channelling ability that roots you in place >_>. As for savage leap.. can you cancel War's charge in WoW :P ? B!tch please...

I hope it's enough "gamebreaking" to you so will not pick up this game. Not sure if I want to meet you in explorer mode dungeon and wipe endlessly because you can't grasp basic combat concepts.
    you don't cancel charge in wow because there is no cast time >.<

and bitch please, i have been in a top pve guild for ages and did a lot top 100 to 150 on various tiers and i can tell you I did not robbed thoses. So yeah, nothing to prove to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're over-generalizing "Korean" MMOs....
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.