Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First ranked game.

So i've been level 30 for 6 months now and I thinking about finally stepping into my first ranked game. I know all about the trolls and low elo hell and I was wondering if theres any tips you guys can give me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive never done ranked games, but ive heard that you should have at least 1 champ of each role with a good rune page for the role, so you are prepared to play anything, in case you are late pick.

But like i said, never done them, so maybe im wrong.

I have roughly 80 champs or so.

Masteries for AD/AP/Support/Jungle/Tank with variations with some more defensive and others more offensive etc

As for rune pages. I have a Armor penetration set with ArP quintessances, Flat attack damage with movement quintessances which i use for jungling and AP which have AP marks and quintessance. All the marks and seals are flat armor/magic resist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Play to get better. ELO will come, and you won't stress yourself out too much thinking about ELO. Stay positive, calling a teammate a "Useless faggot" or "stupid feeder" won't help you win. Examine the mistakes you make, not what others do. Honestly, just treat it like Normals. Also you'll need to play a ton of games, so don't cry about being in ELO hell and such after only like 10-15 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Play to get better. ELO will come, and you won't stress yourself out too much thinking about ELO. Stay positive, calling a teammate a "Useless faggot" or "stupid feeder" won't help you win. Examine the mistakes you make, not what others do. Honestly, just treat it like Normals. Also you'll need to play a ton of games, so don't cry about being in ELO hell and such after only like 10-15 games.
    Im aware ELO will come slowly especially since im going to be solo queing. I have never insulted other players I always find myself defending those that make mistakes because in the end of the day it's just a game. Im hoping to get into a different environment and maybe start actually doing ranked and taking it seriously. Hopefully i'll find a group I can play and learn with.

Hey,

You seem quite prepared for ranked games, a lot more than 99% of the people who get to level 30 and instantly play ranked. However, you do seem to be quite anxious in regards to playing ranked. Don't be so afraid of rankeds. It's just another normal game, and you'll get the same retards/nice people you get in normals. Just try to main a role and always ask for that role (one that you enjoy and you're good at). Don't be sad if you start dropping down in elo - if you're good and you belong in higher elo, you'll eventually get there.

My example: I got to level 30 and immediately started playing ranked. Won 3 in a row (got lucky with team mates) and got to ~1300 elo. However, I was so bad that I eventually dropped down to 700 (!) elo. I started playing normals, got to around ~470 normal games won and then went rankeds always trying to jungle (my main role). I eventually carried most games, always had a good performance (as I said, if your skill is superior, in lower elo you always carry games) and rose around to ~1300 elo again. And I keep rising, I just started this road to high elo.

BTW: You seem like a nice guy. NA or EU?

NA.

My role is very versatile I play alot of normal games just to get experience with each role.

Personally I feel strongest as solo top Jarvan, Jungle Naut/Shyv/Lee (Now trying out Mundo) or Support as Alistar in bot, Support Alistar is too much fun for feeding your AD carry with kills.

10+ Year Old Account
    I started ranked a bit after I turned 30, maybe around 5 days after. I had full runepages for AD and AP and certain Jungle champs. Basically what you will find is that people instantly call out, "MID", "JUNGLE", etc. with the exception of support. Nobody wants to play support because usually it means doing the shitty work for the team plus you can't necessarily change the team based off of kills because supports don't get kills and even when fed are still not carries.

Granted support has its role and that's to support the team in a teamfight, whether it be keeping your tanks or carries alive. But the problem is since you have no grasp on your team to carry it you're as good as fucked if parts of your team fucks up. To be honest a support can fuck up in the early game and it can still be fine as long as your carry doesn't. Just view it like this, the support is the equivalent to the healer in WoW with differences.

EDIT: Jungling is something you want to know because that actually can make or break a game. Learn Nocturne, fantastic jungler because he can stay out of wards and use his ultimate at level 6. Jungling actually has a great potential to change a game if the other team is overpushing a lane.
    Last edited by Duronos; 2012-07-03 at 03:23 AM.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

Only play ranked games when you're duoing with someone reliable that doesn't suck.

And "just play until you win as if it was normals" is horrible horrible advice and the reason that ranked games are such shitholes at low elo

DO NOT TREAT THEM LIKE NORMAL GAMES WHERE YOU DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS.

If you belong in high elo then you will be able to tear through the first 10 games where you're unranked with a very high win ratio and end up around 1600 where you are more or less out of the retard zone.

Be prepared to buy all the wards your team will need. Be calm, last hit and harass the enemy when they go to last hit your minions, if you can zone them push the lane when you know where their jungler is so you're not caught over extended. If someone leaves lane to go gank another lane push that lane while they're gone, keep pressure up. Make them pay for leaving their lane. If you can get your creeps to their tower they'll lose xp/gold and try not to B unless your lane is pushed, but only try to push the lane if either they're gone, you've eaten a large portion of their HP from harass and/or you know where their jungler is so you don't get caught over extended. Oh, and of course when you're harrassing try not to do aggro too many of their minions in the early levels. Early level minion dmg OP.
    Last edited by nbm02ss; 2012-07-03 at 04:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    No.

Only play ranked games when you're duoing with someone reliable that doesn't suck.

And "just play until you win as if it was normals" is horrible horrible advice and the reason that ranked games are such shitholes at low elo

DO NOT TREAT THEM LIKE NORMAL GAMES WHERE YOU DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS.

If you belong in high elo then you will be able to tear through the first 10 games where you're unranked with a very high win ratio and end up around 1600 where you are more or less out of the retard zone.
    Yes.

Only play when duo-queing? Since you always have a partner, right? That's stupid as shit. You don't NEED someone to play with. Limiting and forcing yourself to rely on someone else is ridiculous. Play when you want by your own standards.

What, you play Normal Games to feed and be useless? Explains a lot. Most people tend to play games to win and do well, both normal and ranked. EVERYONE OBVIOUSLY PLAYS NORMAL GAMES WHERE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS, ESPECIALLY ON A FORUM WHERE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WERE ACTUALLY MORE INVESTED IN LOL WOULD POSTING.
    Last edited by Kurdiern; 2012-07-03 at 09:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've played my 1st ranked game recently as well, and it went good, I got a good, normal team and we won. Then I played my 2nd ranked game and got a troll who picked Sion and went to duo lane with me on top. I was really mad but we still managed to carry Sion, and win.

And then the 3rd, and worst one of all came. We got a Jax support that was stacking on cloth armors, and didn't know what the hell the goal of the game is. He was feeding like a baws so we ended up loosing that game horribly. I guess what I'm saying is it's really RNG what kind of people you get. You can get normal people, and play a good game, or you can get a bunch of feeders that dinged 30 2 hours ago and are all worked up about ranked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

Only play when duo-queing? Since you always have a partner, right? That's stupid as shit. You don't NEED someone to play with. Limiting and forcing yourself to rely on someone else is ridiculous. Play when you want by your own standards.

What, you play Normal Games to feed and be useless? Explains a lot. Most people tend to play games to win and do well, both normal and ranked. EVERYONE OBVIOUSLY PLAYS NORMAL GAMES WHERE THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS, ESPECIALLY ON A FORUM WHERE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WERE ACTUALLY MORE INVESTED IN LOL WOULD POSTING.
    You should be doing everything you can do win in ranked games, including finding a good strong partner that you can work well with.

Not doing so hurts everyone, not just yourself. Don't be so selfish.

Why wouldn't you try to do your best in normal games, though?

It's all about learning and training. Getting it in your head and in your fingers. Eventually, you will be so familiar with your champions and how the game works, that you'll begin to rise up through the ranks.

It's just like other PvP games or PvP-parts of them... Play a lot, get used to it, win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    Why wouldn't you try to do your best in normal games, though?

It's all about learning and training. Getting it in your head and in your fingers. Eventually, you will be so familiar with your champions and how the game works, that you'll begin to rise up through the ranks.

It's just like other PvP games or PvP-parts of them... Play a lot, get used to it, win.
    Well yeah, I didn't mean go ahead and feed in normal games but I meant more like, don't be super hardcore and if you think it would be fun to go all be-a-hero mode and dive into a 1v2 with high chance of killing 1 guy but not actually getting out alive because it would be hilarious on skype, go for it.

@Methanar, to your first comment, saying you`ll ripe through all your first 10 games if you belong in high elo, well thats just plain wrong, at the start of season 2 regi did not have anyone to duo with and kept getting unlucky and was at low elo for weeks. And he is one of the worlds top players, so dont expect high elo fast.

Second, sure you should do everything to win, but dont limit yourself to just duo queueing thats idiotic, you dont get better at one role by playing it while a certain person supports you, just doing solo will allow you to get better at mechanics faster then if say you play top lane and have a friend jungler who camps your lane allowing you to win without even learning to cs right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    @Methanar, to your first comment, saying you`ll ripe through all your first 10 games if you belong in high elo, well thats just plain wrong, at the start of season 2 regi did not have anyone to duo with and kept getting unlucky and was at low elo for weeks. And he is one of the worlds top players, so dont expect high elo fast.

Second, sure you should do everything to win, but dont limit yourself to just duo queueing thats idiotic, you dont get better at one role by playing it while a certain person supports you, just doing solo will allow you to get better at mechanics faster then if say you play top lane and have a friend jungler who camps your lane allowing you to win without even learning to cs right.
    Trust me, you can't be carried versus a competent team that is coordinated. At the absolute least they will realize who is being carried and focus in on him to try and exploit the weakest player.

I'm assuming that you yourself as a player is a infact good at the game and not bad but you don't want to deal with shit that is beyond your control that keeps you in low elo, a perfect example that you gave yourself is regi, he was held back by a bad team.

In that case it usually means duo queue so you are guaranteed to have a good jungler or a duo queue bot lane that can dominate any random group of people bottom.

It just means one less variable that can totally screw you over and ruin your experience and most importantly, win ratio and to a lesser degree your kda.

If the enemy fizz is 20/4 because he capitalized on a shitty mid all game then that IS going to damage your kda no matter what, because he is just too disruptive and there is really no way to deal with it other than qss the fish and wait for him to hopefully use his E offensively (he won't in an unsafe scenario)

Deleted
    You don't duoqueue to play 2 roles, you duoqueue so that you have at least 1 mentally sane person with you. When I duoqueue I generally wait for others to pick their roles and then fill in. Or in draft/ranked say that I'll fill in.

Deleted
    Still waiting to reach level 30 -.- I am 28 atm it has been almost a year since i started playing 1h matches -.- I have a vast set of champion for all the roles, I really love to jungle or mid, support is cool but i kind of suck at the early and mid game till I get good and end the game with 30+ assists XD

Have almost a full set on my AD and AP runes next will get my support runes with gold peer sec and mana regen and after that going to buy the arp and mgp runes for the other champions that dont use flat AP or AD, I already have armor and magic resist runes XD

see you in ranked in 2 weeks i hope.

Noc is a great jungler on of my favorites his ulti is awesome and he has a fear.
    HEC is my second choice but I have been playing him almost every game now because we don't have a tank and with his W ability I can tank real good.
    Shyvana is my 3rd pick if the other 2 are chosen or banned, her ultimate lets me tank and solo towers, great for ganks and has the higher damage of the other 2 she is also great for push lanes and ninje towers with her W ability.
    I love to Mid with Karthus or Morgana

For bot i pick Ryze, Miss Fortune or Ashe

For Support I pick Janna, Alistar or Lulu. ( I hate soraka but depending on what we have I may choose her)

Solo top i pick Yorick.
    If I know the enemy team has a jungler and we have a tank already i will choose Darius.
    Last edited by mmocce676f6b0f; 2012-07-03 at 12:35 PM.

I just got level 30 a week ago, and i went into ranked right away. I have played Dota/Hon before on competitive level (only started with LoL because all my friends played it) and i did well from the start. I did not have all the runes and stuff as i needed, but i still got 11-2 in my first ranked game as a carry. I have played like 20 ranked now and i am on 18 wins 2 lost (Needless to say i play with RL mates, so that may make it a lot easier since we got skype cordination and stuff)