Clarification on crafting?

Hi guys, I' was reading the GW insider about jewelling and they had phrase:

"As many are aware there are eight crafting disciplines for players to choose from, but you can only have two active at any given time. However, you automatically have all three gathering disciplines (assuming you have the equipment on you) so getting the materials is a snap."

Something I wanted to ask and have always been confused about - since you can always have only two active at any given time - then if I would switch one of them - do I loose all that I have studied in the one I changed, if I would take it back. Sorry, I didn't really do much crafting last bwe.

to make it clear if I have leather working at 100 and clothing at 100 - if I swap one of them for jewelling(say leather working) - but decide I want to do leather working still - the 100 points I have in it - will they be gone?
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

No, you don't lose progress in the dropped profession. You pay a fee (in game gold) to switch out professions, and your progress in the "dropped" progression is saved, so you can pick up where you left off by switching back (note, this incurs another in game gold fee to switch back).

Quote Originally Posted by jtgizmo View Post

to make it clear if I have leather working at 100 and clothing at 100 - if I swap one of them for jewelling(say leather working) - but decide I want to do leather working still - the 100 points I have in it - will they be gone?
    you don't lose what you have already discovered/learnt.

what I want to know is how the discover recipes work. I know trainers can teach you stuff and you can find recipe drops from mobs. But I also hear you can experriment with mats to discover recipes.

ok thanks - thats awesome! that means you can max everything....lol quality. Again thanks.

I played very little around with recepies on BWE1 - and its matter of mixing, but it could be made bit more clearer, but again I didn't get much into it.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

I played very little around with recepies on BWE1 - and its matter of mixing
    sounds like you could possibly go through a lot of mats and not discover anything. I wouldn't want to experriment with rare mats.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    sounds like you could possibly go through a lot of mats and not discover anything. I wouldn't want to experriment with rare mats.
    When mixing to discover new recipes, if the combination of reagents you put in the window doesn't make something new, you can't complete the process and no reagents are used. You only use up reagents mixing something when you actually discover something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shufflepants View Post
    When mixing to discover new recipes, if the combination of reagents you put in the window doesn't make something new, you can't complete the process and no reagents are used. You only use up reagents mixing something when you actually discover something.
    yes but the moment the create button becames active - it will create something - you just don't know what. Maybe thats the whole point - you experiment and trial and error. Eventually guides will emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    you don't lose what you have already discovered/learnt.

what I want to know is how the discover recipes work. I know trainers can teach you stuff and you can find recipe drops from mobs. But I also hear you can experriment with mats to discover recipes.
    Basically you go the experiment tab on your interface and it will have all your crafting ingredients listed there. You drag those into the experiment boxes 1 at a time and it will tell you how many potential recipes use that item or combination of items. Typically that number will go down as you add items into the box. When you put a combination of items in that would create something new, it tells you and lets you create it to learn the recipe. It's pretty simple, there's just a lot of crafting components to dig up, that's the hard part.

yes but the moment the create button becames active - it will create something - you just don't know what. Maybe thats the whole point - you experiment and trial and error. Eventually guides will emerge.
    There's not really any trial and error. The game won't let you combine items that aren't an actual recipe so you don't have to worry about losing all your mats trying to create something that doesn't exist.

I'll be brutally honest here. To me, the system is kind of a joke. It's a placebo to make people think they are actually discovering things instead of just being given the recipes from a trainer but it walks you right to the proper combinations and won't let you fail. It would have been better if it was like Skyrim's alchemy system which is truly trial and error assuming you don't cheat and use a guide.

Hi guys, I' was reading the GW insider about jewelling and they had phrase:

"As many are aware there are eight crafting disciplines for players to choose from, but you can only have two active at any given time. However, you automatically have all three gathering disciplines (assuming you have the equipment on you) so getting the materials is a snap."

Something I wanted to ask and have always been confused about - since you can always have only two active at any given time - then if I would switch one of them - do I loose all that I have studied in the one I changed, if I would take it back. Sorry, I didn't really do much crafting last bwe.

click the second link in my sig, and happy reading

10+ Year Old Account
    you only have to pay gold to learn a craftign skill that you have progress in

so i was LW and WS, and i dropepd weapon smith at level 100. that's free

i then pick up jeweler, which i have no progress in. thats free

i decide to drop jewler. thats free

i pick WS back up. that's going to cost me 1 gold (1 silver per level iirc)
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    you only have to pay gold to learn a craftign skill that you have progress in

so i was LW and WS, and i dropepd weapon smith at level 100. that's free

i then pick up jeweler, which i have no progress in. thats free

i decide to drop jewler. thats free

i pick WS back up. that's going to cost me 1 gold (1 silver per level iirc)

as far as i recall it didnt cost me 25s to get back to tailoring that was on level 25, it was more like 5s more or less

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    as far as i recall it didnt cost me 25s to get back to tailoring that was on level 25, it was more like 5s more or less
    my decimals might be off soemwhere
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

Deleted
    Atleast at fairly low levels, the crafting system is very simple. This is speaking for Leatherworking, Weaponsmith and Armor Smith.

You have your "base" recepies, these you learn from trainers. Say, to make a greatsword you need a large hilt and a long sword blade.

If you use just those two, you will indeed get an item, but without stats on it.

If you then experiment you can add the same hilt and blade, but then also add another "stat inducing" item (can't remember what they are called), and it will make a greatsword with those stats on it.

The hilt and the blade always make a greatsword, the stat item always give the same stat. So experimenting is really a matter of combining stat items with standard recepies.