Thread: Wimbledon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    So is Wimbledon bigger than the other Grand slams elsewhere, or is it just us Brits bigging up our own tournament?

Also, Go Go Andy, this time you can be British for a year instead of a couple of weeks.

This one is going down to the line, but Andy can definitely do it if he keeps up like this.

So is Wimbledon bigger than the other Grand slams elsewhere, or is it just us Brits bigging up our own tournament?
    Wimbledon is to tennis what the Monaco grand prix is to F1 drivers and the Tour de France to cyclists.

Im not sure if its bigger, but it gets a lot of coverage and respect world wide tbh. You can see players love winning Wimbledon too.

Deleted
    Never seen a tennis match from start to end, simply to boring.

Murray is just running for every shot, even if it seems there is no point he is refusing to give up, great game tbh, lets see if Federer has the legs, he definitely has the class. Although I have to say that I dont think Ive seen Federer make so many unforced errors before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wimbledon is the only grass Grand Slam and just has a great history and sense of prestige about it.

Ideally you want to win them all, but the one to win the most is Wimbledon.

If this goes to five games, Federer will be knackered, Murray's conditioning is amazing.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I agree.. the Australian and the US Open (it actually used to be played on grass in Forest Hills, NY, not the current location in Flushing) just doesn't get as much love as Wimbledon & Rolland Garros.. but I would put Wimbledon above the French

good match so far.. hopefully they can keep it going

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 11:10 AM ----------

i think a rain delay would favor Federer

10+ Year Old Account
    The rain break will let Federer get his breath back, but it also lets Murray refocus.

why dont they use the roof?

Much quicker to get the cover out, they can then get the roof shut without worrying about water landing on the court.

Deleted
    I can't stand watching tennis, purely because it's so tense and I get too on edge I just keep switching back and forth between the final and some other channel...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xelk View Post
    The Championships, Wimbledon, or simply Wimbledon, is the oldest tennis tournament in the world, and considered by many to be the biggest and the most prestigious. It has been held at the All England Club in Wimbledon, London since 1877

Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cha...ips,_Wimbledon

It is steeped in tradition, such as players wearing white, and there's no advertising around the court
    Last edited by mmoc1501ffb0eb; 2012-07-08 at 03:36 PM.

When Federer plays a forehand like he did to take a point on Murrays serve you really cant doubt that he probably is the best tennis player ever so far, some of his shots are unworldly almost.

---------- Post added 2012-07-08 at 06:18 PM ----------

Longest game ever? Some brilliant shots coming out here, I think Murray has to take this game.

And then instantly loses it, well, lets see how that looks for the set.
    Last edited by Xanjori; 2012-07-08 at 04:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Murray's got to go back on the heavy offensive, when he was making Federer work for each point he was dominating the game. Now Federer is just making him run all over the court.

wow.. Roger is moving around like a teenager

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    wow.. Roger is moving around like a teenager
    And Murray looks like he's in pain. Not a good sign for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    And Murray looks like he's in pain. Not a good sign for him.
    Yeah, Federer is like a lion, if he senses weakness, he goes in for the kill and you are going down.
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-08 at 04:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Murray is definately the better physical specimen, but Federer knows so many shots, so many little tricks and can read the game far better.

If he's in his later years he's certainly managed to retain amazing form.

I think this is over, Fed is too far on top now, gonna take this 3 sets to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Murray is definately the better physical specimen, but Federer knows so many shots, so many little tricks and can read the game far better.

If he's in his later years he's certainly managed to retain amazing form.

While he's not 'old' (31 in August) that's ancient in Tennis (and most other sports) years. He's just such a beautiful shotmaker - so much versatility. Sadly, I don't think this is Andy's year - unless he really turns it around in the next two games!