Strange lockups...

Posting this because it's happened twice now in the past 3 days:

Computer will just randomly completely freeze/lock up. Like, literally out of nowhere. I'll just be minding my own business, browsing the web or browsing files, when everything will just come to a halt and stop working.

I thought it might be an issue with my GPU bugging out or something, but nope, I tried connecting to the "frozen" computer via my iPhone with remote desktop, and it can't connect, so apparently the entire system is locking up and becoming 100% unresponsive.

Any idea what might be causing this? It just started happening out of the blue. Haven't installed anything new to my knowledge, besides maybe a Flash or Java update.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

No idea what pc specs you have or even operating system, these are all possible factors, aswell as a corrupted harddrive.

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

3 gHZ Intel Core2 Quad
    8GB DDR2 RAM
    1GB GTX 460
    OCZ Vertex2 120gb SSD
    Also have a 600GB Western Digital HDD connected that I use for storage.

I do hope it's not a corrupted hard drive, replacing my SSD the first time it fried was annoying as hell.

Oh, and if it means anything, when it crashed half an hour ago (the 2nd time overall), I was browsing the web, and all of a sudden, pages just stopped loading (as if my internet crashed) and then it froze ~10 seconds later. I'd go to open a new site in a new tab, and it just wouldn't do anything. No loading swirly-thing, just a blank white page.
    Last edited by Vook; 2012-07-05 at 01:43 PM.
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    How long have you had the computer?

How hot is your CPU running(might need realtemp for this)

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    How long have you had the computer?
    Since...Summer 2009, I think? I got it in the middle of Ulduar. But since then, I've upgraded the CPU (was originally 2.4 gHZ) and the GPU (was originally a 512mb nVidia gt120 or something)

Quote Originally Posted by hapylol View Post
    How hot is your CPU running(might need realtemp for this)
    Normal temperatures; I was just running Google Chrome and no other programs, when it froze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there any audio with these crashes? screeching in speakers etc?
    I'd test individual ram sticks.

Has the lock-up occurred with sounds running at all? If so, do the sounds loop and repeat rapidly?

Deleted
    time for a new pc

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    Has the lock-up occurred with sounds running at all? If so, do the sounds loop and repeat rapidly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Misen View Post
    Is there any audio with these crashes? screeching in speakers etc?
    I'd test individual ram sticks.
    Wasn't playing any audio during the freezes. That's all that's happening; it's not "crashing", it's just completely freezing.

Quote Originally Posted by prettyfly View Post
    time for a new pc
    ...So if any problems occur, the solution is "buy a new computer" ? ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by Vook View Post
    Wasn't playing any audio during the freezes. That's all that's happening; it's not "crashing", it's just completely freezing.

...So if any problems occur, the solution is "buy a new computer" ? ಠ_ಠ
    As Misen said, I'd recommend testing the RAM first, after that I'd check for any hard drive issues.

3 of my WoW guildies have had the same issues with SSD drives, no particular reason from what we could tell, they just tend to develop issues quite easily.

Start from www.memtest.org to check out RAM, run scandisc & S.M.A.R.T. monitor on all HDDs and have temperature monitoring software running. If something's physically broken and overheating, that can happen even on empty desktop.

Most likely problem is the RAM or the SSD.

edit:

I got the exact same symptoms from first gen P67 motherboard that had the SATA2 port bug. SMART monitor listed millions of CRC errors on all discs even though the HDDs were intact. So one potential cause can also be the motherboard or SATA cables, especially if you see lots of errors on S.M.A.R.T.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-07-05 at 04:18 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

This kind of thing happens when hdd( harddrives) are on the way out
    Time to back up & replace -asap

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Start from www.memtest.org to check out RAM, run scandisc & S.M.A.R.T. monitor on all HDDs and have temperature monitoring software running. If something's physically broken and overheating, that can happen even on empty desktop.

Most likely problem is the RAM or the SSD.
    How do I even use Memtest? I can't find an exe anywhere, it's all either source code, ISO or BIN file downloads...

I honestly don't think it's overheat problems, as I run D3 all the time and that gets my temps up high, nothing ever happens, yet on both "freezes", I've only been running Chrome and maybe an open folder or two.

Quote Originally Posted by skyclops View Post
    This kind of thing happens when hdd( harddrives) are on the way out
    Time to back up & replace -asap
    So my SSD is "on the way out" after having it only 4 months?

How do I even use Memtest? I can't find an exe anywhere, it's all either source code, ISO or BIN file downloads...
    You're meant to burn the ISO image to CD and boot computer with it. Can also install it to USB stick with right tools and boot from there.

So my SSD is "on the way out" after having it only 4 months?
    Consumer electronics break either during first ~five months or after several years. 4 months is pretty long time, but it can still be original manufacturing defects.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

You're meant to burn the ISO image to CD and boot computer with it. Can also install it to USB stick with right tools and boot from there.
    Well, I remember a while ago, I used a memory testing program that just ran as an exe file.

Consumer electronics break either during first ~five months or after several years. 4 months is pretty long time, but it can still be original manufacturing defects.
    Well, jeez. I would have never gotten an SSD if I had known they were this volatile. =/

My first SSD fried itself after a month, but this one's been working fine since the middle of March, haven't had any freezes like this until now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, I remember a while ago, I used a memory testing program that just ran as an exe file.
    Not a good one. Any RAM tester worth anything will run in its own environment (ie. load from CD or USB). As soon as the OS is loaded into memory, testing every inch of memory becomes extremely difficult.

Well, jeez. I would have never gotten an SSD if I had known they were this volatile. =/

My first SSD fried itself after a month, but this one's been working fine since the middle of March, haven't had any freezes like this until now.
    vesseblah was talking about electronics and computer components in general, not just SSDs.