Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aranoch View Post
    A game like PoE that has great content, but shoddy graphics (matter of taste, i know) and terrible gameplay (this is a fact imo, it's not worth defending, the AI and gameplay stinks) can (read will) not have the same longevity as D3 for that simple reason. You can improve content over time, you can't improve gameplay to any great extent.
    There is nothing wrong with the game play of PoE beyond desync issues, issues D3 have as well, the AI does exactly what it's supposed to, the graphics is subjective as far as style goes, the actual quality of it is as good as any other game in the genre.

By the way... How the hell can people expect Blizzard to deliver top notch full contentright away.
    Because their competitors can...

Games like PoE come and go, D3 will be a gem for years, I'm sure of it.
    I'm sure both will be around for years, they are designed for very polar audiences, PoE more for the oldschool ARPG hardcore player and D3 more for the younger insta gratification MMO minded player.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Because their competitors can...
    Like who? I mean except PoE which simply open beta tests everything?
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    Doesn't mean it's a less of a game. personally I'd say PoE is by far the better game when it comes to economy, itemization and crafting system and how all of those interact with each other to create depth. And that's not touching on talents, skills and the available customization and depth that brings as it's subjective to some degree when you bring in target group.

All in all though I'd say PoE at it's open beta launch was more of a complete game than D3 is currently, it has end game activities, it has a functioning economy with little to no inflation and it's getting weekly additions and fixes. And how about TL2, not heard that it's lacking as far as game design goes with broken itemization for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Still Blizz didn't even make an effort ... D3 for all intents and purposes was a RMAH social experiment starved of any fresh ideas in the game itself. That's not what a D2 sequel should be. But w/e. At launch the game was worth the money which is more than what you can say about some other.
    I wonder if the over reliance on the AH in D3 is the reason PoE isnt going to have one? I mean if I was designing a new ARPG and saw how badly D3 was ruined by the AH and how you never get drops from the game and your only gear comes from the AH I wouldnt put anything resembling one close to my game.

Diablo 3 is still in open beta.

For me it was:

Short, the playthru was so short.
    Boring, I did play the other 2 Diablo games and they felt more fun to me.
    Unrewarding, the chances of getting loot that felt rewarding was so slight as to make it feel pointless. (no I didn't want to buy it)

There you have it, the reasons why I won't be getting the xpac for it.
    Last edited by Mmoplayer111; 2013-04-29 at 02:19 AM.

Those flaming the RMAH are choosing to repeatedly ignore the fact that players made it a necessity in the first place.
    The RMAH was introduced as a legitimate alternative to dodgy 3rd party sources for gear/currencies, a market that only existed due to players choosing very deliberately to buy their way through the game.
    The community complaining about a problem THEY made.

If you don't like the solution, then do something about the problem.
    That problem is "players" who have no intention of actually well, playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishyface View Post
    So now that blizzard has openly admitted its lacking endgame ive got to ask the question. What are people expecting out of diablo 3? I just dont get what some people were expecting from this game. I honestly dont get what even blizzard was expecting at this point.

Were you expecting an mmo?

Were you expecting a game you could play for 12 hours a day for 6 years straight?

I expected D3 to be like any other game, you play it for a while and beat it, it isnt an mmo with eternal gameplay. Sure you can fire it up once in a while and go through a couple of the difficulties (which is its replay value to me), but in my mind D3 shouldnt sustain your gaming habits eternally.

I feel like the gear grind is like maxing out your chars in any final fantasy game. Its fun but its for people who just want something else to do to make their gameplay last a little longer, and it should have an ending point.

Im really sorry for all the poeple who expected that D3 would last longer than it did for them. But really i just dont get why people are so angry about what is essentially a single player game
    I personally was expecting what I expect out of every other $60 video game (going by what the gaming industry has consistenly produced over the last 10 years), a game that would last 15-30 hours in singleplayer, not a game I finish in 3.5 hours then just repeat the same exact thing.

I don't even care about RMAH or any of the other reasons people have mentioned. It's just the fact it wasn't ~$20/hour worth of entertainment.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Here's an analogy for ya.

When one takes the World of Warcraft Nerd out of the water and puts it onto the Diablo III land, the WoW nerd will crawl back into the ocean.

At least that is what happened to me...
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Those flaming the RMAH are choosing to repeatedly ignore the fact that players made it a necessity in the first place.
    The RMAH was introduced as a legitimate alternative to dodgy 3rd party sources for gear/currencies, a market that only existed due to players choosing very deliberately to buy their way through the game.
    The community complaining about a problem THEY made.

If you don't like the solution, then do something about the problem.
    That problem is "players" who have no intention of actually well, playing.
    Yeah and how did that work out for them, if you don't know the answer you might want to backtrack and watch the video regarding the sale of an item for sever thousand euros, on the same 3rd party site RMAH was supposed to "fix".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    I personally was expecting what I expect out of every other $60 video game (going by what the gaming industry has consistenly produced over the last 10 years), a game that would last 15-30 hours in singleplayer, not a game I finish in 3.5 hours then just repeat the same exact thing.

I don't even care about RMAH or any of the other reasons people have mentioned. It's just the fact it wasn't ~$20/hour worth of entertainment.
    That's kind of your own fault though isn't it?

Diablo games have ALWAYS been relatively short per playthrough. They're dungeon crawlers. Generally that means the actual dungeon is just a repetitive grindfest with random chances at loot and predictable character growth. That's why we play the games, yeah? I would have assumed we all knew what we were getting into when we bought one. Torchlight is a similar design and people aren't exploding in hatred over that title.

I was more than satisfied with the title. I got my 80+ hours out of it (Not to mention it being free to begin with ). Not entirely sure why so many people (The gentleman I posted excluded) make it seem like Blizzard was fufilling some sort of hateful vendetta on the community.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

one of the things that hurt the game is the lack of the watcher program at the start which caused huge gold saturation in the game, due to exploits, loopholes, hacking, duping, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    By the way... How the hell can people expect Blizzard to deliver top notch full contentright away. Isn't this why we love them? The hold back the sweets, extending the longevity of their games. D2 normal was a pretty shoddy game too, few people played it to it's glory before LoD. The expansion made the game, end of.
    This is the kind of thinking that allows bullshit like paid DLC's and terrible launches to continue to exist. Oh, it's ok, they can release a terrible game, they can fix it later. You know, instead of releasing a game with a lot less flaws and bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    This is the kind of thinking that allows bullshit like paid DLC's and terrible launches to continue to exist. Oh, it's ok, they can release a terrible game, they can fix it later. You know, instead of releasing a game with a lot less flaws and bugs.
    Glad you said it. My response would have been much longer and mean.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

My only big complaint was that a majority of the game's world didn't get randomized a whole lot.

Complaints about loot are valid. And i'll agree that we were (to begin with, that is) missing the crazy-random-"I CAN HAS WEREWOLF?" items. these've started to trickle in with the updated legendary patch.

I think that going with the "Primary Stat" was a mistake.

To say it's a failure is unfair. I think it's merely inferior to the spirit of the game. It's a failure in the sense that they tried to change things up and didn't produce a product that magically managed to satisfy everyone's every need and want.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly32 View Post
    I wonder if the over reliance on the AH in D3 is the reason PoE isnt going to have one? I mean if I was designing a new ARPG and saw how badly D3 was ruined by the AH and how you never get drops from the game and your only gear comes from the AH I wouldnt put anything resembling one close to my game.
    Honestly I have no idea what was the purpose of AH in D3 ... there were some D2 players who to get the best gear traded with other players and then Blizz made a logical rocket jump that everyone will be happier if they bought their gear on ah instead of having it drop in the game. Personally I don't like it.

A game like PoE that has great content, but shoddy graphics (matter of taste, i know) and terrible gameplay (this is a fact imo, it's not worth defending, the AI and gameplay stinks) can (read will) not have the same longevity as D3 for that simple reason. You can improve content over time, you can't improve gameplay to any great extent.
    Except most ppl including Blizzard were done with D3 few months after release. GGG is actively pushing PoE further month after month developing gear, skills, game modes. Compared to that D3 seems to run maintenance mode doing bug fixes once in a while and that's it. Sure maybe Blizz will make a game changin expansion, but who know what other games will be available in 6 years when it will finally maybe come ...

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Diablo 3 is still in open beta.
    By that fabulous logic, D2 was in open beta until at least patch 1.09. And SC was in open beta until BW 1.05 or something in that tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Doesn't mean it's a less of a game. personally I'd say PoE is by far the better game when it comes to economy, itemization and crafting system and how all of those interact with each other to create depth. And that's not touching on talents, skills and the available customization and depth that brings as it's subjective to some degree when you bring in target group.
    Of course it does. People will play the open beta through and through, and then there is no discovery left for live.
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Of course it does. People will play the open beta through and through, and then there is no discovery left for live.
    You do realize that the 'open beta' is the same as a soft release right? There will be no more character wipes, in effect the game is as released as D3. They also have up to 10 acts planned for the future, on top of the diverse end game they already have through various race leagues and maps.

My circle of gaming friends played Diablo 2 for the better part of a decade on a very regular basis. The same circle of friends played Diablo 3 for a couple months on a very regular basis and I can't even remember the last time I have seen more than a single of my bnet friends logged into D3 at a time. Personally its been a couple months since I played, and at that I just logged in, got a paragon level and logged out. Same old. It doesn't grip you like D2 did, so in contrast it fails in comparison.

Ultimately OP is right though I mean, I got it for "free" since I was subbed to wow anyway and honestly I got as much gameplay out of it that I would have from a lot of other games and I enjoyed the first couple of playthroughs thoroughly before it got extremely repetitive and old (which happened much faster than D2). I think it comes down to people holding Blizzard in such a high standard and D3 didn't compete with the other major titles that came out within the 12 months or so surrounding it. For example I know that I have clocked many times more hours into Skyrim and Borderlands 2 than I did D3...which is rare for a Blizzard game to not compete for my playtime.

By that fabulous logic
    The logic is that games should be complete or as complete as possible upon release or at the most 2-3 months after release. To this day D3 still hasnt fixed the loot issues. You know the game breaking one where you can play 15 hours a day for months and never get a drop. PoE is already a far better game than D3. Just the loot system and crafting alone makes it better. Working on my 3rd character thats almost 70+ and still have yet to buy a single item from another player for any of them. When I want to make an alt in D3 I am forced to sell off my main's gear to buy gear for my alt because its impossible to get to gear yourself out through farming much less an alt.