Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The point is the same thing LFG was for in WoW. To stop people from having to sit in chat for hours and hours, instead of actually playing the game. The auction house did not ruin the game. All it is is an alternative to trading. That's it.
    That's not the correct analogy is it ... finding/crafting gear is the fun part about hack&slash games. AH turns you finding fun stuff into you grinding crap to buy fun stuff because nothing that drops you can ever beat what you buy on ah. On the other hand looking for players in WoW was questionably form of having fun ... it was not all bad, but in the end it's more fun to play than to look for players.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Nothing is more deadly than spending your last hard earned gold on that lvl 63 awesome sword and then die 3 days later with 200k gold left at the bank as your only reserve ... Putting you down on your other lvl 53 with a half filled inventory as a lone reminder of your previously superbly equiped paragon champ...

Awesome game mechanics and so yes, the AH can be handled within a great Diablo game.
    Yeah, this can be true, but the HC mode in D3 is quite underdeveloped feature. Or was, not sure how it changes in recent patched if at all. Again if you compare to PoE with ladders, death announcements, races, support of instant logout instead 10 second of finger, characters just dropping to normal instead of being inaccessible ... I mean how did Blizz support HC mode in D3. You get the permanent death, that's the no effort feature and then what ... in enviroment where you can desync you don't even get instant logout or instant port to camp.

So while default mode in PoE is HC, in D3 HC is feature absolute majority of players passes on.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Diablo 3 was a commercial success.
    Despite the fact its success had a lot to do with success and fame of Diablo 2, which they failed to keep up with its expectation.
    For many people, they got the hours of entertainment worth of the money they spent, but it was not good enough to make them keep go back and play for more after while.
    Last edited by Elenion; 2013-04-29 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    That's not the correct analogy is it ... finding/crafting gear is the fun part about hack&slash games. AH turns you finding fun stuff into you grinding crap to buy fun stuff because nothing that drops you can ever beat what you buy on ah. On the other hand looking for players in WoW was questionably form of having fun ... it was not all bad, but in the end it's more fun to play than to look for players.
    It is a correct analogy. People just keep looking at the wrong thing. If itemization worked the way it did more in Diablo 2, then the auction house would function the way it ought to, eliminating the need to hang around chat rooms all day instead of playing the game. You know, what you do to farm items, playing the game. If finding gear is the fun part of these games (and it is, I'm definitely not disputing that), then what's the point in scouring third party forums and websites, and sitting around all day waiting for the right person with the right item to maybe trade?

General Off-topic/Fun Stuff/Diablo 3/Sports & Fitness mod(rules)------KUPO --------Sig by Elyssia------- Say hello to a world of marigolds

It is a correct analogy. People just keep looking at the wrong thing. If itemization worked the way it did more in Diablo 2, then the auction house would function the way it ought to, eliminating the need to hang around chat rooms all day instead of playing the game. You know, what you do to farm items, playing the game. If finding gear is the fun part of these games (and it is, I'm definitely not disputing that), then what's the point in scouring third party forums and websites, and sitting around all day waiting for the right person with the right item to maybe trade?
    You mean it would be correct analogy if the itemization and crafting was proper ... but they are not. Also probably the main issue with AH in D3 is that the items do not get spent thus the inflation is beyond ridiculous. Even if the itemization was done right with insane inflation the items you could get yourself couldn't compete with the growing indestructable pool of items that AH acumulates.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    By that fabulous logic, D2 was in open beta until at least patch 1.09. And SC was in open beta until BW 1.05 or something in that tune.
    As a practical matter, any game that gets updated in the way that Blizzard updates their games is more or less in beta until they stop updating it. That's a blessing in one sense because improvement and paying attention to the game should be a good thing. That doesn't excuse the plain fact that lack of an actual thorough beta pre-launch was a catastrophe.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

eliminating the need to hang around chat rooms all day instead of playing the game.
    You make it sound like it's some back room you have to sit around in doing nothing else, unless you're totally impaired when it comes to multitasking that you can't read while you play that's just not the case.

If finding gear is the fun part of these games (and it is, I'm definitely not disputing that), then what's the point in scouring third party forums and websites, and sitting around all day waiting for the right person with the right item to maybe trade?
    You could ask the same about the AH, the difference is accessibility, the AH makes it easy enough that the player won't go "it's not worth the effort" and continue to play the game instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    Even if the itemization was done right with insane inflation the items you could get yourself couldn't compete with the growing indestructable pool of items that AH acumulates.
    This just adds to the problem, people will fill their AH slots at all times saturating the market.

In a game where trading takes some effort and maintenance the seller will evaluate the items much more to make sure the reward of selling it is worth the effort needed to sell it in the first place. On the other end the buyer needs to evaluate he's time spent looking for items versus just playing the game, this reducing demand on mediocre items again getting more items discarded.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

I have to agree with this, for me that's what the AH should be.. but I definitely can't say that's what it is.