10+ Year Old Account

Possible Dying Video Card

So, a friend of mine is no longer able to play D3, and it is suspected that the video card may be dying. The problem is, they don't live near me, so I can't just swap out cards and straight test it.

It is a 9800 GT. Drivers are up to date.

WoW seems to run mostly normally as far as I can tell (she doesnt do raids current, but has been able to in the past). And D3 ran normally up until about a week ago. I need to verify what the actual symptom is, if it's low FPS, stuttering, or glitches of some kind.

Is there software that can determine if it's running at the correct clock speeds, and also check temperature?

(Edit, updated some information)
    Last edited by chazus; 2012-07-09 at 12:42 AM.

Deleted
    Download HWmonitor and check temps and yeah, the driver can cause this aswell.

FurMark
    Keep in mind that it's extremely stressful to the card. If it's overheating in regular games, it might kill it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Antutu /chars
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Get GPU-Z. Open it, then run a game or some 3D benchmarks. Check the "sensors" tab and it will give you temps, clock speeds, voltage, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So, a friend of mine is no longer able to play D3, and it is suspected that the video card may be dying. The problem is, they don't live near me, so I can't just swap out cards and straight test it.

I believe it's an nVidia 9800 (I will check to make sure soon)

WoW seems to run mostly normally as far as I can tell. And D3 ran normally up until about a week ago. I need to verify what the actual symptom is, if it's low FPS, stuttering, or glitches of some kind.

Is there software that can determine if it's running at the correct clock speeds, and also check temperature?

I don't know what driver version they are running, but the newest is 301.42, I will check with them and post back to make sure.
    I remember reading on the forums that the new patch for diablo 3 was giving a lot of people the stutter effect, try rolling back the video drivers. It helped some people but most are still experiencing the problem. Is it just diablo? If it is it's not his card. Some people are spectating it's a HDD issue. I have the problem as well and my HDD is brand new. Stuttering is the problem I experience.

Deleted
    If it's only 1 game I highly doubt it's the video card.

It's the game's problem.

Deleted
    dont forget diablo 3 is still new and still alittle buggy.. roll-back the update or pre-load the entire update using -image see if it helps

10+ Year Old Account
    I spoke with her further, and idle temps outside of games is 76C. That to me seems VERY high for idle.

Very high temperatures, but I don't recall if it's bad for the particular card...

My old 9800GTX+ never ran that hot.

I actually have a 9800 GT also and mine idles at 42C with 50% fan speed. Might want to tell her to clean out her card/PC.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I may have found the culprit. After doing some HW temp checks, the GPU seems to be running a little warm, but found out the CPU is idling at 70c, load at 100c. I don't even know how its not shutting down. Anyway, will work on that. >.<