Poll: Who would get the job

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Attractive women are less likely to be called for an interview than plain women. What's ambiguous about that?
    Nothing, but it's also not what you said. You said "they". I'm guessing Citrustree took that to mean men.

My first job, I worked at EB games (AUS Gamestop) There were 4 smokin hotties and 2 19-22 year old guys who knew about games. The hotties could not be on without one of us ":nerds" because they knew 0 about games, they were scared when the ps3 was introduced. It was difficult for them to tell the difference between PS2 and 3. But they worked there because they were hot and people would come into the shop to perv on them.

To add insult, men were required to wear black shoes long pants and long shirt/tie. They used to come to work in torn jeans... and manager was more than happy to oblige. It is a stupid double standardl but companies would not reinforce it if it didn't work.
    CPU: i7 3930k@4.4 Mobo: Rampage IV X79 RAM: 32GB Ripjaw @ 1600Mhz GPU: EVGA 780ti SC SSD: 128GB M4

I don't really get the whole subway argument; "if the person behind the counter is hot, its more likely to attract more customers."

Really? If I am hungry and want a sandwich, I go to the subway shop and order one, regardless of whos standing behind the counter. Of course, if the person looks dirty and unclean, coughs and sneezes, I will run the fuck away and go somewhere else. But it being an attractive female or male behind there wouldn't have any impact on me ordering food whatsoever. Me hungry, me find food. Not; me hungry, me look for attractive person to make me food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

Deleted
    From what I've read statistically a male interviewer is more likely to hire a beautiful female while a female interviewer is more likely not to hire a beautiful female.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    There is a fine line at interviews between looking like a $2 whore and being well presented.. So no I don;t think women have an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Explains why i can only ever find office jobs, I must look like Quasimodo or something.
    *cracks whip*
    BACK IN THE CUBICLE WITH YOU!

I know a girl who got a job based on her looks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Polio View Post
    Id rather have a hottie make my subway sandwich than some chud.
    I don't get why it's important who prepares your sandwich...but I still can imagine that many people think this way.

I'm going to say it's entirely based on the job itself. Also depends entirely on the employer.

I have done several interviews myself and even though most interviewers won't admit it, I think that almost anybody will prefer attractive females (and also males) over people that don't care about their looks (if all of them have equal experience etc.).
    But it's not (only) because they like attractive people, it's because attractive people will have an easier time getting integrated in the company both technically and personnally and therefore it's the best decision for the entire department and company.

It's definitely debatable if it's a good thing that more attractive people have an easier time in general but it's a fact.

Why is this even up for debate? Plenty of studies have already proved that the woman would get the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get out of business administration or any other field that women tend to swallow up. You won't have this problem. If you find an area where knowledge in math, science, or technology is a must, women will be almost nonexistent, or this will be less of a problem for you.

It really is going to depend on the job, the company, the one doing the hiring. There is an ice cream shop not far from me that has only ever had female employees all of them young and pretty but thats an unskilled job that the girls can help business with their looks. Now I would generally say most times if its an important position that most places would prefer the more experienced person for the job.

From the OPs description, this isn't much to do with Smoking Hot Females...

16 year olds will often accept much lower wages than older folks. They live with their parents. They're working for pocket money.

Plus, how much experience do you really need to toast sandwiches?

And for the record, if I were hiring someone for a skilled job, I'd be less likely to hire the attractive woman.

Why? Because she's attractive. Not only is it a distraction in the workplace if they dress inappropriately... but because I do know that attractive women tend to skate by in life with fewer qualifications.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly Laize, I'm confused as to why any of that matters? Wouldn't /anyone/ be a distraction in the workplace if they dress inappropriately?

I mean, if a male surgeon was walking around the hospital wearing the native outfit from the village people's YMCA song, people might notice. Sooner or later. Also, skilled is skilled. If there's an attractive woman who is qualified and capable, why take it out your annoyance with people who are NOT qualified and capable on her? I've never really understood the reasoning of punishing someone for something that is not their fault... should she take a shard of glass to her face just to make herself more acceptable to you?

Deleted
    I always thought females got it 90% more than the male, so pretty good guess looking at this poll

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, are you talking about subways or something else. Subways don't require you to have any kind of experience, it was my sister's first job. It's different with other jobs that require more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Honestly Laize, I'm confused as to why any of that matters? Wouldn't /anyone/ be a distraction in the workplace if they dress inappropriately?

I mean, if a male surgeon was walking around the hospital wearing the native outfit from the village people's YMCA song, people might notice. Sooner or later. Also, skilled is skilled. If there's an attractive woman who is qualified and capable, why take it out your annoyance with people who are NOT qualified and capable on her? I've never really understood the reasoning of punishing someone for something that is not their fault... should she take a shard of glass to her face just to make herself more acceptable to you?
    Why? Personal experience shows me that attractive women do tend to get away with more. In retail where it's known all employees must wear close toed shoes and khakis I see young girls walking around in flip flops and torn jeans. In high school I saw attractive girls get offered help on their work and projects while others were simply marked wrong. Attractive women get away with being outright mean far more than any other demographic. Is it really such a leap to assume that their whole life has been like that? Where they've been given extra edges and benefits simply because of their looks?

When I'm looking for productivity, I want someone I can be confident will do the best job possible. An attractive woman just isn't that in my experience. Unless I'm looking for a stripper.

I'm not saying they're unqualified for the job. I'm saying chances are good they're LESS qualified than an unattractive woman or man who didn't have such benefits in life.

I've known ONE exception and the only reason I even considered her equally qualified is because I read her master's thesis.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Why? Personal experience shows me that attractive women do tend to get away with more. In retail where it's known all employees must wear close toed shoes and khakis I see young girls walking around in flip flops and torn jeans. In high school I saw attractive girls get offered help on their work and projects while others were simply marked wrong. Attractive women get away with being outright mean far more than any other demographic. Is it really such a leap to assume that their whole life has been like that? Where they've been given extra edges and benefits simply because of their looks?

When I'm looking for productivity, I want someone I can be confident will do the best job possible. An attractive woman just isn't that in my experience. Unless I'm looking for a stripper.
    Actually, it IS quite a leap to assume that their whole life has been like that. Being an attractive adult doesn't mean you were an attractive teenager, for one. Several of the people I knew who were plain in high school put a lot of work into their looks and are stunning nowadays. And a lot of the high school hotties aren't so hot anymore. People change. Secondly, why do you blame the women for getting away with more? Shouldn't you, instead, blame the people who allow them to? Would it not make more sense to say that you should not hire men in managerial roles because they can't be trusted to do their job properly? Most people would jump at the opportunity to wear comfortable clothes to work, it's not their fault that the people who are supposed to be in charge are terrible at their job. And yes, if you can't hold all your employees to the same standard because a cute girl makes you go all stupid, you're terrible at your job. That's your problem, not theirs.