Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I don't think it's pathetic, but it is kinda strange. I think that half the fun of going to the movies comes from the friends you hang out with before, during and after the movie. Me and my friend I usually go to the movies with always eat before, make stupid comments during the commercials before the movie, and afterwards have a sleepover or go out, bromance ftw lol.

Deleted
    90% of the movies i saw in the cinema i was alone... Am i sad for doing this? xD

Deleted
    I've never went to the movies by myself simply because I like to be able to discuss the movie on the way home with friends, but watching a movie at the cinemas isn't a group activity, since as you said OP, you sit silently in the dark, so for the sake of seeing the movie it doesn't matter if you're alone or not.
    So no, I don't think it's strange to go and watch a movie by yourself, even if that's not how I choose to roll. Each to his own really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the only thing is that if you see it with a friend you can talk about the movie on the trip home... But going alone is normal/i dont see why people should look at you as an pathetic person or something, as said: you sit in a room in total darkness.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    The question in itself is self explanatory. But heres some background information for the reasoning behind me asking this on the forums.

I am currently a college student and semi full time worker.

I just went and saw Ted at the movies by myself. It wasn't really a big deal for me because I occasionally go to films by myself. But the particular thing about this recent solo trip to the movies is that I ran into an old friend of mine whom poked fun at me when he realized that I in fact went and saw a movie on my own rather than with someone. The person in the other seat of his car gave me a weird look as well. I am assuming that some people believe that a trip to the movies is a group activity despite the fact that you are sitting in a dark room in silence.

I have always been a soloist when it comes to most things. I mind my own business, pursue my interests (Work and School), check these forums, and play WoW. However, If most people believe that someone going to the movies by themselves is either weird or pathetic, It might give me second thoughts when I go see the Dark Knight Rises and other movies that I am interested in. Which brings me to the forums to ask for your opinions.

So what do you guys think? Is going to the movies by yourself strange or seen as strange by the majority?
    Neither strange nor pathetic...Let the retards look at you with that look in their eye...You're there to WATCH a movie...Not to speak with friends...So it's totally NORMAL to go by yourself...The people looking weirdly at you are the ones who'd NEVER grow the balls needed to go there alone...

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely not. Have been watching movies on my own for years and I do not feel that it is necessary to bring company with me. You must live in a pretty bizarre world if you think doing anything alone is pathetic or strange just because you do not have friends with you.

Pathetic is to ask for majority opinion.
    Kenny gona die tonight!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    The person in the other seat of his car gave me a weird look as well.
    People who are being self-conscious and think they are doing something weird tend to think everybody is looking at them. But usually, nobody is looking at them. In all likelihood, not one person was thinking "I can't believe that guy is going to the movies alone". They're probably thinking "herpderp YEAH MOVIE TIME"

Maybe the guy in the car looked funny at you because he saw you looking at him. Eye contact does weird things.

Not pathetic, stop caring so much what people think.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love going to the movies alone at 23:00. The cinema is nearly empty, which means no background noise and nobody is talking to me during the movie, because I'm alone. Afterall I went there to watch the bloody movie.
    I must say, that I felt a little bit weird when I did this the first time about 10 years ago. And it wasn't even planned because the buddy I was going with, cancelled in the last minute. But it was so freaking awesome that I've been doing this for every must see movie ever since.
    "You're messing with my zen thing, man!"

I dont see anything wrong with going to the cinema by yourself. I do it quite often aswell and if someone says anything I don't really care. I'm just there to see the movie and then go home. I don't always go by myself though. I find myself going to the movie with people aswell. But no, nothing wrong with it and definitely not pathetic, the people who thinks like that are pathetic themselves.

No, it's not pathetic. Sometimes either your partner, friend, spouse, whomever, just doesn't like what you like...that happens all the time. I've done it often and it can be very relaxing. What is pathetic is any comment making you feel uncomfortable about being yourself. Go alone and enjoy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually it is better if you go alone because you will not be distracted by what your friends are whispering and what not especially in action, thriller (serious movies). However, if we're speaking comedy then yeah going with a group seems the way to go since you probably will laugh more with a group.

10+ Year Old Account
    what i dont get is how watching a movie with friends/loved ones, etc., is some grand social event not to be missed, personally, i believe going with company is overrated. if i wanted to talk about the movie afterwards i can pickup the phone or talk to them in person about the film... but in my experience, we typically arrive at the theatre separately, only socialize if standing in line, sit in silence for the duration of the film, and talk for maybe the 5 minutes it takes to reach our cars and drive off in different directions. so exactly what did i miss?

that being said, i dont go out of my way to see movies alone, especially for the real 'event' type movies, like the dark knight, avatar, etc., i just am tired of waiting for people to arrange their schedules or cant be arsed to make up their minds. ive literallty missed concerts and movies and trips because of waiting on other people, and swore not to be held hostage anymore.

no, there are some movies that do seem a bit weird when someones by themselves like romantic movies and stuff since those are typically for couples but movies like comedies and action movies most people actually go by themselves, atleast people i know unless they have a family. i typically like to go to the movies alone especially comedies and action movies since i dont have to worry about is this a brand of comedy my friend/gf will like or will they enjoy this if its sci fi or do they like fantasy more ect ect.

typically unless its a childrens movie or a romance movie nobody will think its weird that your there by yourself
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I've never been at the movies alone before, but now that I think about it, it doesn't really sound like a bad idea.

Pick a movie I think I'm really gonna enjoy, hit the cinema on a less crowded day, perhaps a weekday during early afternoon. And then just enjoy it by myself without having to suffer someone commenting about the movie during the play.

Might try it out.

I think that people might generalize and think of it as a strange thing, as "going to the movies" for them is heavily associated with group activity.

As a person that has never gone to the movies or a restaurant by myself, my opinion is that it isn't pathetic.

Deleted
    i would prefer it if more people went by them selves. less people talking during films

so, no, i say its not pathetic at all. ive never actually been by myself though.

I Go to movies alone and Go to restaurants alone, I tend not to like people enough to want to do too much with them. so, Pathetic absolutely not, Strange? only in the sense that most people go with Friends because they want to do something together.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serraphis View Post
    I always felt strange about it, but never thought it pathetic or anything. When I started going to Uni (College) I would have long gaps between classes (3-4hrs). I lived about 45mins to an hour (depending on traffic) away from uni so going home for lunch or what ever was never an option really. There is a cinema about 7 mins away by bus so I decided to just go and see a movie one day and haven't looked back since.

Could have gone with mates but different schedules etc etc. Was just easier to go by myself. I do still feel weird about it when I go to the ticket booth but that's just psychological.

Like someone said, its an activity you do in silence in a dark room. So no worries going by yourself!
    had to comment on this due to the sole fact that I went and saw Ted At the college Square theater next to the University of Northern Iowa. I feel more comfy knowing now that not only do people do it as well but its also common in the area of which I live. (Im attending Hawkeye.)