10+ Year Old Account

Upper Body Workout

So, I'm looking to start doing core and upper body work, since I'm getting into the whole health kick, finally. I'm mainly looking to lose weight/belly.

My diet is good currently, with a decent caloric deficit.
    I do light stationary biking daily, which is a decent cardio and lower workout.

I'd like to start doing the upper body stuff, however there's an issue that I probably should go to a doctor for... whenever I get health insurance. For one, I cannot do pushups, period. It's not the weight thats the problem, I have good arm and shoulders strength, however for whatever reason, the push up motion (or benching) makes my elbows make horrible cracking noises every time. This to me registers as bad. It's not painful, however extremely disconcerting. I can probably do curling (haven't tried) and pullups (don't have a means of doing so atm).

Any good core/upper workouts that don't include putting stress on the elbows/shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    So, I'm looking to start doing core and upper body work, since I'm getting into the whole health kick, finally. I'm mainly looking to lose weight/belly.

I'd like to start doing the upper body stuff, however there's an issue that I probably should go to a doctor for... whenever I get health insurance. For one, I cannot do pushups, period. It's not the weight thats the problem, I have good arm and shoulders strength, however for whatever reason, the push up motion (or benching) makes my elbows make horrible cracking noises every time. This to me registers as bad. It's not painful, however extremely disconcerting. I can probably do curling (haven't tried) and pullups (don't have a means of doing so atm).

Any good core/upper workouts that don't include putting stress on the elbows/shoulders?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=core+%2B+upper+body+workouts

Infracted
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2012-07-10 at 07:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't you believe that this section of the forums are more appropriate? I certainly do. :]

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you want an upper body workout that you can do without using your arms? interesting

Im not a doctor or anything but I will tell you if it doesnt hurt then its 98% likely that your elbows crack because despite what you think your arms are weak, maybe not the major muscle groups like your shoulders or biceps or pecs but the more important stabilizing muscles and tendons

If youre not getting Omega3-6-9 fatty acids youre wrong so look at your diet there.

there are also a lot of supplements you can take for joint health like Sesamin or Cissus.

But ignoring the ridiculousness of the idea of doing upper body without elbows or shoulders you can do:
    push-ups from the knee until you are strong enough to support your own weight
    staggered arm push ups
    dumbbell flys
    reverse dumbbell flys
    back extensions
    good mornings
    lat raises
    kettlebell lat raises
    stiff leg dead lift
    air squats
    wall sits
    sit ups

there are a million workouits for your upper body and to be honest i dont know your fitness level but if you cant do push ups id say you should stay away from weights for a while. but the only way to get stronger is to man (or woman) up and just do it.

remember upper body is not just biceps and bench press, you need to work out all the major groups (shoulders, pecs, bicep, tricep lower back, mid back and abs) as well as the supplementary muscle groups (delts, lats, forearms, obliques, neck)

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, thanks. I was hoping for peoples opinions and responses, not useless google links. Considering the first like 4 hits listed specifically what I wasn't looking for.

Don't you believe that this section of the forums are more appropriate? I certainly do. :]
    Didn't realize that was there, I just based it off another fitness post that wasn't there. My bad.

---------- Post added 2012-07-10 at 12:19 AM ----------

So you want an upper body workout that you can do without using your arms? interesting
    I didn't say that. I simply can't do forward pressure on my arms, I can do pulling just fine, and anything else with my arms. Just not pushups or benching. Upper body, oddly, is not just your elbows.

Oh, thanks. I was hoping for peoples opinions and responses, not useless google links. Considering the first like 4 hits listed specifically what I wasn't looking for.
    *Snip*

Let's keep this thread clear of unnecessary provocation, thank you.
    Last edited by Northern Goblin; 2012-07-13 at 12:06 AM.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So you ignore the rest of my post

Im sorry but if you want an upper body workout that doesn't involve shoulders or elbows youre pretty much out of luck. man up and do push ups until your weak arms stop crackling at the elbows a doctor will tell you the same thing only a little nicer, im here to keep it real with you. if it doesn't hurt then you're fine you're just weak, not being mean just truthful

Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post

Im sorry but if you want an upper body workout that doesn't involve shoulders or elbows youre pretty much out of luck. man up and do push ups until your weak arms stop crackling at the elbows a doctor will tell you the same thing only a little nicer, im here to keep it real with you. if it doesn't hurt then you're fine you're just weak, not being mean just truthful
    Or, you know, he has joint problems.
    I have the same condition in my right shoulder - can't put pressure on it in a certain way, as it causes cracks (and extreme pain).

I'd go with machines, since those are usually safer for training with an injury (of sorts). Cable crossover, LAT pulldowns etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazuuPriest View Post

I didn't ignore the rest of your post, I just didn't criticize it, since it had useful information instead of snarky useless stuff.
    I'm not sure why you insist on ignoring my posts. I never once said "doesn't involve shoulders or elbows". It's actually a very particular motion they don't like. And, while I'm not a doctor, it's not a case of 'weak arms'. I highly doubt I could hold and bench 200+, if I were 'weak'. It's just that doing so causes a very disconcerting things. I'm fairly certain it's the same reason my other joints pop if I stretch in certain ways.

Anyway, I'll have to see if our complex has pulldown or crossover equipment. They have a gym, but it's smaller than my kitchen.

1st off, if you are interested in losing fat, esp belly fat, an upper body/core workout really won't mean anything. Nothing other than a good diet/nutrion plan will change that unless you truly are in the gym 4-5 hours a day with most of that being cardio.

2nd, depending on the core exercise, most of it is without use of elbows or arms. crunches, leg lifts, bicycle crunches, etc... are all done that way. Although my personal favorite core exercise lately is using an ab wheel, but that might put a lot of stress on the elbow.

In terms of the elbow, 1st thing I'd suggest, go see a chiropractor. I'd look for one tied to a school, and as thus it's possible to get a near free exam of your elbows and shoulder. It's done through students supervised by an actual teaching chiropractor so the diagnosis' are pretty accurate. That's what I've done as I don't have health insurance. I had a knee issue where I thought I might have blown my acl, but turns out it was a dislocated patella. I heard a pop when I was playing volleyball and couldn't walk afterwards. The way I saw it, I go see the chiro/student for free, and if it was an acl injury, then they'd refer me somewhere else. As it was pretty much free, it was a win/win situation.

Try taking Glucosamine, it does wonders for joints.

Deleted
    OP, don't just find some exercise and try to input them at your workouts. If you are a beginner, I would suggest going on to bodybuilding.com and finding some decent program, it will have daily video etc, also lots of info there.
    GL with your weight loss goals, if you do it correctly it can be fun, like it was for me

10+ Year Old Account

Take a read at this chazus: http://www.livestrong.com/article/42...i-do-push-ups/

Just explains about the elbow popping. But if no pain occurs after you are perfectly fine!! Keep strong buddy and glad to see your traversing down the fitness road!
    Stationed at McGuire, AFB.
    PC Specs: i5-3570K, GTX 690, Gigabyte UD5H, Corsair Vengeance 8GB, Corsair AX750, H100i, Phantom 630 case, Asus VH236H

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account

I've been in your boat before but the area was my shoulder (almost completely severed the tendon that connects your rotator cuff and collar bone due to "spearing" a tree after flying over the handle bars of a quad that went from 45 mph to a dead stop) and it was pretty painful for months (couldn't even put my own shirt on) and popped/ground on occasion while doing pushups. My hips also popped (without pain) while doing situps. You, however, suffer from no pain. I don't see any reason for their to be an underlying condition, so here's my advice: Just do it.

The more you work those tendons and muscles the stronger they'll get. Eventually, you'll be cured or the possible underlying condition will fully present itself. Either way, you're getting your workout done.

As a another poster said you could try supplementing with glucosamine - Personally i would add in some taurine - it works wonders with joint problems and pains.

I m going to answer about the cracking noises.
    They happen to me also when i do squats or shoulder exercises after a long break, or without proper warm up.
    Just warm up slowly and do light exercises for a week or so and they should stop.
    Supliments may help also, havent tried any myself tho.