Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I have no idea what anyone can do with Superman to make him less shitty. Superman is just flawed for movies; he's a Mary Sue. There is no downsides to being Superman other than Kryptonite. Are they going to try to make him emo by bringing a "missing my family/world" angle into it? I just don't understand his appeal; he's always been lame if you ask me. They really shouldn't make superheroes with every super power you could think of.
    You clearly haven't bothered to do your homework on the character, lemme explain. Superman is no more of a Mary Sue in his setting than Thor is in his. He's actually got a lot going on with character development, more than I can get into in a single post. Concerning power though, Superman can be counterbalanced by many other cosmic entities. The fights where Superman has been against equal or greater opponents have been fan favorites for year. Observe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsRlynQevA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAOY...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbINs...feature=relmfu

And no, I have no idea why such a short fight was split into 3 parts. This is the only video(s) of this fight on youtube that I could find without some horrible problem in them. If people want to make a damn music video they should mark it as such! *rages at annoying uploaders*

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    im sure it will happen, but without being setup as good as the avengers was i dont think itll be as successful. notice i said AS successful. i believe if the script was decent and they got a good director it would pull in some dough.

im a rare breed, i enjoyed batman begins far more than the dark knight. i didnt mine the superman remake although it was kinda bland seeing lex luthor yet again. great villain but some variety would be nice. i didnt really mind the green lantern either, it was more of a funny/silly movie than a serious/brooding flick.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just dont think it would work that well as a movie tbh. The heroes other than batman are just lame on the movie screen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr View Post
    A few things led to the success of The Avengers--firstly all the IPs were in the hands of a tight group of owners who don't mind sharing (except Sony are dicks which is why Spiderman didn't make an appearance). Secondly most of those IPs had box office success in their own individual movies. And thirdly, Joss Whedon is a boss.

The Justice League would be considerably harder to pull off. Batman is the only DC IP that has had any success in recent years. Superman Returns stunk, Catwoman really stunk, the Wonder Woman show never took off, and the Green Lantern movie was so bad that it gave me acid reflux. I don't think a JL movie is in the cards. It's possible that if they can make a good Superman movie then maybe there could be a Batman/Superman crossover film, but who really knows.
    Sony wasn't exactly "being dicks." They own the film rights to Spiderman and most likely paid a hefty sum for it. If you paid a ton of money for a character and then made 4 movies building up the character, would you just let someone else then use said character in their movie? Hell no, you would want to get some of the money generated by that film..

The Justice League movie is most certainly in the cards. They are already working on it with Will Beall (writer of the up-coming Gangster Squad movie) currently working on a script. With as huge of a success the Avengers movie was, as popular as comic book movies are right now, and with Nolan's Batman franchise ending with the next movie, they would be stupid not to make it. Even if it is nowhere close to as big a hit as the Avengers, it will still likely make a lot of money unless it is a total disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    You clearly haven't bothered to do your homework on the character, lemme explain. Superman is no more of a Mary Sue in his setting than Thor is in his. He's actually got a lot going on with character development, more than I can get into in a single post. Concerning power though, Superman can be counterbalanced by many other cosmic entities. The fights where Superman has been against equal or greater opponents have been fan favorites for year. Observe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsRlynQevA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcAOY...feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbINs...feature=relmfu

And no, I have no idea why such a short fight was split into 3 parts. This is the only video(s) of this fight on youtube that I could find without some horrible problem in them. If people want to make a damn music video they should mark it as such! *rages at annoying uploaders*
    I still don't see it. I've "done my homework" on him, believe me. I grew up with the JL cartoons, and my dad practically made me read all his old Superman comics, and I remember playing Superman video games on my old Sega Genesis. And I still never enjoyed him nearly as much as I do Batman or Spiderman. I watched the fight you linked, and it just bored me. There's nothing fun about a character that has super strength, super speed, can fly, laser eyes, and whatever else power the guy has (frost breast? + a multitude of other things?), because the only way you can create a villain who can defeat him is to give either a) Kryptonite or b) all the powers he has + a little more.

With characters like Batman and Spiderman, you know, people who aren't crazy ass aliens with every single power in the world, you can have villains who aren't so comic-y. You can have people like the Lizard and Two Face, villains who have diversity, and it's still a challenge for them. Superman can't have villains like that, because he would just destroy them (unless of course they get Kryptonite, which gets lame after the 50,000th time.)

It's kinda the same reason why I never understood the Dragonball Z appeal. By the time you get a few seasons into it, everyone's just "POWA LEVELLLLLLLLLL RAWRRRRRR I'M ALIVE AGAIN AND A LITTLE BIT STRONGER!!!!!!!!! PUNCH PUNCH RAWRRRRRRRR". It gets lame, honestly.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm right there with vizzle, Superman just never did it for me. It's almost like Jerry and Joe decided to make the most amazingly powerful character ever, and after finishing went

Jerry- Hmm, now how will we defeat him?
    Joe- Oh I know!! A small rock.
    Jerry- Brilliant!
    Joe- But not just any small rock, a small green rock.
    Jerry- Brilliant!

Now as for the JL movie, I don't expect it for a good 5 years. And to be honest I really think it would be a mistake to release it without introducing the characters before hand because you are trying to sell to a mass market, not just comic book and cartoon geeks. Also, I think we can expect another Batman reboot prior to the release of a JL movie.

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    I'm right there with vizzle, Superman just never did it for me. It's almost like Jerry and Joe decided to make the most amazingly powerful character ever, and after finishing went

Jerry- Hmm, now how will we defeat him?
    Joe- Oh I know!! A small rock.
    Jerry- Brilliant!
    Joe- But not just any small rock, a small green rock.
    Jerry- Brilliant!

Now as for the JL movie, I don't expect it for a good 5 years. And to be honest I really think it would be a mistake to release it without introducing the characters before hand because you are trying to sell to a mass market, not just comic book and cartoon geeks. Also, I think we can expect another Batman reboot prior to the release of a JL movie.
    Except that's not at all how Superman started out. He couldn't fly, he was only faster than a train, and wasn't completely invulnerable. Artillery shells could put a serious dent in him back in the old days. Kryptonite still did it's thing, but so did a sufficiently hefty beating. Blame the writers over the years for expanding his powers to ridiculous levels. Same thing with Wonder Woman. I about shit a brick when I saw her in whatever-the-hell cartoon it was and she just started flying like it was no big deal. "WTF!" I said, "Since when can Wonder Woman fly without the jet?" Since now, apparently.

Superman is tricky to manage on his own. He has plenty of villains that work well with him, Lex being a prime example. He's a normal human who has to rely on his wits and ingenuity to fight the Man of Steel. None of the movies do a great job of working with that, but the cartoons manage it pretty well more often than not. Metallo is a Kryptonite powered robot/cyborg/thingie, Darkseid is, well, Darkseid. He's Superman's Venom, in a manner of speaking. Doomsday is a fun animated villain for the sheer amount of destruction he can weave, but that doesn't translate well to the big screen I think. No room for character development, just smash smash smash. Superman also lacks resistance to magic and some psychic manipulation, so there's that to work with, too. Manchester Black basically gave him a stroke in the last animated flick they put out.

The real good stuff comes with pairing up Supes with other heroes. He clashes nicely with Batman, and has a kind of "I feel you bro" thing going on with Martian Manhunter. A Justice League movie almost has to start in media res, just because it takes so long to build up to that sort of team dynamic without doing it Avengers style. They might swing it if they: 1) Started the project off with the new Man of Steel movie 2) Ignore Green Lantern, or make a really really good sequel 3) Reboot Batman last to avoid pissing all over Nolan's hard work.

The problems is see are: 1) Choosing a starting line up. There are a lot of Justice League members to work with. 2) Picking an appropriate villain/antagonist group. I agree that Darkseid is a prime choice for the sheer scale of "oh shit, he's here" he brings to the table, and it matches scale with Thanos being set up for the baddie in Avengers 2. 3) Making us care about the heroes in the span of one movie, if they go that route.

Marvel's approach worked because their characters are easily to relate to. Thor may be a god, but he's also an arrogant ass with an inflated ego. Stark is a billionaire, but he struggles with morality, family legacy, and his guilt. Banner is a good man on the run from the US military, out of contact with the woman he loves, and constantly has to keep himself under control or else he turns into an engine of rage and destruction. Rogers is possibly worst off of all, being completely isolated from everything and everyone he ever knew or loved in a time that's completely alien to him (old folks will sympathize here if they spend 15 minutes in a mall when there are teenagers milling about). I don't think that I empathize with DC characters nearly as much. Maybe that's because we already have the Marvel movies, who knows. Superman has the "Power means responsibility" thing, Batman is...Batman, Hal Jordan has overcoming his fear, but what about Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Hawkman, or Flash? Where's the humanity to relate to with these guys?

Man this got long winded without really saying much.

To conclude: Doing a "group movie" requires a lot of planning across a lot of movies, or else skipping detailed origin stories and character development to do it in one. I don't see DC taking the years to do the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one good thing about Green Lantern is if they wanted to distance any Justice League movie from the whole Ryan Reynolds fiasco, they could just ditch Hal Jordan for now and use John Stewart or Kyle Rayner or something.

I still don't see it. I've "done my homework" on him, believe me. I grew up with the JL cartoons, and my dad practically made me read all his old Superman comics, and I remember playing Superman video games on my old Sega Genesis. And I still never enjoyed him nearly as much as I do Batman or Spiderman. I watched the fight you linked, and it just bored me. There's nothing fun about a character that has super strength, super speed, can fly, laser eyes, and whatever else power the guy has (frost breast? + a multitude of other things?), because the only way you can create a villain who can defeat him is to give either a) Kryptonite or b) all the powers he has + a little more.

With characters like Batman and Spiderman, you know, people who aren't crazy ass aliens with every single power in the world, you can have villains who aren't so comic-y. You can have people like the Lizard and Two Face, villains who have diversity, and it's still a challenge for them. Superman can't have villains like that, because he would just destroy them (unless of course they get Kryptonite, which gets lame after the 50,000th time.)

It's kinda the same reason why I never understood the Dragonball Z appeal. By the time you get a few seasons into it, everyone's just "POWA LEVELLLLLLLLLL RAWRRRRRR I'M ALIVE AGAIN AND A LITTLE BIT STRONGER!!!!!!!!! PUNCH PUNCH RAWRRRRRRRR". It gets lame, honestly.
    If you've done your homework on the character, and you really don't understand the appeal, and you don't understand the appeal of DBZ, I doubt any explanation could make you understand. You probably also didn't like the Expendables I'm guessing lol.

If you've done your homework on the character, and you really don't understand the appeal, and you don't understand the appeal of DBZ, I doubt any explanation could make you understand. You probably also didn't like the Expendables I'm guessing lol.
    It's called having a different opinion. Not everyone is obsessed with "hur dur I'm strongr nao, no wait now ur strongr zomgz!"

It's called having a different opinion. Not everyone is obsessed with "hur dur I'm strongr nao, no wait now ur strongr zomgz!"
    Never said there's anything wrong with it. You were the one in the first post that I quoted that said you don't understand the appeal of a character like that. I'm saying that sort of thing probably just isn't for you.

What I am wondering about is in DC their heroes seem to be the cliche type of super hero, wearing tights and being iconically heroic. I am not sure how well that would play in movies nowadays.

Fuck me that cinematic looks great. Can't wait to play it and see a movie of Justice League.

---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 01:24 PM ----------

Never said there's anything wrong with it. You were the one in the first post that I quoted that said you don't understand the appeal of a character like that. I'm saying that sort of thing probably just isn't for you.
    He pretty much said that and you were basically telling him (and everyone else) the obvious. In this post that is.. In your initial response, all you managed to get out of your system is your anger because someone didn't like what you like.

You're the one bashing someone that's expressing an opinion. Why? Just ignore his post if you don't like his opinion. There's nothing you will be able to change about it. Especially in such a manner.
    Last edited by Rampant Rabbit; 2012-07-14 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Fuck me that cinematic looks great. Can't wait to play it and see a movie of Justice League.

---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 01:24 PM ----------

He pretty much said that and you were basically telling him (and everyone else) the obvious. In this post that is.. In your initial response, all you managed to get out of your system is your anger because someone didn't like what you like.

You're the one bashing someone that's expressing an opinion. Why? Just ignore his post if you don't like his opinion. There's nothing you will be able to change about it. Especially in such a manner.
    I think you greatly misunderstood my intent. I was not angry. I said it didn't sound like he did his homework because he said there's no downside to being Superman, other than Kryptonite. That's simply not true, hence why I questioned his character knowledge. For an example of the downsides of being Superman, read the DC One Million Superman Prime story arc.

And secondly, he said, "I just don't understand his appeal; he's always been lame if you ask me.". He said he didn't understand the appeal of the character, thus I tried to help him understand. I was not bashing him for an opinion. Sheesh, people around here are so damn serious all the time.

Deleted
    Well the president of Warner Bros confirmed that the Justice League script is currently being worked on. They are rebooting the Batman series just for this. And Man of Steel is just about to be released too.

Can't wait for a Justice League movie! Justice League > Avengers.

http://screenrant.com/justice-league...t-kofi-108226/
    Last edited by mmoc4695cacc2b; 2012-08-25 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    Well the president of Warner Bros confirmed that the Justice League script is currently being worked on. They are rebooting the Batman series just for this. And Man of Steel is just about to be released too.

Can't wait for a Justice League movie! Justice League > Avengers.

http://screenrant.com/justice-league...t-kofi-108226/
    That article you linked is pretty old. But yeah, I think a Justice League movie has real potential. The Avengers, while a great movie imo, suffered from lack of a great villain. DC has tons and tons of great villains, many of them capable of taking on the entire JLA. The problem with Marvel and The Avengers is that Thor and The Hulk don't really have comparable villains aside from Thanos, (who will obviously be used for Avengers 2) and Cosmic Entities such as Galactus. Without a villain that's comparable in power, it's difficult to have any sort of dramatic tension. Because really, nothing in The Avengers could hurt Thor or The Hulk.

All I can say about a Justice League movie, is that I hope they do the smart thing and use Darkseid.