Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

When is it actually acceptable to surrender?

A lot of talk has been going around about how people should NEVER GIVE UP and NEVER SURRENDER, and that they all think that they can be like Tim Tebow and pull off an epic comeback win at the 45 minute mark. And on the other hand, there are people that will initiate surrenders once someone has died like two times or a score is around 6-8 at 20, saying "SURRENDER AT 20".

That makes me want to ask, when is it acceptable to surrender? When the game is 4v5? When the game is 3v5? When the team score is 0-20? When the enemy has a fed Vayne, Veigar, and/or Nasus? When you have a feeding Evelynn? Nope, I've seen people saying that "WE CAN WIN THIS!" in those situations.

I have been guilty of being one of those "NEVER GIVE UP" people, because even with those losing games, I still found a way to enjoy myself and have fun. I have yet to get into a situation when a game because completely out of reach and unfun, one possible example being when the teamscore is 10-100 and your 4 teammates are intentionally feeding as if they were trying to set a League of Legends death record, in which case I'll consider surrendering. I'll also accept surrenders when I'm playing a game with real-life "friends" to respect their wishes and not be greedy by dragging out a painful loss further.

Here's another example:

How many people would think that surrendering in this situation is unacceptable?
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-06-30 at 11:05 PM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Never, I never surrender. You would not believe how many games I have won even after we lose an inhibitor or two. All it takes is ONE kill to initiate an Aace or quadkill at a pivotal moment to win you the game.

Your two examples are the only two I can think of, honestly if you go into a game with the mindset of "we can win," then at no point should you really think of surrendering. Just my 2 cents.

Fed nasus? who cares, kite that SOB. OT: Surrender whenever you feel like (unranked), never (ranked).
    Reasoning: Unranked i want to maximise my IP/hr, if I see the chances of us winning are too slim. Just take the IP for a loss and go again! Ranked: want to maximise ELO, therefor surrendering should never be an option since you actually lose ELO when losing.

Kids are watching/reading Naruto, so... "Give up making me give up!"

When I see the majority wanting to surrender is when I do i.e. 3 votes for surrender already since clearly your team is done. Often times I get someone wanting to troll a non-surrender when though we clearly lost just because "NEVAR GEIF UP!" which gets on my nerves and the other guy won't actually communicate. So a 45 minute game turns into a hour and twenty minute game because the other team is just farming us is the worst.

I still go by "The worst thing you can do is waste someone's time" which holds true quite often.

Well, if one champion is overly fed and team is failing each team fight, it's better to surrender.
    And yes, there are champions even if fed, that can be killed with no problem, but if it's an indestructible tank or some tankier bruiser that makes it terrible.
    I'd say, you can win any game while losing few towers and being 15 deaths behind other team.
    In late game when everyone is decked out with full builds it's getting much more to skill/luck/push! than "omg fed"

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzix View Post
    I still go by "The worst thing you can do is waste someone's time" which holds true quite often.
    That is a damned good sentiment sir, and for that I concede my opinion is short-sighted, and you are correct. That is, of course, assuming the majority (3/4) of the other players on your team feel you're wasting their time.

It depends. I surrender at 20 if we have lost like 3-4 towers and the score is 2 - 18 in enemy favour. It has happened :/

Deleted
    I'm rather unwilling to surrender, mostly because the winning team tends to get cocky and overly confident, the more so the higher their advantage. I've pulled rather ridiculous, half-impossible turnarounds thanks to aces/quadras pulled out of nowhere when the enemies got stupid with their "lol we won already" feeling, as well as lost some of my nearly won games in similar fashion. After all, one ace in late game is enough to push the inhibitor, and possibly even the nexus, from having no tower kills in a lane so long as the team did not decide to go afk.

When you realize your entire team together can't kill their 2 most fed champions.

After a certain experience with this game, you come to recognize situations where the outcome is pretty much pre determined. The chances are always there for a victory, I won't deny it, but they are very small. If I sense that the enemy will walk allover us, and bring us a humiliating defeat, I won't hesitate to surrender.

Deleted
    I dont like the whole surrendering option at all. Its all too easy solution / escape and doesnt imo drive people towards better playing by analysing what went wrong... That 54-13 crushing defeat at least for me would cause a reaction "I dont want this kind of result ever again, what went wrong / what should I/we do different next time..." Now its surrender at 20 when the score is that "crushing" 9-6, maybe one tower down... And then people rush to the next game and do that little mess up again and surprise surprise, whats it gonna be, SURRENDER AT 20, again

Deleted
    I do /surrender when the opposing team is obviously toying with us, not pushing towers after aced etc. In cases where I can imagine them saying "don't end it".

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't surrender unless i believe we can't come back annymore, which is hardly ever. Unless people are feeding on purpose or beign asholes but thenn id want the game to end even if we where winning annyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    I do /surrender when the opposing team is obviously toying with us, not pushing towers after aced etc. In cases where I can imagine them saying "don't end it".
    Same thing, it felt an insult. >

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belajasx View Post
    I dont like the whole surrendering option at all. Its all too easy solution / escape and doesnt imo drive people towards better playing by analysing what went wrong... That 54-13 crushing defeat at least for me would cause a reaction "I dont want this kind of result ever again, what went wrong / what should I/we do different next time..." Now its surrender at 20 when the score is that "crushing" 9-6, maybe one tower down... And then people rush to the next game and do that little mess up again and surprise surprise, whats it gonna be, SURRENDER AT 20, again
    I think installing LoL Replay and watching those would be a better learning experience. I have a ton of games saved where we could have won but mistakes by myself or other teammates cost us the game. I also have a few complete stomps both ways to see exactly what went wrong that caused us to get beat so bad, or for us the beat them so bad.

That said, I will surrender early only if we are getting wrecked and there is crazy arguing/insulting. If we are getting beat bad but still trying I won't surrender till we start losing inhibitors. Other than that, I don't surrender. I also don't surrender if someone has been an asshat all game and calls for surrenders without ever starting one himself. It's my way of saying fuck you without using the chat.

NEVER SAY DIE!!!

Honestly, I surrender when the enemy team is about 20 kills ahead of us within the first 20 minutes. It means you are getting wrecked and will continue to do so. Otherwise, I never surrender. It doesn't make sense to me surrendering after investing so much time into a game. The enemy team won a team fight. Big whoop. Loosing a team fight doesn't mean you lost the game.

I have been in matches where we are about 15 kills behind the enemy team and one guy is "OMFG! WE GOT NUBZ TEAM! WE ARE LOOSING! SURRENDHAR!!! I DON'T WANT TO PLAY WITH NUBZ!!111", only for us to go on and win. And you should read what they write the game. Funny stuff.

Just played a game yesterday where we got stomped at the start. Our Poppy started to call Amumu noob and stuff and I just asked her to calm down. The match went on for 45mins and we had only two towers left while they had all inner towers left. Won the game in style with more kills then the enemy.

It's never a 100% lose when you are 30 mins into a game with 15 kills behind but see no skill difference between you and the enemy. Just destroy one inhibitor and it puts them in pressure. Also, Baron.

KEEP ON FIGHTING!
    Quote Originally Posted by Culnar
    Sometimes people act like blizzard is their friend who betrayed them and now they're pissed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulpei View Post
    Actually the backlash from pandas is because alot of the people didn't grow up.

Deleted
    When Evelynn is in your team.

Nah but. I usually don't want to surrender, but sometimes you just know you're gonna lose anyway. I hate playing a full game when you have 2-3 afkers/leavers on your team, or the enemy team is fed to obvlivion.

(also, dat build on your garen XD )

Edit: There are also those surprise games when you turn it around and win, but how often does that happend? Had an extreme case of that a month ago or so, when every one of our turrets were down and only our nexus was left up + 1 inhibitor. We made for a final push with 1 guy defending, so basicly 4v5 we aced enemy team, pushed, aced them again and then won.

But that's like a once in a lifetime thing I guess.
    Last edited by mmoc409bdafe4d; 2012-07-02 at 04:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    When Evelynn is in your team.

Nah but. I usually don't want to surrender, but sometimes you just know you're gonna lose anyway. I hate playing a full game when you have 2-3 afkers/leavers on your team, or the enemy team is fed to obvlivion.

(also, dat build on your garen XD )

Edit: There are also those surprise games when you turn it around and win, but how often does that happend? Had an extreme case of that a month ago or so, when every one of our turrets were down and only our nexus was left up + 1 inhibitor. We made for a final push with 1 guy defending, so basicly 4v5 we aced enemy team, pushed, aced them again and then won.

But that's like a once in a lifetime thing I guess.
    It was a PBE game, where leavers are really common. But damn I'd rather not think about being stuck in a game where it's 3v5 or worse, yet your team still thinks "WE CAN STILL WIN GUYS!"

But yeah thinking about all the times where you got lucky and won because one of the enemies disconnected probably fuels more of the "NEVER SURRENDER" crowd. That tends to happen whenever I play as Xin Zhao, where we win because it's 5v4 due to an enemy disconnecting, although it's technically a 4v4 since Xin Zhao is generally a non-factor past 25 minutes.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2012-07-02 at 05:05 AM.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II