Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would be very surprised if they didn't make the option of having an authenticator available as it has become quite standard.

I would personally use the app version as I usually do as my phone is always with me everywhere I go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't trust using my smartphone for that. Mostly because you never know when you might lose your phone, or break it, or simply replace it. I've known way too many people get fucked because of using the smartphone app for it.

I'd rather have a nifty little keychain version, and then just keep that by my keyboard at all times. Though, I will admit, it's gotten a real pain in the ass to try to read that little LED screen in the dark.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I'd rather have a nifty little keychain version, and then just keep that by my keyboard at all times. Though, I will admit, it's gotten a real pain in the ass to try to read that little LED screen in the dark.
    I'm the same, I'll never understand why they couldn't have put a little backlight on those things, and hell they can do it for a cheap $2.00 digital watch lol!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    I'm the same, I'll never understand why they couldn't have put a little backlight on those things, and hell they can do it for a cheap $2.00 digital watch lol!
    I will twist it around so that it's facing my computer screen, but even then I might mistake a 6 for an 8 or something.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I will twist it around so that it's facing my computer screen, but even then I might mistake a 6 for an 8 or something.
    Use your phone to act as a light to read the dongle.

I personally prefer the dongle, because you never know what's going to happen to your phone. I've had mine for 3 years, and I've had 3 phones in that time (and plan to get a new one in the near future).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account
    Done that more than once, but on the up side, I have never lost my keys so it’s a safe bet I will always be able to log in! I purchased one during a brief period when I played WoW because I got hacked while visiting family out of country. I am super careful about pins etc. and use the usual precautions, in fact the only thing I had done differently was to register to a warlock site. I’m not saying that was the cause but it was the only variable in the months I had played prior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I don't have keys to anything as I don't have a car right now, but I can agree I've never lost keys before. Somehow, phones are easier to lose.

Maybe it's because we actually take phones out of our pockets fairly often, even when we don't need to...

I know I kept my wow key-chain on a long string attached to the base of my monitor. You NEVER misplace a monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Binaris View Post
    I know I kept my wow key-chain on a long string attached to the base of my monitor. You NEVER misplace a monitor.
    You also can't easily take a monitor with you

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    I personally feel that the authenticator method is... downright brilliant. One of Blizzard's better ideas - they may not be the originator of the authenticator concept, but they did bring it to online gaming.
    Yah, this. Hopefully they'll bring out an iPhone app too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved authenticators made me feel water tight, i prefer it on my phone though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    water tight, i prefer it on my phone though.
    thats funny b/c your preferred method isnt watertight
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    I have one on my Battle net account and ill purchase one for Anet account/GW2 if they make that available. Can never be too safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    its for batery life reasons. those dongles are only good for so many thousand times of displaying a code. adding a backlight takes a bit more power per press than just displaying the code. If they are weighing the option of haveing a dongle with 10k times of displaying a code vs a backlit one that only can last for 5k they are probably going to go with the 10k option. The longer the thing lasts the longer they can go without their customers haveing to call up tech suport to fix their account because the $5 authenticator ran out of juice.

Who is John Galt?

I personally feel that the authenticator method is... downright brilliant. One of Blizzard's better ideas - they may not be the originator of the authenticator concept, but they did bring it to online gaming.
    it was profitable, 70% of the cost of the blizz authenticators goes into their big, fat bank account. they're the cheapest authenticators you can get and cost blizz less than $1 each

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    it was profitable, 70% of the cost of the blizz authenticators goes into their big, fat bank account. they're the cheapest authenticators you can get and cost blizz less than $1 each
    Bad troll. Begone.

Please post productively. Simply calling another a troll adds nothing to the conversation and only serves to potentially derail it. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-07-13 at 04:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Err... no, that's not true. O_o

http://www.vasco.com/products/client..._digipass.aspx

There is one cheaper option. The only real difference between the GO6 and the GO7 is, well.. that the latter is more sturdy and shaped more square. I don't really see a point to getting the more expensive option. At least they made sure the one we get is waterproof.

Dunno how much it costs Blizz to get these, but if they were going for profit over security, they'd have charged us $10 each for it, rather than... what was it, $3? $4? I imagine they're charging us the exact price they're charged - it's like the cost of a cheap grocery store toy for little toddlers, while still being more high-tech on Vasco's end.
    Sure, it's fair to say "Why not give them for free?!" but the key thing is that this is a security option for users, and Blizzard happens to be a business, so they have to charge a little to make this a cost-effective option.

If it were a requirement, then they'd provide them for free with a purchase of the game... not counting the increased account cost.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-13 at 04:42 AM.

Im all in favor of a good ol' Blizzbash, but it has to be based on something. They offered the same authenticator feature for a wide variaty of smart phones, absolutely free. While they did host the service on their websites, which even cost them money.

Nope, i see no reason to bash Blizzard for their authenticators. They motivate people to get them as much as they can, and they charge minimal fee for the keychains, and even take a loss for the phone apps. Thats something theyve handled very well.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard didn't only introduce the authenticators for such a low cost because they wanted the players to be safer from hacking attempts, but also because the countless amount of support tickets because of hacked accounts did cost them a lot of time and money.
    In the end, they definitely had a monetary gain because of the Authenticators (which is perfectly fine with me).

No. Get another chain linked to the first chain.

Keychains were the original inception.
    Keyception?