Smile Ivy Bridge Gaming vs Sandy Bridge Gaming

I need some feedback from you guys. I'm building a new system within the next 3 days and I'm having difficulties deciding on which one of two to go with. The first is a Sandy Bridge unit with the following core components:

• Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB(4x2) 1600Mhz
    • SSD(s): Corsair Force 3 Series 240 GB, and Kingston Hyper X 128GB (might be changed depending on stock availability).
    • GPU: nvidia GTX 670 (either ASUS or Gigabyte as a brand).

The second, built based on the Ivy Bridge is essentially the same with just differing Motherboard and Processor:

• Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    • Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K
    • RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB(4x2) 1600Mhz
    • SSD(s): Corsair Force 3 Series 240 GB, and Kingston Hyper X 128GB
    • GPU: nvidia GTX 670 (probably picking either ASUS or Gigabyte as a brand).

Regarding my budget; I'm willing to drop up to 2200$ on the new rig. I recognize that the Intel 4000 video is pointless with the GTX 670, but which build is going to give me better performance since I'm willing to Overclock the CPU to roughly 4.5Ghz? The games are only World of Warcraft; MoP, D3, Guildwars 2 etc. I don't really want to have any hard discs. I would love to have nothing but SSDs when it comes to storage.

I can obviously be swayed or I wouldn't be asking here. Which of the two CPU's do you think would be the better build? Any suggestions on improving the individual components would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Get an Asus P8Z77-V LK motherboard and an i5 3570K.

The LK board supports SLI should you want to add another 670 to the computer. It is also 100 dollars less than the Sabertooth.

I'd go for Crucial M4 or Samsung 830 SSDs, they don't use Sandforce controllers iirc.

If you don't plan on rendering many hours of footage per day, or streaming HD gaming footage, you don't need the Hyperthreading that the i7 has, so you can save yourself 120 bucks by getting the i5.

Ivy Bridge has higher IPC which means it is faster at the same clockspeed compared to a Sandy Bridge.
    4.5GHz should be possible with both CPUs without much trouble, it is once you pass that you will have to increase voltage and Ivy Bridge goes in to the zone of heat problems.
    My personal pick would be the 3770k out of those 2, but are you sure you need an i7 or would an i5 be enough?

sandy-bridge is only better if u are gonna use x79 platform with six cores

Thanks for the responses, guys. Actually I forgot to mention that I'll probably make a ton of video rendering for my work in the next few weeks, so that was the reason I chose the 3770K over the 3570K. Also, I just came from the store to check the parts I need, and bought them as well! I couldn't wait to not have these awesome parts, so right now here's the full specs of the PC, and please let me know what you think!

• RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16GB (8x2) 1600 Mhz
    • GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 Windforce Version
    • Cooler: Corsair H100
    • PSU: Corsair HX 850W
    • Chassis: Corsair 600T White Edition
    • SSD(s): Kingston SSDNow V+200 240GB, 2x Intel 330 180GB

Would've really loved to get the Vengeance RAMs to match the Sabertooth's color scheme, but unfortunately they were out of stock around here, and I honestly didn't want go out of the store with empty hands so I had to pick the Hyper X. Expect to see a few pictures of it really soon.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

That a nice computer you got yourself, not sure if I agree with your choices of SSD but except for that it is top-notch. Massive overkill on the PSU as well but it's nothing that really hurts.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Thanks for the responses, guys. Actually I forgot to mention that I'll probably make a ton of video rendering for my work in the next few weeks, so that was the reason I chose the 3770K over the 3570K. Also, I just came from the store to check the parts I need, and bought them as well! I couldn't wait to not have these awesome parts, so right now here's the full specs of the PC, and please let me know what you think!

• RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16GB (8x2) 1600 Mhz
    • GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 670 Windforce Version
    • Cooler: Corsair H100
    • PSU: Corsair HX 850W
    • Chassis: Corsair 600T White Edition
    • SSD(s): Kingston SSDNow V+200 240GB, 2x Intel 330 180GB

Would've really loved to get the Vengeance RAMs to match the Sabertooth's color scheme, but unfortunately they were out of stock around here, and I honestly didn't want go out of the store with empty hands so I had to pick the Hyper X. Expect to see a few pictures of it really soon.
    Going to burst your happy-bubble a bit, sorry

CPU: Are you only going to do video rendering for a few weeks, or all the time? If only for a few weeks, you would still have been better off with the i5 3570K.
    MoBo: I can understand the motherboard choice, i would buy it myself but only for looks.
    RAM: Brand im not too sure about, personally i would say either G.Skill, Muschkin (spelling?) or Corsair, but as you said, you couldnt get the Vengeance ones.
    GPU: Nice choice, i kinda like Gigabytes cooler, and their cards are often slightly cheaper, depending on store ofc.
    Cooler: Only thing i can comment on here, is to highly recommend buying another set of fans. Stock fans sounds terrible when they start to spin up.
    PSU: Overkill to be honest. Would have been enough with 550-650W and still be fine for some overclocking.
    Chassi: *thumbs up* Using that one myself, and i love it Suits really nice with the H100 due to easy mounting of 4 fans (depending on RAM-placement on the motherboard)
    SSD: I think you would have been better of picking a Crucial m4 or Samsung 830. SandForce have had so many issues, and some still exists, both the Intel 330 and Kingston one are running SandForce.