I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account

No server transfer?

When I started SWTOR during early access I was on the Krath (west coast) server. It was one of the lower queue times but still had a queue every afternoon/evening for the first week but the population seemed to drop pretty quickly after that. I think I hung around longer than most on that server before getting groups and getting into pvp became too much of a hassle.

I ended up re-rolling onto Fatman before deciding to unsub and wait for the features I wanted from the game. I get the 7 day trial email and go to test it out only to find that Fatman is locked and I can't figure out how to transfer any of my toons on Krath to another server. Krath had two people on fleet during prime time so I think finding any kind of group for just about anything would be difficult.

I really don't want to start from scratch (yet again) and spend the free time doing the same content I've already done twice before...

Is there a button I'm just not seeing?

Click your username (top right) and select "My Account"

Click on Character Transfer on the menu to on the left

Scroll down and you'll note that Krath can transfer to The Harbinger.

You SHOULD be able to do this with no problem even without being subbed (I know that during the start of the process 'unsubbed' people were able to transfer)

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, thanks...transfers in progress...for some reason I thought it was all done in game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    Ah, thanks...transfers in progress...for some reason I thought it was all done in game.
    When I did my character transfer, it did not tell me it was finished even after it finished. I tried to log in after 20sec of doing the transfer and it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by HBpapa View Post
    No, they have to make it as hard on you the player as possible. I mean hell, even though they are gonna close all origin servers and force move people to the destination servers in the the end, you have to go do it yourself. Even though what they are doing is mergers, just a different way, they are dragging it out and making the player do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    No, they have to make it as hard on you the player as possible. I mean hell, even though they are gonna close all origin servers and force move people to the destination servers in the the end, you have to go do it yourself. Even though what they are doing is mergers, just a different way, they are dragging it out and making the player do the work.

We are really going to call a 5 second process "work"?

Also, you could just wait and let them do it for you. That is an option. Not a good one, but it is an option.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    We are really going to call a 5 second process "work"?

Also, you could just wait and let them do it for you. That is an option. Not a good one, but it is an option.
    Took me a little longer than 5 seconds to transfer all 8 of my chars. Hell, it took about 5 seconds for it to load the available chars each time. Compared to Rifts transfer process, yes, it is work. In rift, I can move a char from the char select screen in about 5 seconds total. The point is that if in the end they are going to move everyone anyway, why make me do anything?

Took me a little longer than 5 seconds to transfer all 8 of my chars. Hell, it took about 5 seconds for it to load the available chars each time. Compared to Rifts transfer process, yes, it is work. In rift, I can move a char from the char select screen in about 5 seconds total. The point is that if in the end they are going to move everyone anyway, why make me do anything?
    If you would stop hating and think for a minute the answer would be pretty obvious.

By having transfers be open to subscribers only for a month, subscribers would have a higher chance of retaining their character names and legacy name.

Its to reward players who have stuck it out.

Also, you are going to complain about a 30 second or so difference? That's really something.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-07-13 at 02:14 PM.

If you would stop hating and think for a minute the answer would be pretty obvious.

By having transfers be open to subscribers only for several months, subscribers would have a higher chance of retaining their character names and legacy name.

Its to reward players who have stuck it out.

Also, you are going to complain about a 30 second or so difference? That's really something.
    and exactly how do you have a higher chance of retaining your char and legacy name? If someone on the destination server has it, that's it, they have it. If anything, by not doing it all at once at the start, and dragging it out over time, there is more of chance someone will create a char with your name/legacy name on the destination server.

In the end, it was just a dumb way of doing it. The end result is mergers, just do mergers. Why spend any more time and resource on it, to develop a web tool, put in promotions to encourage people to transfer, make it take much longer than it should? It just doesn't make any logical sense to drag it out this way.

and exactly how do you have a higher chance of retaining your char and legacy name? If someone on the destination server has it, that's it, they have it. If anything, by not doing it all at once at the start, and dragging it out over time, there is more of chance someone will create a char with your name/legacy name on the destination server.

In the end, it was just a dumb way of doing it. The end result is mergers, just do mergers. Why spend any more time and resource on it, to develop a web tool, put in promotions to encourage people to transfer, make it take much longer than it should? It just doesn't make any logical sense to drag it out this way.
    While I agree its best to just do "it"...

Let me explain the name/legacy name thing.

So, when bioware announced the mergers people were curious as to how the legacy names and character names would work out.

Bioware knew that if they moved everyone at once they would have to randomly assign who would keep their name in the following scenario.

On the destination server there was no one named obi'steve.

On 4 of the origin servers there were people named obi'steve.

Bioware would have randomly assigned the name between the obi'steves.

Lets say that two of the obi'steves were no longer subscribers, one was a casual, and the other really wanted to keep his name or he would quit.

If the merger system was instant, there would have been an 50% chance it would have gone to someone who wasn't ever going to use it again, a 25% chance to someone who didn't care, and a 25% chance to the person who needs it.

By allowing a month of transfers the situation would have played out like this.

The guy who really cares follows the transfer service development closely and transfers the second it is up for his server. He gets the name.
    Or casual guys server gets to move first and he gets the name. Or casual guy doesn't figure out the transfer service until half his server has moved and he doesn't get the name. The two unsubscribes do not get the name.

Also, by allowing subscribers to transfer a month before level 15 F2P happens, you have the subscribers competing with a handful of obi'steves, not 50 people "trying" the game out and making characters named obi'steve.

Simply put, there was less competition for names the way they did it.

My question is, why would you come to this site for that info? Instead of coming to a WoW site and waiting for someone to be nice enough to type out the info for you, you could have gone to the official site for the game and found the info yourself in half the time.

While I agree its best to just do "it"...

Let me explain the name/legacy name thing.

So, when bioware announced the mergers people were curious as to how the legacy names and character names would work out.

Bioware knew that if they moved everyone at once they would have to randomly assign who would keep their name in the following scenario.

On the destination server there was no one named obi'steve.

On 4 of the origin servers there were people named obi'steve.

Bioware would have randomly assigned the name between the obi'steves.

Lets say that two of the obi'steves were no longer subscribers, one was a casual, and the other really wanted to keep his name or he would quit.

If the merger system was instant, there would have been an 50% chance it would have gone to someone who wasn't ever going to use it again, a 25% chance to someone who didn't care, and a 25% chance to the person who needs it.

By allowing a month of transfers the situation would have played out like this.

The guy who really cares follows the transfer service development closely and transfers the second it is up for his server. He gets the name.
    Or casual guys server gets to move first and he gets the name. Or casual guy doesn't figure out the transfer service until half his server has moved and he doesn't get the name. The two unsubscribes do not get the name.

Also, by allowing subscribers to transfer a month before level 15 F2P happens, you have the subscribers competing with a handful of obi'steves, not 50 people "trying" the game out and making characters named obi'steve.

Simply put, there was less competition for names the way they did it.
    Simpler solution, do not assign the name, or "complete" the transfer until log-in. The first one to log in, it checks, see the name isn't there yet, he keeps his name. Second one to log-in, goes to log in, it goes to "complete" the transfer, sees the name is already taken and makes him change his name, at log-in. You know, the way other games with char transfers do it. It's done quicker, the more active players keep names, it's not drug out over months and is done.

You earlier told me to quit hating, you need to quit blindly following and accepting a shitty system.

You earlier told me to quit hating, you need to quit blindly following and accepting a shitty system.
    And you need to do some reading before mouthing off.

You have even posted in a thread where I made it very clear how I feel about the way they handled mergers. Maybe you can find it.

Who "mouthed-off" first?

What you said in another thread has no bearing on the fact that you are sitting here defending the system with one argument that doesn't even make sense.

Who "mouthed-off" first?

What you said in another thread has no bearing on the fact that you are sitting here defending the system with one argument that doesn't even make sense.
    Just because I think the system is wrong doesn't mean I don't appreciate their concerns and reasons like you.

The point is that if in the end they are going to move everyone anyway, why make me do anything?

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think it is safe to say that this thread has run its course.
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-07-13 at 05:28 PM.