Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    dc universe online
    Photo Website: http://www.jeremynative.com Please check out

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Compared to other MMOs at the time. Vanilla WoW was very much casual mmo. Reduced grinding requirements, crafting cant fail, you "only" needed 40 people, instead of 72, you can solo up to 60 (other MMOs required WAY more grinding to level AND needed to do it in groups)

So yeah, WoW was never hardcore.
    well as far as leveling and crafting was concerned, yeah it was a lot more casual, but end game content back then was really fucking good, you cant rule that out.

Runescape.

The entire game is a grind. You grind so you can grind some more. Grind your combat for weeks so you can grind some dragonhides for money to grind a crafting skill which you can then use to grind alchemy, and in turn acquire even more money through grinding.

It's glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by grisset View Post
    Try Aion. I played the first month and holy crap, that was way worse than Vanilla WoW for grind...
    It's changed a LOT. It's far better than it once was, and definately feels a bit like vanilla WoW or maybe BC WoW now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragedaug View Post
    Every one of my EQ buddies got a good laugh out of this. EQ players made fun of WoW for catering to casuals & carebears (just like WoW players do now) when WoW was in beta.
    EQ is maddening. My gf plays it still, and it just crawls for progression

Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    dc universe online
    LOL, not even close. Hell, current WoW is more of a grind...

Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    well as far as leveling and crafting was concerned, yeah it was a lot more casual, but end game content back then was really fucking good, you cant rule that out.
    Too bad the quality of the content is completely irrelevant to how much grind it takes to do it.

I seriously have no idea what "really fucking good" has anything to do with how hardcore vanilla WoW was.

yeah runescape. you can play for 6 years and not be close to max. was a great game and they are re making the combat system soon and it might improve alot

Aion is super duper grindy and is now F2P. Enjoy!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Runescape.

The entire game is a grind. You grind so you can grind some more. Grind your combat for weeks so you can grind some dragonhides for money to grind a crafting skill which you can then use to grind alchemy, and in turn acquire even more money through grinding.

It's glorious.
    Yep, I agree with you. The entire game of Runescape revolves around grinding. I know some people that I have been played the game actively since 2005 and they are still not close to having all maxed skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    Too bad the quality of the content is completely irrelevant to how much grind it takes to do it.

I seriously have no idea what "really fucking good" has anything to do with how hardcore vanilla WoW was.
    woah woah woah, idle down there chainsaw, you're getting a little worked up, yeah there was no grind in the old content, just saying that the content was really fucking good.

geeze louise batman.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't believe only two people have mentioned Rift, which I think is probably what the OP is looking for. He didn't say he was looking for ab Asian MMO. Rift reminds me of a slightly more accessible BC era WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolitar View Post
    Aion is super duper grindy and is now F2P. Enjoy!
    yeah aion is actually not half bad, i tried it out about a month ago, you can level by quest till lvl 30? then it turns into an uber, find group, kill mobs over and over and over level fest. just like how ffxi used to be.

and yes f2p makes things a lot nicer.

10+ Year Old Account
    woah woah woah, idle down there chainsaw, you're getting a little worked up, yeah there was no grind in the old content, just saying that the content was really fucking good.

geeze louise batman.
    The point is that the quality of the content is irrelevant in this conversation because topic is about how much of a grind it is. Additionally, they weren't disputing the quality of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    The point is that the quality of the content is irrelevant in this conversation because topic is about how much of a grind it is. Additionally, they weren't disputing the quality of it.
    its called conversation. ever heard of it? everything in conversation doesnt *need* to be on topic. anyways....

let it go sport. let it go.

wow has always been the entry level MMO

today's gamers don't want to fail so games are built to accommodate them

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know runescape was still around. My friends were playing that in middle school well I was playing FFXI. I tried it a few times and was totally turned off by everything about it. It made FFXI feel like a casual game. There was literally no challenge it was just kill billions of these things to level your skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    its called conversation. ever heard of it? everything in conversation doesnt *need* to be on topic. anyways....

let it go sport. let it go.
    I was pointing out that what you said wasn't pertinent to the conversation. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I was pointing out that what you said wasn't pertinent to the conversation. I'm sorry if I offended you.
    me? get offended? no, not really.

my posts quite often come off really assholeish tho, just learn to let some shit i say roll of your shoulders.

stop bickering like high school girls

Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    I didn't know runescape was still around. My friends were playing that in middle school well I was playing FFXI. I tried it a few times and was totally turned off by everything about it. It made FFXI feel like a casual game. There was literally no challenge it was just kill billions of these things to level your skills.
    well that was your problem! you just tried it, but there is plenty of things to do. i played it for 6 years and i never didn't have something to do. i mean you have 25 skills to level that will help you out in many different ways. plenty of quest, ALOT of mini games and god bosses. not to mention plenty of pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    Compared to other MMOs at the time. Vanilla WoW was very much casual mmo. Reduced grinding requirements, crafting cant fail, you "only" needed 40 people, instead of 72, you can solo up to 60 (other MMOs required WAY more grinding to level AND needed to do it in groups)

So yeah, WoW was never hardcore.
    Relative to other MMOs WoW is not particularly hardcore. But by its own standards, relative to today's game, vanilla WoW was a hardcore grinding game.