Computer won't accept third screen (2 Monitors, 1 TV)

Hello everyone,

I present to you a question regarding my XFX Radeon HD 6870 Double Dissipation video card.
    By some standards this card might be outdated, but I chose it carefully because money is tight and I wanted something to last a while.

That said, I appear to be having some connectivity issues with it.
    I have two monitors on my desk connected to the cards DVI slots, and in the past have been unplugging the cables and plugging my screen in each time I wanted to switch from gaming to watching movies.
    However, it was advertised that this card can hold up to six screens, so I decided to get a longer HDMI cable and connect my TV to it whilst having my monitors too.
    But although it connects, it doesn't appear to support a third screen, or my tv even as second screen through DVI unless both other cables are disconnected.

What am I missing here?

"To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used)."

http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/...y-dongles.aspx

So I need a HDMI to DVI converter... but I don't understand what the usb cable is powering :S

Deleted
    You need something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814998050 or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814998051, depending on your card to get more than 2 monitors working.

I can confirm these work (running 4 monitors on a 6870) and they don't take up a usb slot.

Quote Originally Posted by aftermidnight View Post
    So I need a HDMI to DVI converter... but I don't understand what the usb cable is powering :S
    No, not HDMI to DVI. You need to use the Displayports.

Then what is the HDMI port good for If i might be so bold?

You can use the HDMI port if you want you just need to have a Display port plugged in for it to accept 3 monitors. I have a 5870 running an HDMI to a 27 inch monitor and then the DP adaptor->DVI running one 24 and a DVI to another 24. They have active DP-DVI that dont require a usb port Im using one right now thats made by power color that I got for 20ish bucks a few years ago when Eyefinity was this new cool thing when only dell sold the one connector for like 110 bucks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by aftermidnight View Post
    Then what is the HDMI port good for If i might be so bold?
    The HDMI port is linked to one of the two DVI ports, so you essentially have only 2 monitor ports usable, not counting the DisplayPorts.
    i5 2500K | MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz

Alright, this makes somewhat sense to me; I need a DisplayPort to DVI plug then!
    Thanks