Thread: N64 top 10

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Golden eye x 10 for me !
    And a little Zelda.

Quote Originally Posted by TheViper View Post
    Actually yes you would be. To even suggest it sounds like insanity to me, you should have yourself checked? Castlevania64 is a pretty good game though ill give you that, dont think its top5 though.
    I even thought nightfire was better than goldeneye.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    In that case definatly get yourself a catscan at the very least

Deleted
    Just me or look how many "movie tie-ins" are listed...

Nowadays they're just garbage, back then they were awesome. What happened!? (also I can't believe only like 4 people including myself listed Body Harvest.. You need to get an emulator for it right now!)

---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 05:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    N64 was the last good Nintendo system imo.
    Double post but I have to agree. Gamecube had some decent games (Windwalker and Resident Evil Zero were quality) but they don't have as many genuinely interesting titles anymore and are all about the gimmicks rather than solid gameplay ideas.

Mainstream games in general aren't as fun as they used to be though. We don't get whacky games like Mischief Makers or Starshot that you can replay for years, it's all about realism and making games about War that take you 10 hours to play then don't need to touch again... Which is fine some of the time, I'm really looking forward to Watchdogs and The Last of Us which are quite gritty, but to get a crazy, mindless fun kinda game with a weird artstyle anymore you have to look to indie devs (see: Bastion, Terraria, Trine)

Xbox is definitely the worst system for the above. Playstation still gets some fun Japanese games but again, nowhere near how it used to be.

Props to Valarius for mentioning Mischief Makers. Shake, shake!
    Awye! MAAAARRRRRRIIIIIINAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! First time I ever played it, was when I rented it from a video store (none of those anymore where I live either). My parents were looking for a movie to watch instead of going out and I nagged to rent a game :P I don't think I slept that night and I just had to buy it with the money I'd saved.

There's an innuendo in there somewhere...
    Last edited by mmoc4359933d3d; 2012-07-14 at 04:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Legend of Zelda: Ocerena of Time
    Mario 64
    Banjo Kazooie
    Legend of Zelsa: Majora's Mask
    Golden Eye
    Body Harvest
    Star Fox 64
    Mario Kart 64
    Blast Corps
    Conkers Bad Fur Day
    Mischief Makers

I couldn't choose 10 so I went with 11 :P

To be honest every game Rare made on the N64 was awesome (I had them all except Jet Set Gemini and Mickey's Speedway), they were like the biggest games company in the world according to the great games they made in my eyes, it all went downhill after Microsoft got them to make games for the Xbox though :*(

Quote Originally Posted by Mongler View Post
    You sir..win, just for the sheer fact you listed Ogre Battles 64. That may very well of been the best N64 game no one played.
    lol I actually forgot all about that game. :O
    Last edited by Orby; 2012-07-14 at 04:52 PM.

1. Starfox 64
    2. Super Mario 64
    3. Super Mario Kart 64
    4. Killer Instinct Gold
    5. Ocarina of Time
    6. Diddy Kong Racing
    7. International Superstar Soccer 64
    8. Goldeneye
    9. Waverace 64
    10. Banjo Kazooie

(not in any particular order)
    Last edited by Shinzai; 2012-07-15 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask
    2. Goldeneye/Perfect Dark
    3. Star Fox 64/Star Wars Battle for Naboo
    4. Banjo Kazooie/Tooie
    5. Wave Race 64/Jet Force Gemini
    6. Conkers Bad Fur Day/Donkey Kong 64
    7. Diddy Kong Racing/Mario Kart
    8. Super Smash Bros 64/Pokemon Stadium
    9. Harvest Moon/Castlevania
    10. Duke Nukem/Earthworm Jim

1. Mario Kart 64
    2. NFL Blitz 2000
    3. Mario Tennis
    4. Golden eye 007
    5. Tony Hawk Pro Skater
    6. Vigilante 8
    7. Cruis'n USA
    8. Mario Party
    9. San Francisco Rush 2049
    10. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter

I know, my list is the non nerd list of video games for the 64. If I had bought Zelda or Starfox or any Starwars games my friends would of called me a nerd . To be fair half of my best friends to this day they do not know I play WoW either haha (I am a closet nerd). All these games are two player except for Turok.
    Last edited by Sylarian; 2012-07-14 at 05:26 PM.

In No Particular Order

Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie
    Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Super Mario 64
    The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Perfect Dark
    Ogre Battle 64
    Paper Mario
    Mario Kart/Diddy Kong Racing
    GoldenEye 007
    Spider-Man

1. Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon - Highly underrated game, it's a 3D platforming + Action-adventure hybrid except the camera is automated, however it's still a truly amazing game in all aspects, its very fun, weird and hilarious, looks very good for a N64 game, the soundtracks are awesome, the feudal Japan setting is beautiful. Despite being a pretty big Zelda fan, I put this one slightly above them. If you like the adventure style game like Legend of Zelda, I highly recommend that you play this game.

2. Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask - I prefer MM over OoT simply because of the different ways you could fight. In OoT it always felt very straight forward when fighting an enemy, but MM allows you to play creatively which I really enjoyed.

3. Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time - Nothing needs to be said that hasn't already been said about OoT. Although it's ranked 3rd on my list, 1-3 for me are all nearly equivalent, it really came down to preference.

4. Star Fox 64 - This game out of most of my games has one of the highest replay value. It's such a simple yet very entertaining game and there's alternate paths to complete the game, and it's not a huge game that's drawn out for hours and hours.

5. Conker's Bad Fur Day - To sum this game up: Story mode The game in it's entirety is hilarious and Multiplayer is really fun.

6. Paper Mario - I just love this game, it has a charm to it, the gameplay is fun(despite not being a huge turn-base RPG fan) but Paper Mario does it very well. The badge system was really fun to play around with.

7. Banjo-Tooie - I prefer Tooie over Kazooie only because Tooie is the definition of a perfect sequel. It didn't remove or change anything from Kazooie, instead it improved literally every single aspect from Kazooie.

8. Donkey Kong 64 - For N64 the game looked really nice. Good 3D platforming action with added perks and a choice of different characters to play from.

9. Super Mario 64 - As a huge fan of 3D platforming games, it would be disrespect not to put the grand daddy and pioneer of 3D platformers on this list. It was also the first game I 100% completed.

10. Goemon's Great Adventure - This game is just hard. It goes back to 2D platforming but in a 3D environment. The Co-op in this game however is really fun.

No order

Mario 64
    Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Goldeneye 007
    Perfect Dark
    Pokemon Stadium
    Diddy Kong Racing
    Turok
    Wave Race 64

My memory isn't good enough for the rest but there were a bunch of really awesome other games, I never played Starfox.

It's in no way possible to make a top10 for me. As there are so many games that deserve to be in that top10 :P

10+ Year Old Account
    No particular order:

Mario Cart
    THQ wrestling games
    Goldeneye/Perfect Dark
    Mario 64
    Ocarina of Time
    Wayne Gretzky Hockey

Most time spent playing those games there. Love the multi-player stuff.

Likely the most fun I have ever had in gaming. Internet multi-player is awesome, but still can't beat a room of friends battling on the same TV.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-07-14 at 06:38 PM.
    I like sandwiches

1. Paper Mario.
    2. Paper Mario.
    3. Paper Mario.
    4. Paper Mario.
    5. Paper Mario.
    6. Paper Mario.
    7. Paper Mario.
    8. Paper Mario.
    9. Paper Mario.
    10. Paper Mario.

It's been so long since I really played N64 but here it goes:

1. Ocarina of Time- Spent so much time playing and beating this game, collecting 100% of everything, and just generally having a blast but damn you Water Temple...grrrr
    2. Star Fox 64- Just had tons of fun getting 100% in this. I even used to spend the last 30 minutes or so before the school bus came just to do a playthrough.
    3. Mario 64- My first N64 game and one that I spent countless hours on. I even tried faking sick to stay home from school to play this.
    4. Mario Kart 64- One of my top Mario Karts ever. The family and I used to spend entire evenings battling it out against each other.
    5. Super Smash Bros.- Bought this when it first came out, didn't leave my TV screen for that entire summer. Plus who didn't love the commercial for it?
    6. Pilotwings 64- I love aviation and I love games that have aviation in it. Oh boy did I love this game. I pretty much had a heart attack when I finally received a gold in all events.
    7. Waverace 64- 2nd game I had and one that I loved just playing around with. It was great fun trying out new tricks and attempting to beat my old high score.
    8. Turok- Broke my FPS virginity with this. Loved it, though when I was younger those dinosaurs coming out of nowhere gave me a bit of a scare.
    9. Diddy Kong Racing- Mario Kart but with planes and whatnot. Complete and utter blast.
    10. Blast Corps- This game was fun but frusturated the hell out of me. Though I never did get platinum in everything I still tried my hardest to. Though given the chance to play this again I probably wouldn't. Too many bad memories using that stupid dump truck.

There's others that I enjoyed such as Turok 2 and Banjo & Kazooie, but most of those I only briefly played or didn't invest a whole lot of time into. Funny seeing how many titles slapped a "64" on the end of them. Like the SNES and putting "Super" on the front of all the titles.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    and no 007?
    perfect dark?
    yes yes and the guy you quoted YES .....goldeneye alone changed the fps as we know it for console!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Mario 64 and Mario Party have to be on this list, somewhere.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Hm. My own 0.02$.

1. Ocarina of Time-- the epitome of adventure games to that point in time. Everything that came before in the genre and the series was striving in some from to reach what Nintendo did OoT. And they nailed it almost perfectly.

2. Super Mario 64-- Exactly what Ocarina of Time did but for the platformer. More interesting however, is the fact SM64 is a bit the end for the genre. There was just nowhere left to go in the genre after SM64. In the truest sense of definitive.

3. Goldeneye-- Not the height of the genre as the 2 above. Certainly the only well developed FPS on console at the time. I can only think of the semi-sequel, Perfect Dark as a worthy FPS on console. I believe all successive FPS for console players have been of poor quality, marketed and bought to/by poorer consumers.

4. Perfect Dark-- Kinda same as above. But ya'know, far less important.
    5. Paper Mario-- Neat concept executed extremely well. A testament to gameplay first and above all things.
    6. Pokemon Stadium-- Nostalgic favorite. I have no rationale other than it being Pokemon.

7-10. Whatever.

I'll just do my top 5, cause I honestly don't remember all that much about the other games I played on the N64.

1. Perfect Dark - Until Halo came out, this was the epitome of my gaming life. Along with having a good campaign for single player or coop, I can't begin to imagine how many hours I spent fighting the bots in Combat Simulator. With the bots having different difficulty levels and behavior patterns, it's almost like playing online without the cheating and the griefing. It's amazing to me that after all these years, no new FPS has even come close to competing with Perfect Dark in a bot mode. I still pop this in from time to time on the Xbox Arcade and play the Simulator.

2. Goldeneye - See above, except no Combat Simulator. This game was revolutionary, and Perfect Dark merely improved on it. Both of these games will always hold a special place in my heart, and they're what made the N64 a standout system in my eyes. Definitely the only thing that made it compete with the PS1. Plus, I thought Goldeneye was by far the best 007 movie, so I would've probably liked this even if the gameplay sucked.

3. Ocarina of Time - Definitely the most epic story game on the system. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the above shooters, especially in the long run, but it's a wonderful game regardless, and if I wasn't an FPS nut, this would probably be my top 1. I'd say it's the best Zelda game that I've played besides A Link to the Past on the SNES. However, I thought Majora's Mask was a huge, huge disappointment. Maybe it gets better later on in the game, but I couldn't even finish it.

4. WWF Wrestlemania 2000 - I was very big on wrestling back in the 90s and early 2000s, so all of the THQ wrestling games were awesome to me. But for listing purposes, I just put this one, cause it was my overall favorite. It was the first to have a create a character option, and me and my brothers created ourselves and had several AI only Battle Royales between us that we would spectate and commentate. It was hilarious, and so this game is high on my list. The other THQ games would be right behind it, but I'll leave them off for the purpose of having list variety.

5. Road Rash 64 - There's not much to say about this game except that it's good for laughs, especially with friends. We would drive around the maps looking for good spots to ramp or wreck and get our characters to fly as high or far as we could once we fell off the bike. I was into skateboarding, BMX and the like at this time too, so I got to where I could go off of ramps and do 360 spins and land them perfectly on other slopes. In a game that's not meant for that to begin with, I was pretty proud of my mastery.

Other notable mentions would be Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, and Turok 1/2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, need to clarify that I never have watched or played Goldeneye 007. Really sorry but I can't put it anywhere but from what I'm hearing it needs to be looked into.

---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 01:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    I do remember playing the shit out of Nightfire on the gamecube. Was quite fun.
    Hey everyone