Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I actually don't know a single programmer that uses Mac. O_o
    I do. Now you do. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    I guess I'll add my two cents, but before I'd like to preface it with this. Dell are not the next messiah, nor are they the spawn of Satan. They are a computer company.

I had a lot of people telling me to build my own computer when my laptop crashed. Several people from here, even. But the thing is, I'd rather pay a little more for support and building than do it myself. I don't have the confidence. I'm not a techie person, and I likely never will be.

GW2 are using dell? Okay, that's pretty cool as I've used them for a long, long time. Does it make a difference to me? No, not really.
    I can understand were your coming from but, are you really getting that support. From what I've seen they're more interested in taking your money and support just becomes more of a hassle. I had a friend that needed to threaten legal action to get her PC repaired.

After watching that, I only saw 2 dell laptop and tons of dell monitors. Oh and towards the end there is a macbook.

They should use the best tools for the job, which is certainly a good ol' fashion PC. Personally, i dislike all apple products. But thats mostly because i dislike religions in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I do. Now you do. : )
    I don't know you, or even that you're really a programmer. :P

@Emily's post - I get better support from Newegg for individual parts than I do from Dell for an entire machine. I should also add that pre-built machines very rarely have good parts, quality-wise.

If you're really unfamiliar with building your own machine (which is actually NOT very complicated at all), you can buy all the parts needed and then pay somebody to put it together for you. Or maybe you can go to that somebody first, and ask what parts you should buy to put a good machine together, and have him recommend what parts would be good for your needs/wants.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisWillNotStand View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clyvEMEJE50

Dells, Dells everywhere. No macintosh in sight. Utter props for these intelligent developers. It is clear they are not only pioneers of innovation in our gaming world, but also intelligent people with common sense.
    I was getting sick of hearing that "artists use macintosh because it's better" with all the stupidity that that statement implied.
    You know ... maybe they simply have a deal with DELL.

Anet are of course saviors of gaming. But not just that, but also of the universe, and the multiverse. They also help grannies across the street. I also heard they hate money and would rather work for free.

Let's see what we saw here.

1. LOTS of Dell Monitors
    2. A few Samsung Monitors
    3. Some Dell Laptops

And most of this was on the "developers" desktops. Not at all SHOCKING since this is a PC game. I know I've seen other videos of their creative teams who do indeed have Mac's on their desktops (I work in an ALL Windows/PC environment as well, and our 2 graphics artists both have Macs (it's what they insisted on)). But at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, as was already pointed out, as long as the game get's done, who cares what computer they use on their desk?

As for why they use Dell? They could have just as easily used HP, or any of the other name brands. The reason they do it is simply support. When you're trying to support hundreds of employees, building your own PC's just doesn't make sense.

As for Macs vs PC (and for the record, for the last 6+ years, a Mac is a PC in a shiny silver case), it's really no different than comparing building your own gaming rig vs buying an Alienware, it's a preference thing. I am typing this on a Macbook Pro running Windows 7 (at the moment, also have Mac OS X 10.7 on it), as it let's me get everything I need to accomplish done (build windows phone apps, build iphone apps, build android apps, etc.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post
    As for Macs vs PC (and for the record, for the last 6+ years, a Mac is a PC in a shiny silver case), it's really no different than comparing building your own gaming rig vs buying an Alienware, it's a preference thing. I am typing this on a Macbook Pro running Windows 7 (at the moment, also have Mac OS X 10.7 on it), as it let's me get everything I need to accomplish done (build windows phone apps, build iphone apps, build android apps, etc.)
    It's all about how ridiculously useless Mac DESKTOPS are. No one in his right mind can bash MacBooks, they are great devices.

My not-so-new laptop beats in every way (graphics and processing power) the most expensive iMac(over 2000$) and it cost around 1100$. My PC cost around 1200$ and for the same performance I would have to buy a Mac Pro for around 3000$ and I would still have to buy new graphic card to keep up :P.

To buy a MacBook is wise, to buy an iPad is fun, but to buy iMac or MacPro you have to be VERY bad with numbers or 80 years old ;s.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    I can understand were your coming from but, are you really getting that support. From what I've seen they're more interested in taking your money and support just becomes more of a hassle. I had a friend that needed to threaten legal action to get her PC repaired.
    Well, yeah, I am. When I first got my laptop, there was a problem with the battery, and it was replaced within two days. Everyone can have good and bad support with companies, you can't generalise either way.

And yeah, maybe I could get a better computer for the same price, but it's a hassle. People are saying "oh, Dell only put the pieces together"... well, yeah. They do. And that's what I pay for. Same way I'm paying for a very small PC, rather than having a brick that I can't fit on my desk.

I'd also like to ask people to stop making derogatory comments about people who use a type of PC. It's really uncalled for, and somewhat offensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Well, yeah, I am. When I first got my laptop, there was a problem with the battery, and it was replaced within two days. Everyone can have good and bad support with companies, you can't generalise either way.

And yeah, maybe I could get a better computer for the same price, but it's a hassle. People are saying "oh, Dell only put the pieces together"... well, yeah. They do. And that's what I pay for. Same way I'm paying for a very small PC, rather than having a brick that I can't fit on my desk.

I'd also like to ask people to stop making derogatory comments about people who use a type of PC. It's really uncalled for, and somewhat offensive.
    You're also paying for them to select the parts for you, which may not necessarily turn out in your favor. :P

I still say, buy PC parts from a trusted source (for me, NewEgg, or Fry's, but different people are different), and then go find a business or even a friend/coworker who would put the parts together for a small fee. Pretty easy to get exactly the machine you want when you select it's organs personally!

It would actually turn out to be significantly cheaper, with higher quality.

It's basically what I'm doing for my girl. I'm ordering her a CPU and mobo off NewEgg, and then she's gonna take it to a local computer store to have them install the new parts for her. Would rather buy her a whole new machine, but this is cheaper.

Hell, in a way, I already did buy a total new machine for her, piece by piece. I've bought her RAM, HDD, and soon CPU and mobo.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-14 at 04:03 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

this is my Monitor

http://www.hazro.co.uk/HZ27WD.php

no DELL even gets close to this

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't get how people can bash the Mac for being "overpriced garbage", when in reality Dells are pretty much the same thing, overpriced prebuilts; hell, their Alienware line is arguably even worse than Apple's Mac when it comes to value.
    But honestly, it doesn't really matter what they use, buying computers in bulk for a company tends to be quite a bit cheaper than buying them as a consumer (i.e. us), and getting a ton of PCs custom built is just out of the question.

That said, they probably have a few custom systems for their 3D artists and such who need the extra power.
    RIP Gunther, he wanted orange, the world gave him lemon-lime.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    You're generally paying a LOT of money and getting inferior parts compared to putting it together on your own - a process which takes about 10 minutes for a simple box and which you quite literally cannot mess up, seeing as how every single part fits into it's own slot and no other. I honestly can't think of any way that you could screw up building your own box nowadays, short of dropping a part on the floor or dumping a drink onto the motherboard.
    Well, people get afraid of things they don't understand, but you'd be surprised at how people can mess up a computer. Wiser to have them go to a techie friend with the parts and have somebody else put it together, if they're not comfortable with it. And if you're not familiar with what parts you need, that techie friend could even help you with the selection.

In general, you can probably google online what to do and how, but I prefer teaching people hands-on.

I'm in Europe so, I've used New Egg or were every you go to buy. Do they have a service were they will build it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by neuk View Post
    I'm in Europe so, I've used New Egg or were every you go to buy. Do they have a service were they will build it for you?
    overclockers.co.uk does that if u want, they also offer OC'ed packages.

If u want something that is not on their site u can ring them and they arrange what you really want

Quote Originally Posted by EdisonTrent View Post
    I don't get how people can bash the Mac for being "overpriced garbage", when in reality Dells are pretty much the same thing, overpriced prebuilts; hell, their Alienware line is arguably even worse than Apple's Mac when it comes to value.
    You'll get no argument from me.

---------- Post added 2012-07-14 at 05:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    overclockers.co.uk does that if u want, they also offer OC'ed packages.

If u want something that is not on their site u can ring them and they arrange what you really want
    Yeah I know, I don't need it but I was just curious if they do this in the US at New Egg.
    Last edited by neuk; 2012-07-14 at 04:18 PM.

Deleted
    I think DELL is one of the worst PC companies out there. Can only upgrade your computer with DELL stuff. Pretty bad. Never again for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Silza View Post
    I think DELL is one of the worst PC companies out there. Can only upgrade your computer with DELL stuff. Pretty bad. Never again for me.
    I'm not sure what system you bought (or when you bought it) but this hasn't really been true for at least a few years. I've had no trouble upgrading pretty much everything (only thing I haven't tried upgrading on a Dell is the Mobo) Heck, on my new system I upgraded the Ram, Hd and graphics card just after I bought it - simply because being what Dell considers a 'valued' customer gave a coupon for an additional 40% off any system - $600 for an i7 2600 including 24" monitor was too good a deal for a lazy person like me !

Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    It's all about how ridiculously useless Mac DESKTOPS are. No one in his right mind can bash MacBooks, they are great devices.

My not-so-new laptop beats in every way (graphics and processing power) the most expensive iMac(over 2000$) and it cost around 1100$. My PC cost around 1200$ and for the same performance I would have to buy a Mac Pro for around 3000$ and I would still have to buy new graphic card to keep up :P.

To buy a MacBook is wise, to buy an iPad is fun, but to buy iMac or MacPro you have to be VERY bad with numbers or 80 years old ;s.
    I totally get what you're saying on the iMac's, I would never own one (all in ones are just a terrible terrible idea). I have several Mac Pro's here however (2008's and 2009's), and unfortunately you can't compare them to a Desktop, as comparing Desktop CPU's to Server Class CPU's is kind of silly. Of course, unless you're doing some very specific tasks where a XEON is better, it's extreme overkill for the average consumer (I would NOT consider myself the average consumer). But I always find it amusing when people compare a Mac Pro to a Desktop class machine, when in reality you need to be comparing it to a "Workstation" class computer, and when you do you'll quickly find out that Apple is actually very competitive when you compare oranges to oranges (using apples to apples didn't seem to fit).

Quote Originally Posted by zaphon View Post
    Apple is actually very competitive when you compare oranges to oranges (using apples to apples didn't seem to fit).
    I totally see what you did there.