15+ Year Old Account

CPU high temperatures.

I've re-installed the Corsair H60 and removed all old thermal paste. However I'm still getting high temperatures.. I think..

I've got this screenshot:

http://postimage.org/image/7lv3isobn/

Can anyone please help me? And, tell me what the picture above tells me?

How do I know the water-cooler is working - does it make any noises etc - ?

Thanks

Wut... That 88°C is just wrong I think... You should be looking a bit lower, at "CPU Core #1" til 4.

Run Prime95 and post the temps you're getting. 35°C Idle is perfectly normal. Kinda strange that all cores are exactly thesame temperature tho Oo that is rare...

And normally at "fans" it should say CPUFANIN. Did you plug the H60 into the CPUFAN1 plug on your motherboard?

Your temps are perfectly fine.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    download realtemp and see what you get for numbers, that looks like an error with hwmonitor

I guess the 88°C reading is an error and 36°C idle is good

Try different software such as CPUTemp

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at core temperatures below mid of picture. Other readings are uninteresting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Look at core temperatures below mid of picture. Other readings are uninteresting.
    Yep, those are the temperatures that count.

OP, it's important to note that the temperature sensing diodes and the software that they use tend to be rather unreliable at best. Run your system under normal circumstances for awhile (play a game for an hour or two!), then immediately open up your case and feel the heatsink with your finger. It should be quite warm. Warm is good, as that means that heat has been transferred away from the CPU. It should not be blistering hot, however. Just rather warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    Yep, those are the temperatures that count.

OP, it's important to note that the temperature sensing diodes and the software that they use tend to be rather unreliable at best. Run your system under normal circumstances for awhile (play a game for an hour or two!), then immediately open up your case and feel the heatsink with your finger. It should be quite warm. Warm is good, as that means that heat has been transferred away from the CPU. It should not be blistering hot, however. Just rather warm.
    I sense scalding and blisters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irloki View Post
    I sense scalding and blisters.
    Agreed, that is a bad idea, 80c will burn flesh, and is enough to cook a steak with

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    Agreed, that is a bad idea, 80c will burn flesh, and is enough to cook a steak with
    The middle of a steak that is cooked perfectly (i.e. bloody rare, also known as "still moo-ing") is around 45°C

Just hold your hand near the heatsink. If you can feel a decent amount of warmth, like from a mug of coffee, the CPU is running too hot. Don't for the love of god touch the heatsink without earthing yourself either, or you can kill components with a static shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    80c would be the reading on the chip's thermal interface. Since a heatsink is -at least- 10x larger in surface area and mass, that temperature is going to be no where close to 80c. It's perfectly safe to touch it.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    This is what real temp says:

http://postimage.org/image/auieyol7x/

I have the fan plugged into CPU_Fan1
    and the power connection plugged into PWR_Fan

cheers guys

10+ Year Old Account
    for 100% that is still safe, 80C is roughly what people shoot for when overclocking, although, that does seem high for only a 4Ghz overclock, depending on the voltage being used, you may be able to clock higher, but it could also be the limitation of the H60

Deleted
    Could be just me. But shouldnt the power connection be plugged into your PSU (I just use air).

But did you also fit it with new cooling paste?

My guess is that the sensor chip has a channel for a second CPU socket that ASUS wired to somewhere else.

Edit: Pretty much confirmed, I ran open hardware monitor on my ASUS P8P67-M and I also have a wildly fluctuation second CPU temp reading, it is constantly fluctuating between 50-90 degrees so I would assume it's just an erronous reading.
    Last edited by Nitrax; 2012-07-15 at 11:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You did put new TIM on before you reinstalled the H60 right?

80c isn't very good with a closed loop liquid cooler air maybe.
    If you did put new TIM on the CPU before you installed the H60 you may not have enough or you could have too much.
    Both will cause problems, have to get it just right.

Are you 100% sure the pump is running?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FearXI View Post
    You did put new TIM on before you reinstalled the H60 right?

80c isn't very good with a closed loop liquid cooler air maybe.
    If you did put new TIM on the CPU before you installed the H60 you may not have enough or you could have too much.
    Both will cause problems, have to get it just right.

Are you 100% sure the pump is running?

I've got no idea whether the pump is running ; I wouldn't know what to look for to be honest. Also, I don't know what a TIM is?

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrax View Post
    My guess is that the sensor chip has a channel for a second CPU socket that ASUS wired to somewhere else.

Edit: Pretty much confirmed, I ran open hardware monitor on my ASUS P8P67-M and I also have a wildly fluctuation second CPU temp reading, it is constantly fluctuating between 50-90 degrees so I would assume it's just an erronous reading.
    I've got an Asus MB too : P8z68-v LX .

TIM = thermal paste

10+ Year Old Account
    The part that is attached to your CPU is the pump.
    Feel or listen closely to it. Touch your PC case the metal parts before touching it to be safe.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll do that today. Thanks.