Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Music] Your Top 5/10 All-Time Favourite Albums!

Well, MMO-Champs and Chimps, what are your top 5 or 10 albums ever? Those albums that just click with you and you never get tired of, invoke some kind of powerful emotional or intellectual response or maybe you just love every track off cos they're all so damn catchy!

They don't necessarily have to be from your favourite artists. You can list 'Greatest Hits' and Live albums if you want.

So, post your favourite albums here and give the community a little insight into your music tastes. (Feel free to say why they make your Top 5/10 too.)

(No bashing peoples choices, please. Discussion is great, but taste is subjective and some people might simply like stuff you couldn't see yourself liking. Go with it. Diversity is good!)

(Also, thumbnail any album cover images you want to post with http://imgur.com/ or something, please.)

-----

Without further ado, here's mine:

1.) Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge - My Chemical Romance
    2.) Infinity On High - Fall Out Boy
    3.) S&M - Metallica
    4.) Killers - Iron Maiden
    5.) Almost Here - The Academy Is...
    6.) Discovery - Daft Punk
    7.) A Day At The Races - Queen
    8.) Decomposer - The Matches
    9.) 808s & Heartbreak - Kanye West
    10.) Tales Don't Tell Themselves - Funeral For A Friend

(I may have to do an 11-20 later, because I'm greedy like that. And to help boost thread activity!)

Deleted
    1. Nightwish - Oceanborn -- My all time favourite, I cant name even one track I wouldnt like on this album and I luv Tarja's voice :3

2. Turmion Kätilöt - U.S.C.H! -- Best industrial metal album ever!

3. Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes -- Awesome melodeath with some folk and doom influences.

4. Demigod - Slumber of the sullen eyes -- Death metal classic.

5. Blackmore's Night - Under a Violet Moon -- Amazing folk rock album and I find myself listening to them alot when I want to relax and feel chill.

6. Electric Wizard - Witchcult Today -- Doom metal

7. Reverend Bizarre - Crush the Insects -- Doom metal

8. Wintersun - Wintersun -- Melodeath

9. Within Temptation - The Heart of Everything -- Symphonic metal

10. Kalmah - The Black Waltz - Melodeath

Alot of finnish metal, I know, but I grew with it.. :P

EDIT: Updated to 10 albums out of boredom. Albums onwards 5 are not in any particular order
    Last edited by mmoc614b31b9c1; 2012-07-14 at 10:47 PM.

Deleted
    1. The Doors - The Doors
    2. System of a Down - Toxicity
    3. Machine Head - Through the Ashes of Empires
    4. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    5. Serj Tankian - Harakiri
    6. Rammstein - Mutter
    7. Slipknot - Vol. 3: The Subliminal Verses
    8. Scars on Broadway - Scars on Broadway
    9. Fair to Midland - Fables of a Mayfly-What I Tell You Three Times is True
    10. Deuce - Nine Lives

Deleted
    1. Violator - Depeche Mode
    2. Ultra - Depeche Mode
    3. Temps mort - Booba
    4. Almost happy - K's Choice
    5. Post Orgasmic Chill - Skunk Anansie
    6. She wants Revenge - She Wants Revenge
    7. Leila - Courtesy of Choice
    8. Lady Gaga - the fame monster
    9. Lady Gaga - Born this way
    10. Shiina Ringo - Muzai moratorium

Deleted
    Parachutes
    A rush of blood to the head
    X&Y
    Viva la vida
    Mylo Xyloto

Dont know other good albums

All coldplay ofc

10. "Sing The Sorrow" by AFI
    9. "Reckless & Relentless" by Asking Alexandria
    8. "Throne To The Wolves" by From First To Last
    7. "The Crusade" by Trivium
    6. "Symbolic" by Death
    5. "The Blackening" by Machine Head
    4. "Ride The Lightning" by Metallica
    3. "The Discovery" by Born Of Osiris
    2. "Periphery ll : This Time It's Personal" by Periphery
    1. "Nocturnal" by The Black Dahlia Murder

Comments :

#10. This is the 1st REAL album I ever bought, I listened to the crap out of it for years, and I can still enjoy it.
    #9. Haters gonna hate, Asking Alexandria may not be genius, but it is FUN music So fucking FUN that it makes the list!
    #8. FFTL's drummer has always been a f*cking maniac, but this was their last album and him and all the others were at their peak.
    #7.The album that got me into Trivium, and believe it or not, lead to me getting into Metallica. Listened for years. Still enjoy it.
    #6.I might like "Leprosy" a crum more, but Symbolic is progressed far ahead. My 1st Death Album and the best one. Expanded my tastes.
    #5.This thing is a fucking THRASHTERPIECE. End of story.
    #4.Metallica's best album IMO. Fade To Black is their best song. Their thrashiest songs like Trapped Under Ice, also found here.
    #3.Simply brilliant, musically and lyrically. Absolute genius
    #2.This one is new but already made it this far up the list. Periphery are geniuses. Spencer sings LIKE A GOD. Will prob be #1 someday.
    #1.I've probably listened to this 100 times over. Best fucking album ever pretty much. Every single song is a 10/10. Melodeath Masterpiece.
    Last edited by WaitingforMoP; 2012-07-17 at 10:58 AM.

Deleted
    Some interesting albums listed so far. I need to listen to some more Scandinavian Metal, but I wouldn't know where to start. I suppose I could work through your list Kanani.

Also, Viva La Vida <3 That album is definitely somewhere on my 11-20 list.

Deleted
    Don't really have any all-time favourites really, my tastes change rapidly. But I'll try... (not in any particular order)

Misery Signals - Of Malice And The Magnum Heart [Metalcore] (Probably among the best metalcore albums ever made, this shit is emotional)

Dark Angel - Darkness Descends [Thrash Metal] (What do you get when you combine the ferocity and morbidity of Reign in Blood with the atmosphere and progressive tendencies of Hell Awaits? Oh, yeah, awesomeness squared)

Insomnium - In The Halls Of Awaiting [Melodic "Death" Metal] (Finnish melancholy, better than the vast majority of the copycats, the so-called "finnish sound" and also as the first album, criminally underrated)

Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along The Highway [Post-Metal] (My currently favourite post-metal album, pretty intense and emotional stuff)

Pelican - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw [Post-Metal] (A lighter type of post-metal, this time without vocals, crescendos included)

Circle Takes The Square - As The Roots Undo [Screamo/Post-Hardcore] (Has an insanely good atmosphere)

Saetia - A Retrospective [Screamo/Post-Hardcore] (A compilation album containing this band's all songs. Too long for this type of music but still damn awesome)

Mar De Grises - Draining The Waterheart [Post-Doom Metal] (How to create compelling atmospheres of profound melancholy part 3)

Alcest - Le Secret [Post-Black Metal/Blackgaze] (Uplifting shit)

Veil Of Maya - [id] [Technical/Progressive Deathcore] (Could have chosen Eclipse too as they are quite similiar in style and quality. Good stuff with nice technical riffs and odd-meter breakdowns)

I am quite sure if I had to make that list yesterday or tomorrow I'd have chosen different albums ^.^

Field Marshal ElexionExonusAvalon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    slipknot - All hope is gone
    korn - The path of totality
    soilwork - Stabbing the drama
    five finger death punch - war is the answer
    36 crazyfists - the tide and its takers
    pendulum - Immersion
    nero - Welcome Reality
    deadmau5 - 4+4=12

Deleted
    Setbacks - ScHoolboy Q

THE PRESTIGE: Jam Boy Magic - Money Making Jam Boys (Black Thought, Truck North, STS, Dice RAW and Greg P.O.R.N.)

Rising Down - The Roots

Quiet Giant - Twilite

The Low End Theory - A Tribe Called Quest

Straight, No Chaser - Reks

Fornever - Murs & 9th Wonder

Lupe Fiasco's The Cool - Lupe Fiasco

W.A.R. (We Are Renegades) - Pharoahe Monch

Longterm Mentality - Ab-Soul

BONUS: Skelethon - Aesop Rock
    It's new but it's one of the best albums I've heard in a while.

1. Theatre of Tragedy - Aegis
    2. Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens
    3. Senteced - Frozen
    4. Wintersun - Wintersun
    5. The Sins of Thy Beloved - Lake of Sorrow
    6. In Flames - Colony
    7. Opeth - Blackwater Park
    8. Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
    9. Brymir - Breath Fire to the Sun
    10. Dissection - Reinkaos

If someone was trying to find some Scandi metal, you can check those out

01. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    02. Metallica - The Black Album
    03. Anthrax - Persistence of Time
    04. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
    05. Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction
    06. Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
    07. Disturbed - Ten Thousand Fists
    08. Judas Priest - Painkiller
    09. Disturbed - Asylum
    10. Metallica - Death Magnetic

Would have listed ...And Justice For All instead of Death Magnetic if it hadn't been for the hideous lack of bass on the album. Death Magnetic over-distorting is better than having the bass turned down the 0 really. Also, I discard every form of live albums, else S&M would be there. This is kind of how it goes, I'm pretty sure it isn't 100% exact though.

-Rust in Peace is the best album of all time imo, it's packed with classic songs, all of them is of highest quality.

-The Black Album is a monster, saw all of it live this summer. Again, each song is a big hit for me, there's not a single miss.

-Persistence of Time is just dark, gritty and evil. Definitely Anthrax's best record.

-Ride the Lightning is what defines Metallica to me. It's extraordinarily amazing.

-Countdown to Extinction is another album packed with good songs, it does have one filler though, but it's still really great.

-Peace Sells is like Countdown, just a teeny tiny bit behind. It's kind of funny to hear this sadistic piece of music at times though.

-Ten Thousand Fists is what introduced me to metal, and it's just packed with good songs overall.

-Painkiller has the best production of any metal album, only behind The Black Album. The songs are definitely Judas Priest's best.

-Asylum is just amazing, it was pretty close to making a higher spot, but it's hard to go against Priest.

-Death Magnetic to me is everything I love about Metallica today. It's mostly filled with winner songs in my opinion. Quite bad production though.
    Last edited by wariofan1; 2012-07-15 at 10:38 AM.

Deleted
    01 - Onward To Golgotha - Incantation [Death Metal]
    02 - Open the Gates - Manilla Road [Epic Heavy Metal]
    03 - Soundtracks for the Blind - Swans [Experimental Rock (?)]
    04 - First Utterance - Comus [Freak Folk]
    05 - Through Silver in Blood - Neurosis [Atmospheric Sludge Metal]
    06 - Slumber of Sullen Eyes - Demigod [Death Metal]
    07 - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus [Jazz]
    08 - Choirs of the Eye - Kayo Dot [Experimental Rock (?)]
    09 - Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm - The Chasm [Death Metal]
    10 - Stormcock - Roy Harper [Progressive Folk]
    Last edited by mmoc77cd96e260; 2012-07-15 at 12:08 PM.

Deleted
    Liking the selection wariofan1. You're right about the production on Painkiller. It's fantastic.

Getting a lot of metal-heads up in here!

10+ Year Old Account
    5. Ocean Eyes by Owl City
    4. The Fray by The Fray
    3. Konkylie by When Saints Go Machine
    2. Bon Iver by Bon Iver
    1. How To Save A Life by The Fray

off the top of my head

1) Metallica - The Black Album
    2) Judas Priest - Painkiller
    3) Halford - Live Insurrection
    4) Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid
    5) Dimmu Borgir - Stormblåst
    6) Metallica - Master of Puppets
    7) Dimmu Borgir - Abrahadabra
    8) Rainbow - Rising
    9) Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz
    10) Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath

Man, this was hard to choose out

10. Angelus Apatrida - Clockwork
    9. Slash - Apocalyptic Love
    8. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
    7. Anthrax - Worship Music (yes, really, love this album more than any of their others but seriously dig the rest as well!)
    6. Alter Bridge - ABIII
    5. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
    4. Arch Enemy - Khaos Legions
    3. Dream Theater - Images and Words
    2. Judas Priest - Painkiller
    1. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell

Honorable mentions:
    Trivium - Shogun
    Guns 'N Roses - Use Your Illusion I
    In Flames - Soundtrack To Your Escape
    Soilwork - Stabbing The Drama

Edited: Forgot Cowboys from Hell, number one for me for sure, no idea why I forgot that! -_-
    Last edited by emotivex; 2012-07-16 at 01:23 AM.

1 Against Me! - Reinventing Axl Rose
    2 La Dispute - Somewhere at the Bottom of the River...
    3 maudlin of the Well - Bath
    4 Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    5 Protest the Hero - Kezia
    6 The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    7 Wolf Parade - Apologies to the Queen Mary
    8 Rush - Hemispheres
    9 Streetlight Manifesto - Somewhere in the Between
    10 The Tallest Man on Earth - any of his albums... seriously. (There's No Leaving Now, Shallow Grave, and The Wild Hunt)

These are in no particular order, but they're all albums I would give perfect ratings to.

Deleted
    1. Infected Mushroom - Legend of the Black Shawarma
    2. Infected Mushroom - Vicious Delicious
    3. Creedence Clearwater Revival - The Best of Creedence
    4. Sum 41 - Does This Look Infected
    5. Tiger Army - Music From Regions Beyond

Not sure if I can list them as a strict 1-10, but these are ten albums I seem to consistently enjoy the hell out of all the time, more than any others.

-- ISIS - Panopticon [Post-Metal]. The blending of metal heaviness and atmosphere is masterful. It makes sense when you see live shows and everybody just stands transfixed, allowing the music to flow over them.
    -- Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago [Indie Folk]. "Indie" classic for good reason. Justin Vernon knows how to tug some heart strings with this one. It may take a few listens to settle in, but fuck is it powerful.
    -- A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory [Hip-Hop]. Jazz-influenced Hip-Hop at its best. This album is just fun and cool. You can tell they had a blast making it, and it shows. Perfect for your morning cup of coffee if you want to start the day out right.
    -- CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange [Hip-Hop]. Conscious, alternative Hip-Hop. The production on this album is insane, blending together live instruments with some of the most amazing beats produced. The lyrics and flow are also superb.
    -- Modern Life Is War - Witness [Hardcore]. East Coast style Hardcore from Iowa, and goddamn is it good. Emotional, heavy and raw all in the right amounts. Never does it feel over-reaching or preachy, and it gets its point across as clearly as could be asked.
    -- Opeth - Blackwater Park [Progressive/Progressive Death]. Best pure metal album of the 2000-2010 decade. This is Opeth at their best - knowing when to turn down the intensity for beautiful clean passages just at the right time.
    -- Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me [Indie-Emo-Rock(?)]. Sheer emotion not held back by conformity to a particular musical style. Everything on this album just sounds good, and the emotions invoked by it can be staggering.
    -- Converge - Jane Doe [Metalcore/Hardcore]. Fucking raw as fuck. It doesn't get more aggressive than this. They also know how to break it up with some grooves, and beautiful passages up until the angelic-like, intense and earth-shattering ending.
    -- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven [Post-Rock]. Makes you forget you're listening to music. When you come back to earth, realizing the music drew you out of your body for a few short seconds, you'll understand.
    -- The Tallest Man On Earth - The Wild Hunt [Folk]. Take Woodie Guthrie, Bob Dylan and better guitar playing and you'll get a good idea. He takes it a bit further - this is the best modern folk music you can get your hands on.

Honorable mention goes to:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea [Indie Folk/Indie Rock] . "Indie" classic.
    Last edited by Badpaladin; 2012-07-16 at 01:54 AM.