Poll: Lore Poll

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerion View Post
    Star Wars is full of retconned/nonsensical bullshit as well. From resurrecting Darth Maul to fight Darth Vader, Boba Fett lightsaber dueling Darth Vader and somehow holding him off, Boba Fett escaping from the Sarlacc completely negating the events of RotJ, the absolute retarded character known as D'harhan (Boba Fett's pal who has a cannon for a head), a Hutt Jedi lightsaber dueling with Leia...the list goes on.
    Yeah and Triclops and little Kenny Palpatine and all sorts of crazy nonsense cooked up by various writers over 35 years. The differences are that...

1) Given the sheer volume of lore, Star Wars has been much, much, much better about avoiding actual flat-out retcons. There's never been anything as clusterfucked as Metzen's whole Draenei/Eredar/Broken disaster, for example. Sure Star Wars tends to have dead movie characters miraculously turn up alive in ancillary works if they're really popular (like Maul, Fett, etc.) and can sell some comic books or whatever, but instances of having to outright declare previous facts invalid are surprisingly rare. I think there's a little of that surrounding Fett since his background in the prequels conflicted with some earlier books, maybe some shit about the early Sith, but it's the kind of thing you'd have to be hardcore to really know about.

2) Most of Star Wars biggest lore atrocities are pretty well hidden from view, while the big WoW fuckups tend to be front and center to the franchise. If you want to find some really awful Star Wars lore, you pretty much have to dig into 30 year old comic books, 20 year old children's novels, kiddie cartoons, shit that's all pretty irrelevant to the average casual fan. Meanwhile all the headscratching about whether Arthas was holding the Scourge back, whether Ner'zhul was still in there anywhere, etc. were lore issues surrounding arguably WoW's biggest character during his period of maximum attention in the franchise. Fucking up the Lich King lore during WOTLK is equivalent to fucking up Vader's lore during Return of the Jedi, and far worse than dicking something up in a random comic book nobody reads.

Blizzard really needs to hire some nerds to staff a proper continuity department, like Lucasfilm does. We shouldn't be getting lore oopsies where it turns out the problem was that Metzen just plain forgot something.

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    Agree 100%, I love WoW over SWTOR any day all day every day (obviously fanboi right) - But Starwars lore is by far more interesting... I GUESS THATS IMO
    Agreed. wow has almost zero real lore, it's not built that way, swtor is built to tell a story. Warcraft has far more compelling lore than Swtor which is only a tiny fraction of the star wars universe lore. but swtor lore presentation blows wow's lore presentation out the water, by literally several million dollars.

Star wars universe is far deeper, more compelling, richer, bigger, vaster, far many more writers, and far more strictly held together, I mean ti's franchise is over 10 times the size of warcraft, billions of dollars have run through the star wars, and Lucas policed their lore far more diligently than Metzen and Blizzard did.

So when you're comparing Star Wars to WArcraft lore, there is no comparison. Star Wars is original, warcraft isn't it borrows from almost every pop fcition franchise, it's cheesy, but we enjoy it because it's thrown together very well, the throwing together is original.

Looking at lore since WoW has come into play, has been disastrous, so many errors, inconsistencies, poor explanations, half finished arcs, all over the place plots, the list goes on. You're writing for a game, and in particular an MMO, the type of style wow was written based on makes it almost impossible to tell a story, in fact it wasn't till Swtor 7 years later that a comprehensive story has been told in an MMO to the standards most PS3/x-box hits enjoy.. and it cost them a lot of money. Still wow has successful told the main story arcs of the expansions, and had some best selling books more because the huge playerbase tapped into it as opposed to the quality of the actual material, which is very poor.

Star Wars wins by a long long way, still, I quite like warcraft lore, a better questions would have been which do you enjoy more than which is better, more compelling etc because SW wins hands down, and remember, it's not WoW vs SWTOR it's warcraft versus star wars

Personally, I could never get into or care about Star War's story. The only real reason I like SW is lightsabers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    Agreed. wow has almost zero real lore, it's not built that way, swtor is built to tell a story. Warcraft has far more compelling lore than Swtor which is only a tiny fraction of the star wars universe lore. but swtor lore presentation blows wow's lore presentation out the water, by literally several million dollars.

Star wars universe is far deeper, more compelling, richer, bigger, vaster, far many more writers, and far more strictly held together, I mean ti's franchise is over 10 times the size of warcraft, billions of dollars have run through the star wars, and Lucas policed their lore far more diligently than Metzen and Blizzard did.

So when you're comparing Star Wars to WArcraft lore, there is no comparison. Star Wars is original, warcraft isn't it borrows from almost every pop fcition franchise, it's cheesy, but we enjoy it because it's thrown together very well, the throwing together is original.

Looking at lore since WoW has come into play, has been disastrous, so many errors, inconsistencies, poor explanations, half finished arcs, all over the place plots, the list goes on. You're writing for a game, and in particular an MMO, the type of style wow was written based on makes it almost impossible to tell a story, in fact it wasn't till Swtor 7 years later that a comprehensive story has been told in an MMO to the standards most PS3/x-box hits enjoy.. and it cost them a lot of money. Still wow has successful told the main story arcs of the expansions, and had some best selling books more because the huge playerbase tapped into it as opposed to the quality of the actual material, which is very poor.

Star Wars wins by a long long way, still, I quite like warcraft lore, a better questions would have been which do you enjoy more than which is better, more compelling etc because SW wins hands down, and remember, it's not WoW vs SWTOR it's warcraft versus star wars
    And then warhammer comes in, looks at both star wars and warcraft and is like:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    SW...way too black and white, good is good and evil is bad. i prefer a story with multiple shade of grey.
    What!?!?! Please. The worst of the movies disproves this statement and EU is full characters riding the line between good/evil, dark/light.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    you'll probably find hundred year old iterations of the exact same themes.
    You are absolutely right. Its the unlikely hero story. King Arthur, Jesus, Harry Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    But in Sci-Fi it's really hard to sell fantasy elements.
    There is a fairly new comic series that explores ancient Force users with swords and shields, etc. Pretty cool stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Which do you think is more compelling and why? They do both share remarkable resemblance when you take it into extensive reading.
    Oh come on this is such a delinquent BS question. Are there no questions left to ask. Just stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And then warhammer comes in, looks at both star wars and warcraft and is like:
    Matt Ward says hello.

Putting aside the issue of whether you like SWTOR as a game or not,I cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone could possibly ever vote for Warcraft over Star Wars on the basis of lore.

Its like comparing LotR with Twilight. That actually is a really accurate comparison because Thrall is basically Chris Metzen's Kirsten Steward(whatever the name of the character she plays in those movies is).
    Last edited by iceberg265; 2013-11-03 at 12:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course SW has more lore when fans have made more then half of it.

I always thought Elder Scrolls had way better lore than Warcraft, at least as far as worldbuilding goes. ES has actual history, folklore, mythology, and religion. WoW basically has a series of superhero fights, no real folklore beyond what's required to explain holiday events, and a heavily neutered religious aspect that's long on aesthetics and short on details.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizgar View Post
    I always thought Elder Scrolls had way better lore than Warcraft, at least as far as worldbuilding goes. ES has actual history, folklore, mythology, and religion. WoW basically has a series of superhero fights, no real folklore beyond what's required to explain holiday events, and a heavily neutered religious aspect that's long on aesthetics and short on details.
    Yeah, i agree, TES (especially morrowind) is made out of pure awesome. Definately one of most complex game uniwerses.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thneed View Post
    What!?!?! Please. The worst of the movies disproves this statement and EU is full characters riding the line between good/evil, dark/light.
    i could be wrong but, wasn't the premises of star wars is that the empire/emperor is evil? totalitarian, gratuitous violence, ruling with iron fist, slavery, summary execution, not a single redeeming quality.
    i will admit that i only know little of the star wars universe, but the little i know is very manichean.
    only two side to the force right? light and dark. It's not about riding the line, it's about having a light in the first place.

Anyway, I guess having an intricate geopolitical conflict is less attractive to the public than saving a princess tell us we are her only hope.