Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

YOUR OPNION about how life in this planet began.

Now before this turns into a flame war, all i really care to know is how YOU(emphasis on the YOU) think life began on this planet we call Earth. I for one, don't really know what to believe, which is the main reason why i created this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    *Grabs popcorn*

Deleted
    I believe that all Life on this planet and any other planets was sneezed out of the nose of a being called the Great Green Arkleseizure. I am in perpetual fear of the time called "The Coming of the Great White Handkerchief"

Inb4 religion vs science, we all know that's where it will end.

At a guess it would be:
    Big Bang/Planets forming etc
    Probably bacteria 'simple' life from elsewhere (a meteorite?) or just forming over a long, long time (probably most likely).
    Evolution occurs.
    Here we are.

... That or the mighty Flying Spaghetti Monster.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-07-16 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Couldn't make my mind up! ;)

Thread will likely be closed, unless it miraculously steers clear of the inevitable.

There's no well accepted theory of initial abiogenesis presently. It's not even know what the first life was, really. There's a wide variety of hypotheses though, and some very interesting data beginning to build. I find this to be an interesting summary of how we know what we know, and it's got a ton of links to start reading from: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/20...ing-about-the/

Captain, we have an incoming argument and flame war fast approaching, what do we do?

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Very, very carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Big Bang > Planets forming etc > probably bacteria from meteors etc > Bacteria evolves > here we are.
    Basically this. Hope this thread stays clear of flame, its a interesting topic.

Well, I don't know the specifics of the science but as soon as the circumstances were correct on earth to support life, small forms of it came to be over billions of years they evolved.

Pure chance. Which isn't that impossible when you think of the gazillions of other planets out there. At least one (I'm sure there are many) had to have the perfect combination of scenarios able to create life. Perfect distance from the sun, ozone, bacteria in the atmosphere, lots of water etc etc

I honestly don't know and I don't think we can ever know 100% so I'm pretty much a sheep, I think the big bang happened and then we evolved over many years.

Deleted
    God created big bang that created earth and other planets.

Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    Pure chance. Which isn't that impossible when you think of the gazillions of other planets out there. At least one (I'm sure there are many) had to have the perfect combination of scenarios able to create life. Perfect distance from the sun, ozone, bacteria in the atmosphere, lots of water etc etc
    Well, pure chance isn't exactly right. Your point is well taken, but a bit of anthropic principle needs to figure in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Well, I don't know the specifics of the science but as soon as the circumstances were correct on earth to support life, small forms of it came to be over billions of years they evolved.
    Thats just boring. Be creative!

Aliens...there!

Seeded from Mars.
    Gnome Pride!

Quote Originally Posted by Kreek View Post
    Captain, we have an incoming argument and flame war fast approaching, what do we do?
    Beam me up kreeky!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, pure chance isn't exactly right. Your point is well taken, but a bit of anthropic principle needs to figure in.
    I thought this thread asked for my opinion? :P I am certainly no expert on space matters, so I am likely horribly wrong, but at the moment that's what I believe based on what little I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    Aliens...there!
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6...52ho1_1280.jpg

---------- Post added 2012-07-15 at 07:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    I thought this thread asked for my opinion? :P I am certainly no expert on space matters, so I am likely horribly wrong, but at the moment that's what I believe based on what little I know.
    I assumed we'd all discuss our opinions!

I don't think you're horribly wrong at all. I think you're basically right. I was just quibbling with "pure", as opposed to saying, "a lot of chance". Sorry if it came off snarky!

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    At a guess it would be - Big Bang > Planets forming etc > probably bacteria from elsewhere (a meteorite?) or just forming over a long, long time > here we are
    Everything looked good until you got to bacteria. Bacteria are not the simplest form of life in the history of the Earth. They evolved from even simpler organisms on Earth. So I think it's safer to say that it just formed over a long period, like you suggested in the second half of that statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?