Poll: What say you?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    As mentioned cartoony graphics age really well, and if done proper, give game a nice aesthetic. Also consider that if wow was photorealistic, how many people would go puke as soon they enter undercity and see abominations with bellies open and guts hanging out? I, for one, am not interested in HD anatomy lesson, also torture racks in scarlet monastery and similar things, wow isn't exactly pacifistic universe, but art style makes it easier to show without inducing nausea.

if the game is GOOD, I don't care about it's graphics.

but IMHO a game must always be funny. if I'm not laughing, I'm not having true fun.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Only if they are done well yeah ill prob enjoy them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cudomix View Post
    As mentioned cartoony graphics age really well, and if done proper, give game a nice aesthetic. Also consider that if wow was photorealistic, how many people would go puke as soon they enter undercity and see abominations with bellies open and guts hanging out? I, for one, am not interested in HD anatomy lesson, also torture racks in scarlet monastery and similar things, wow isn't exactly pacifistic universe, but art style makes it easier to show without inducing nausea.
    That's a good point. WoW's cartoon style does soften the more horrific scenes in the game.
    Putin khuliyo

It really depends on the actual content of the game rather then if it is cartoony or not most of the time. Though there are some games i just can't stand because they look to cartoony. I'd play HoN over LoL any day.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    That's a good point. WoW's cartoon style does soften the more horrific scenes in the game.
    Which in turn makes them dull. Seriously, when was the last time someone thought that some carnage was "too much". Its nothing, just another random casualty.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    Still enough for China to censorship half the content in Wotlk.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Graphics are relative to what is happening in the world that uses them. Wow has a great style, but there are several games out there that show you can ramp the graphics way up without losing what makes the game unique. A lot of people may not like the game, but TERA is livnig proof that you can have a beautiful MMO with a distinct style.

If they gave the technology from TERA to the Blizzard art department, and we were to wake up to an amped up version of WoW graphics, I would honestly want to just start my account over to nerd out over the story in such an awesome environment.

In terms of generality, ie the TLR version - Graphics make games look awesome, but are not necessary to be great. Love me some minecraft/terraria. Not to mention I will still play old school commander keen or jungle jill every now and again.

i like the ones that i pugh buttons and shiny stuff happens

Deleted
    Cartoony like WoW is? Yes, I not just like, I prefer this style. It adds life into games and it makes them look good for much longer periods of time. I once spend quite a lot of time (and money...) playing a little known f2p mmo Allods online. It has pretty much same graphics style as WoW, just graphics overall are better. I pretty much played it because of the art design, I simply loved it. In fact if I could make an mmo on my own it would have same cartoonish looks like Allods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Usually. Skelington loves Nintendo. And

Realistic games always seem to try too hard to be serious or to have a good plot, or they're a bunch of FPS. And the people who bash cartoony games for being "childish" are amusing.

Don't really care about graphics though. Gameplay is the most important part.
    You contradicted yourself.... you generalized about realistic games, and then proceeded to criticize people who generalize about cartoony games.

Anyways I really have no preference. Cartoony or realistic. Serious or comedic. In the end if the gameplay is good, and the story is enjoyable, then I don't care.

nope, anything like league of legends just looks very silly to me. not bashing the game or anything, i just prefer something with real graphics, not watching a Disney cartoon.

Don't care really, as long as it looks good. I've played realistic and cartoony games that look like crap and look great. Choosing a direction is important, but what you do with it is equally important. Cartoony games to allow for games to get away with a lower level of detail while still looking great.

I don't ''prefer'' cartoony games, I don't mind if they are realistic or cartoony, I just want it to fit their game.

Imagine if Mario was realistic instead of cartoony, it would just ruin the entire franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Which in turn makes them dull. Seriously, when was the last time someone thought that some carnage was "too much". Its nothing, just another random casualty.
    WoW isn't suppose to be a grimdark horror game, but a whimsical high fantasy, which it has been since at least WCIII (I can't say about before, never played them)
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    The one thing I can't stand is when games get too photo-realistic and therefore go all fugly. I don't know what it is, but when it reaches a certain point, it just looks like bad cinematics instead of good graphics.

I do like it when a game has a clear graphical style. I loved Prince of Persia (the 2008 Ubisoft title) for the rough, almost pencil drawn graphics. More like that, please.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Don't really care. For my it isn't about if its cartoony or realistic its more about the art style they went with.

Like WoW vs Team fortress 2 are both cartoony and have a very different look and style to them

Deleted
    I don't care. As long as the graphics are decent, I don't care it's cartoony.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    So yeah, I'm a 35 year old male and I prefer cartoony games. You got a problem with that?!

What's your preference?
    Seeing I still play a ton of SNES games, of which most of them are cartoony ... yes ... I'm a big fan of them
    You're around my age as well, so this may just be part of a pattern?

With EGA/VGA coming out, I rose on "cartoony" style for games. Might and Magic III+, Shining in the Darkness (though it was for console), etc. When I was trying some super-hyped games like Fallout, I couldn't even make myself start playing them. For me it was like - come on, guys, this game is not for CGA, you can use some more colors in your game than 8 versions of brown and gray.

Each time I see wanna-be-realistic games with palette consisting mostly of brown and gray colors, I remember CGA times

Also "cartoon"-style is easier to perceive by eyes, as they don't have to try to distinguish various versions of one color. There is more color contrast in "cartoon"-style.

Of course gameplay>>graphics, but it is hard to make yourself play the game if you can't accept it's graphical style.