Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouky View Post
    you are not suppose to play all the time.

and you are not that smart, if you think anyone can make you 6-8 month of non repetitive of gameplay.
    I agree , in burning crusade you had to put the time in to clear the current content because the titles and some mounts would fall away when the new xpac arrived or was it before the 3.0 nerf, can't remember. However now we don't have to worry, i can go faceroll the madness title in 45 minutes at level 90 which a lot of players spents months and months wasting there lives getting.

IMO the game is much better for that now for the majority of players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazyjoe View Post
    The thing blizzard realised that people won't just be playing there game anymore and made it so you can play for 2 hrs and week and clear the same content your current hardcore raiders do. It's a win / win for everyone
    It's more like a lose/lose for everyone in my opinion. The content has become so simple that it can barely be classed as content. The casual has an experience of it not unlike just watching it on youtube or blitzing an old dungeon you have never done before. It's content so instantly accessible that it can pretty much be consumed in a single casual weekend and then the player is left waiting for more content to be released because reclearing it is infinitely less gratifying than doing it on proper difficulty with a guild. It's also a lose situation for hardcore players because the only progress they get is clearing the same stuff on harder difficulty, which is not new content. People have explained this to the blue poster in great detail in that 100-page thread.

Blizzard's (flawed) logic states that casual players will clear LFR, and if they have more time to kill they will join a guild and do normal, and if they become even more dedicated they will end up doing hardmodes. But in reality people stick to the level they prefer and the result is the content wears out faster than ever

Quote Originally Posted by laserguns View Post
    It's more like a lose/lose for everyone in my opinion. The content has become so simple that it can barely be classed as content. The casual has an experience of it not unlike just watching it on youtube or blitzing an old dungeon you have never done before. It's content so instantly accessible that it can pretty much be consumed in a single casual weekend and then the player is left waiting for more content to be released because reclearing it is infinitely less gratifying than doing it on proper difficulty with a guild. It's also a lose situation for hardcore players because the only progress they get is clearing the same stuff on harder difficulty, which is not new content. People have explained this to the blue poster in great detail in that 100-page thread.

Blizzard's (flawed) logic states that casual players will clear LFR, and if they have more time to kill they will join a guild and do normal, and if they become even more dedicated they will end up doing hardmodes. But in reality people stick to the level they prefer and the result is the content wears out faster than ever
    Aren't they bringing out the pet battle system though to solve time gap between raid resets, and people who clear content fast can put more work into levelling up there pets and that?

I think they talked about it on legendary a week ago that blizzard is trying to target a younger playerbase, so LFR will be for younger players and casuals to work towards finishing and the rest still have normal mode and heroic mode. At least when MoP starts there will be 13 raid bosses which I think will help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
    So basically, when someone (alt or not) levels up, he has to first run heroics to get gear for the first tier (which is not bad in itself) and then run LFR (let's say we have a player who is in a social guild) for weeks to get the gear of tier 1, then repeat for tier 2, etc... This would be stupid.

Stupid? This is the way the progression of characters in role-playing games has been working pretty much ever since role-playing games exist. When a player creates a new character he has to advance him step by step through the content of the game. This is basic role-playing game design.

Which for some weird reason does not seem to apply to the biggest mmorpg of them all... This is where all those "innovations'" and "quality of life" changes have brought the game. Up is down and down is sideways. Cause some people that don't even know how role-playing games work, complained about it, and Blizzard said so be it, to help work the numbers around. Meanwhile common sense and basic game design fly out of the window. One recent example being on the front page of this very site, in the excerpts from the thread on the official WoW forums where a Blizzard employee manages to enlighten us, and by enlighten I mean set our brain on fire, by not understanding the similarities between Skyrim and WoW. An open-world rpg, and an open world mmorpg according to him are "completely different".

If someone wants to create more than one character in WoW, or any rpg for that matter, then he has to start all-over again. That is how things are done. And for a very good reason. WoW is a role-playing game, not a moba, where you just log in, pick a character and go kill creeps. You create and shape your character. Reaching the level cap is not the only goal. Having a good time reaching there is. And once you are there to start shaping your character through the game's high-level content.

Of course for that to be done, there has to be some early and mid-level content worth playing through, which is another area where the game is bad. When the "new and improved" levelling experience of Cataclysm was released, content that took months to go through initially, took a few days now. Because offering less content to play through is a design goal apparently. And of course to top it all off, a lot of players got excited about it. They got excited that now they would have less of a game to play. Because the most joyous aspect of the game is the end-level grind for points... the one most of these players complain about, as the very same time....

The lack of knowledge, experience, and identity as a gamer of a lot of WoW players is quite evident from the above. They get less content, and they cheer, because that way they can get to the end of the game faster, to get bored faster, and then complain about it. Which is why Blizzard should really try to just make the damn game the way they did in vanilla. Just make the game and stop trying to please every single person, especially the ones that spout gibberish, not because they are bad people, or stupid, but just because they themselves have no idea what they enjoy from the game.

Tiered progression is a technique to get the player to experience the content. Just like a main campaign is. A sort of guiding hand to all the things that you can do in the game. And yes, at times that guiding hand grabs you and throws you into content, and shuts the door behind you. But it's for your own good. Because the content is there to be played through, not roflstomped through a few tiers later, if ever. And, it also increases the duration of the content. Job done. It worked for years. Not just vanilla and TBC. I mean years before WoW was even released. It is one of the basic concepts of game design. And not just videogame design, but game design in general. Taking it one step at a time.

Of course for that to work in WoW, things have to be different. Areas would have to be filled with quests once more. Instead of emptied like it happened with Cataclysm. I-am-lazy-please-chew-my-food-for-me tools like the quest tracker should be removed, and any similar add-on banned. Quests would have to have some depth in them, require players to think, pit them against challenges, actual challenges, that require knowledge, thinking and execution to be overcome. Obstacles should be raised, that will force players to learn how to play at least somewhat better than the current average. And low-level content in general should be filled with lots of interesting, in-depth, exciting content (racial campaigns, meaningful choices, small factions, exploration, etc). To keep players engaged through all those months it would take them to go through the content.

But of course that can't happen in WoW. Because as everybody knows in Blizzard's Wonderland, when your game becomes immensely financially succesful, you don't keep doing what you were doing good, you switch to senanigans, and common sense does not apply to you any longer, you can make a mmorpg play like a moba if you want to. Who will complain? Most of your players can't tell the difference between the two anyway, or just don't care anymore, they merely want their World of Facebook treat of the day.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2012-07-20 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny. You called ICC "the old days". Gave me a good chuckle. To enlighten you further:
    SSC: 7 bosses
    TK: 5 bosses
    SWP: 6 bosses

There always were smaller raids.
    Just so you know, SSC had 6 bosses and TK had 4 bosses. Both of these tiers were also out on release day. The Black Temple was released before TK had even been cleared. They literally released content before the past content was dead.

If they want content to last longer they need to force people to do content. It's really that simple.

There should never be a five man awarding better loot than a raid. If they want to add new five man content they need to have it for lore and storyline purposes and it needs to drop something cosmetic such as a mount, pet, tabard, etc.

If they want content to last they need to force the progression of content. Personally I'm all for attunements, yet they really don't even need that. If a group of people wanted to succeed in Firelands, they should have had to do BoT, BWD, and Throne. If a group wanted to do Dragon Soul, they should have had to do BoT, BWD, Throne, and Firelands.

Being able to skip firelands and all of t11 because of 5 mans destroyed the game. Same goes for LFR or really LFR wasn't necessarily the problem. The problem was that you could get in LFR by doing 5 mans or that you could buy the PvP loot and cheat your ilvl high enough to get into LFR.

There are essentially two fixes they need to do in order to make content last. First, 5 man gear should never be greater than raid gear unless they do something like Sunwell (an unplanned raid only out for four months) and/or they should add attunements to force people to see content. Even if the attunement quest can be completed on the LFR version. Second, they need to tier battleground brackets. There shouldn't be ilvl 377 boe craftable PvP pieces. It lets you bypass everything. They also cannot expect people who just dinged 85 to compete with R1 geared people in random battlegrounds. They need to tier battlegrounds just like everything else. Have a hidden check for you need this ilvl. People below that ilvl go into a bg que and people above that ilvl go into a bg que. They play in separate ilvls. Not only does this ease the gear burden but in some cases it will also face not as skilled players with more not as skilled players. It allows for more of a learning curve while the PvP to get their gear to play in the higher ilvl battleground.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drithiend View Post
    Stupid? This is the way the progression of characters in role-playing games has been working pretty much ever since role-playing games exist.
    Yeah, except that all those games were created by and for nerds who has vast amounts of time to waste... sorry, dedicate to the game. This is no longer the case - the people playing now are not the same as those playing them even 5 years ago.

Which for some weird reason does not seem to apply to the biggest mmorpg of them all... This is where all those "innovations'" and "quality of life" changes have brought the game. Up is down and down is sideways. Cause some people that don't even know how role-playing games work, complained about it, and Blizzard said so be it, to help work the numbers around.
    No one forces you to play. You want to play some Korean MMO, fine.

Meanwhile common sense and basic game design fly out of the window. One recent example being on the front page of this very site, in the excerpts from the thread on the official WoW forums where a Blizzard employee manages to enlighten us, and by enlighten I mean set our brain on fire, by not understanding the similarities between Skyrim and WoW. An open-world rpg, and an open world mmorpg according to him are "completely different".
    Skyrim is a single-player game. And a B2P one. If you don't understand how those affect the game in terms of skill balance, lack of problems regarding multi-players, client-server, game economy and quite a lot of other things, I can't help you.

Of course for that to be done, there has to be some early and mid-level content worth playing through, which is another area where the game is bad. When the "new and improved" levelling experience of Cataclysm was released, content that took months to go through initially, took a few days now.
    I have leveled alts in BC, LK and Cata. Cata leveling is better from all aspects (except time wasted) by a huge margin. It is perfectible, sure, but BC and to lesser extent LK leveling was horrible.

The lack of knowledge, experience, and identity as a gamer of a lot of WoW players is quite evident from the above. They get less content, and they cheer, because that way they can get to the end of the game faster, to get bored faster, and then complain about it.
    Or - I know it's a shocking thought to you - so they can dedicate that time to something else, like family and friends - instead sitting for months in front of a monitor farming Karazhan. Yeah, that's a pretty radical idea.

Which is why Blizzard should really try to just make the damn game the way they did in vanilla. Just make the game and stop trying to please every single person, especially the ones that spout gibberish, not because they are bad people, or stupid, but just because they themselves have no idea what they enjoy from the game.
    So that the game can commit suicide? Just to please your strange ideas about how a game should be?

Of course for that to work in WoW, things have to be different. Areas would have to be filled with quests once more. Instead of emptied like it happened with Cataclysm.
    Please stop taking whatever strange substances you're taking. Zones were MUCH more empty pre-Cata.

I-am-lazy-please-chew-my-food-for-me tools like the quest tracker should be removed, and any similar add-on banned.
    Yeah, so we have to alt-tab to wowhead every 2 seconds, woohoo. Oh yeah, I know - you must have shares in some monitor manufacturing company, because you want everyone to get a double screen setup for that!

Quests would have to have some depth in them, require players to think, pit them against challenges, actual challenges, that require knowledge, thinking and execution to be overcome.
    Riiiiight, because all the other MMOs have that. Oh wait, they don't, they're based on stupid grinding. I head they get some of those MMOs on the Moon, but I can't play those, 1.2 sec for the signal to get there and back is a bit too much XDD
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I'd like to point out about Cataclysm raids compared to, lets say, ICC is that ICC heroic had limited attempts on the bosses at the end of wings and on the Lich King, while Cataclysm had none of that. So in a way, ICC lasted longer just cos you could only try Lich King heroic 35 times a week. Now look at Ragnaros heroic. I remember Paragon saying it took them something ridiculous like nearly 300 attempts to beat him, which if you had limited attempts would have taken 8 or 9 weeks to do, maybe even more because you wouldn't be brute forcing the content and would have to refresh yourself every week. I guess in a way Blizzard have taken out the meaning of the word "heroic" from the heroic raid by eliminating them attempt rules, cos it would be pretty heroic to beat a boss within the attempts limit. Not that I ever raided heroic or anything, but it certainly stretched out the content when it was too hard to beat and got people gearing up for longer to beat things.
    Last edited by Marmot; 2012-07-21 at 05:03 PM.

<snip>
    I love you, Drithiend. Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    So in a way, ICC lasted longer just cos you could only try Lich King heroic 35 times a week. Now look at Ragnaros heroic. I remember Paragon saying it took them something ridiculous like nearly 300 attempts to beat him, which if you had limited attempts would have taken 8 or 9 weeks to do, maybe even more because you wouldn't be brute forcing the content and would have to refresh yourself every week.
    Thier post says 500+ attempts
    We wiped 500+ times on the boss, although I lost count at some point.
    http://www.paragon.fi/news/ragnaros-25-man-heroic-dead

How many weeks is that with a 35 attempts a week model ? 14-15 ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Using T14 and T15 as examples.
    What I think is going to need to happen is they'll have to overtune things intentionally to where you cannot kill bosses in the T15 until you've obtained heroic gear from T14. Even then with the BiS gear of a T14 it'll still be very difficult.

For example, they already have this gear scaling in place. So on the PTR they can test it with scaling your gear boosting you up to heroic ilvl from T14 and once they're happy with that they release the raid.

I mean, LFR is there for the purpose of "Seeing the content". There's no reason to nerf it, so make it extremely difficult for the top guilds. And don't say "Oh, they'll never do that", because they did just that in D3 for Inferno before they nerfed it.

Quote Originally Posted by timmyotoole View Post
    I think the direction they're going in is a good one. Raid content cannot bear the burden of being the only challenge the game has to offer at end-game.
    I assume you're saying that means it should be removed as a challenge?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    Using T14 and T15 as examples.
    What I think is going to need to happen is they'll have to overtune things intentionally to where you cannot kill bosses in the T15 until you've obtained heroic gear from T14. Even then with the BiS gear of a T14 it'll still be very difficult.
    That's not how it works. And that's also not how it should work.

Normal modes are meant to be able to be cleared in the previous tier's normal mode gear. Heroic modes are meant to be able to be cleared in the previous tier's heroic mode gear.

If guild A can't clear t14 heroic, but they can clear t14 normal, why should they be unable to clear t15 normal because they're not full BiS?
    ill probably be infracted for this post

15+ Year Old Account
    The truth is there's an entire raid missing from Cata. Normally there was suppose to be an underwater raid following the plot started in throne of the tides. Ever wonder what was the point of the entire zone and the Neptulon kidnapping? Well it was a raid and it was scrapped.
    Facilis Descensus Averno

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Thier post says 500+ attempts
    We wiped 500+ times on the boss, although I lost count at some point.
    http://www.paragon.fi/news/ragnaros-25-man-heroic-dead

How many weeks is that with a 35 attempts a week model ? 14-15 ?
    Well I did say "something ridiculous like" so I wasn't really sure , but yeah that is even more than I thought, and it really would take a hell of a long time to clear an end boss with the attempts model. With lack of practice between it would probably take longer, cos when you are at it non stop you have it fresh in your mind, so I'd probably add another 3-5 weeks onto the estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis View Post
    The truth is there's an entire raid missing from Cata. Normally there was suppose to be an underwater raid following the plot started in throne of the tides. Ever wonder what was the point of the entire zone and the Neptulon kidnapping? Well it was a raid and it was scrapped.
    Abyssal Maw, It was suppose to be T12 but they brought back ZA and ZG instead.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingHollowVeteran View Post
    [SIZE=1]
    I mean, LFR is there for the purpose of "Seeing the content". There's no reason to nerf it, so make it extremely difficult for the top guilds.
    Although I always view LFR as "seeing the content", Blizzard know this yet they still need to interfere with heroics, it's as if the concept of keeping it hard for the players who are ready for them is lost. The game would be in alot better shape without continuous nerfs, that's why there are separate difficulties, /shrug?

If they kept it without nerfing everything, content would last longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    Although I always view LFR as "seeing the content", Blizzard know this yet they still need to interfere with heroics, it's as if the concept of keeping it hard for the players who are ready for them is lost. The game would be in alot better shape without continuous nerfs, that's why there are separate difficulties, /shrug?

If they kept it without nerfing everything, content would last longer.
    Content lasted 2 weeks without nerfs. Nerfs came in months after release and after the content was beaten.

Regarding the idea that HM should not be nerfed. Let me throw this at you: You're playing with your guild, you've cleared Bob's Cave of Things with Big Teeth on normal for a while now. You understand there are some new mechanics that are pretty interesting in Heroic Bob's Cave of Things with Big Teeth, but when you give it a shot, you find that even after a respectable amount of time working on it, let's say four weeks at 30 attempts per week you reach the conclusion that this is just not going to happen. For a combination of reasons, say your resto shaman has connectivity issues, but also happens to be your raid leader and a really great guy for morale. Whatever the reason is, you can't get past the roadblock in front of you.

Normal's not the same, and heroic's just slightly out of reach. Why, after the lucky like-minded few who can do un-nerfed heroic have had their fun, is it a crime that you should be able to experience that middle-ground between heroic and normal? That extra taste of difficulty and mechanics, but brought within your limitations.

Unfortunately the only answer I've ever seen put forward to that question boils down to jealousy. People want two cookies, and others to have none. The race for server first bullshit 'requiring' the use of the nerf to compete does not fly with me. If it was truly important to them, they would turn off the nerf and be satisfied that someone else needed a leg up just to compete with them. Especially going forward, where people do get their nod for completing without the nerf (See: the Cutting Edge feats of strength).

One thing to note for your boss number rundown is the bosses used to be really damn simple, and had only one difficulty level. Blizzard could achieve quantity over quality rather easily for those who simply want a lot of bosses. When it comes to loot, which I do feel is a valid concern, do not forget about the bonus roll mechanic being implemented. Do some dailies in between raids, and you can get your own shot at extra loot, even if your PR for EP/GP is in the toilet.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Content lasted 2 weeks without nerfs. Nerfs came in months after release and after the content was beaten.
    I'm talking about the general playerbase. It would last significantly longer for the average player. Because it would give them something to aim from, even if they can't kill the first boss in a heroic until they farm a few weeks of normal, is that really a big matter? Not really... At least the content lasts for them then.

Quote Originally Posted by Azshira View Post
    I'm talking about the general playerbase. It would last significantly longer for the average player. Because it would give them something to aim from, even if they can't kill the first boss in a heroic until they farm a few weeks of normal, is that really a big matter? Not really... At least the content lasts for them then.
    But DS didn't have a short life span because of the nerfs, it had a short life span due to burn out through a combination of LFR and normal not sharing lockout, there being so few bosses, and a lot of the mechanics being boring and/or repetitive.