10+ Year Old Account

Back after a few months, trying to put some info together

Hey guys, I've played Rift for about 2-3 months, I started raiding on HK and a few places I cant remember and then unsubbed to the crazy amount of ISS I had to farm.

Anyways, I really liked the time I played Rift, not sure why but I felt that the raids on Rift were 10x better than the WoW ones, and I got the surge to sub again like a week or so ago.

So I subbed yesterday and started to play with my Mage. I did a the "charges" i had to run dungeon and ask a few guildys (I still was on the same guild) about what to aim towards gearing and such and this is what they told me:

Get Greater Mark of Ascension and farm ISS to get my water sigil, then focus on Earth and then Fire sigil.

I tried to google some info, got into about 15 forums or sites and didnt get any updated info.

Is pyro/lock still viable? Which is the "cookie-cutter" spec for dps mages today?

Is there any fast or decent way to get ISS on a semi-death realm where no one does events (Millrush) ?

Thanks in advance guys, and sorry if this questions seems stupid or if this text was hard to read (not a native english speaker).
    My Rogue

Veni, vidi, vici.

I like MoP now c:

Don't play a mage myself, but the official forums have many guides. It's the prime source for specs/gearing.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...n/mage-guides/

Don't really have to farm a water sigil. Skip straight to gathering infernal marks and building a strong core. There is no real way around collection in Rift- do your dungeon dailies, run master modes, run raids and farm ISS/PA xp anytime in-between.

This is pretty much the go to spec for mages, and I made a video of how to set up the Karuul Alert addon so that you can play the spec as a priority based rotation, which nets fairly decent DPS.

Defilemancer is the other spec, you can find a guide on the official forums under Classes > Mages > Mage Guides, but it's a bitch to play and only nets about 300 more DPS.

Farm Greater Marks of Ascension until you have four pieces of Hammerknell tier gear (Nyx's gear) and get the Pyromancer Synergy Crystal for a huge DPS boost. Then swap to farming Infernal Mark of Ascension and get Infernal Dawn tier gear (Infernal gear).

As for ISS farming get a DPS sigil first, then if you are in a guild who raids mostly Hammerknell work on Water Resist. If you're pro and/or being carried through Infernal Dawn, work on Fire Resist first, then Earth Resist. Resist sigils do not have to be best in slot to begin with so don't sit about waiting until you have the perfect essences, just get your sigil filled and get raiding. Although it's probably about 2000 ISS all told for a DPS sigil and every single resist, you can easily spread that over a month or three (depending on how fast you progress), and farming 200 ISS per day is perfectly feasible on a medium or busy server. Make sure you do the Instant Adventure/Rift Raid dailies and Invasion weekly for bonus ISS.

Finally, this here is the mage gear list, updated at the moment by me. It is your bible, and will help you prepare

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't play a mage myself, but the official forums have many guides. It's the prime source for specs/gearing.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...n/mage-guides/

Don't really have to farm a water sigil. Skip straight to gathering infernal marks and building a strong core. There is no real way around collection in Rift- do your dungeon dailies, run master modes, run raids and farm ISS/PA xp anytime in-between.
    Well i have looked into the official forums but that place seems a bit dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    This is pretty much the go to spec for mages, and I made a video of how to set up the Karuul Alert addon so that you can play the spec as a priority based rotation, which nets fairly decent DPS.

Defilemancer is the other spec, you can find a guide on the official forums under Classes > Mages > Mage Guides, but it's a bitch to play and only nets about 300 more DPS.

Farm Greater Marks of Ascension until you have four pieces of Hammerknell tier gear (Nyx's gear) and get the Pyromancer Synergy Crystal for a huge DPS boost. Then swap to farming Infernal Mark of Ascension and get Infernal Dawn tier gear (Infernal gear).

As for ISS farming get a DPS sigil first, then if you are in a guild who raids mostly Hammerknell work on Water Resist. If you're pro and/or being carried through Infernal Dawn, work on Fire Resist first, then Earth Resist. Resist sigils do not have to be best in slot to begin with so don't sit about waiting until you have the perfect essences, just get your sigil filled and get raiding. Although it's probably about 2000 ISS all told for a DPS sigil and every single resist, you can easily spread that over a month or three (depending on how fast you progress), and farming 200 ISS per day is perfectly feasible on a medium or busy server. Make sure you do the Instant Adventure/Rift Raid dailies and Invasion weekly for bonus ISS.

Finally, this here is the mage gear list, updated at the moment by me. It is your bible, and will help you prepare
    That spec is pretty much like the one I was using before, but with life leech. Nice and usefull video!

Hmm Im not sure if I should focus on Greater Marks, i talked to an officer of my guild last night and he told me that my gear is enought for T3, so I think UI should focus on the infernal marks.. Hmm I already have a dps sigil, I def need to focus on the water one.

I have no idea how you are able to pull 200 ISS a day lol, mind sharing your tricks?
    My Rogue

Veni, vidi, vici.

I like MoP now c:

Quote Originally Posted by Matutin View Post
    Well i have looked into the official forums but that place seems a bit dead...
    It's not. Guides are updated every major change/patch. There aren't many 3rd party site with the info on the official forums.

Not sure why you think it's dead honestly. Sort of a bizarre perception.

That spec is pretty much like the one I was using before, but with life leech. Nice and usefull video!
    Yeah since you will only cast LL a few times during the course of a fight (initially, and then after each Heat Wave, I don't refresh during HW) it is an insanely high DPS spell (Void Bolt is about the same DPS as Fireball so it's fine to use to refresh LL, but obviously lacks Combust procs).

Hmm Im not sure if I should focus on Greater Marks, i talked to an officer of my guild last night and he told me that my gear is enought for T3, so I think UI should focus on the infernal marks.. Hmm I already have a dps sigil, I def need to focus on the water one.

I have no idea how you are able to pull 200 ISS a day lol, mind sharing your tricks?
    If you're at 420 focus then sure, go for Infernal Marks.

200 ISS is easier because I am a) on a very busy server that has a lot of events that are always cleared and b) I am a jobless student at the moment Just make sure you do the daily Raid Rift, do your daily IAs on Ember Isle, and attend all the zone events in Ironpine, Shimmer, Stillmoor and Ember Isle. You'll average about 10 ISS per event, 20 per day is doable if you're alert.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not. Guides are updated every major change/patch. There aren't many 3rd party site with the info on the official forums.

Not sure why you think it's dead honestly. Sort of a bizarre perception.
    Well i looked into the "last updated" date on the threads, and most of them were about 2 months ago or so, but I'll check the guides again..

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Yeah since you will only cast LL a few times during the course of a fight (initially, and then after each Heat Wave, I don't refresh during HW) it is an insanely high DPS spell (Void Bolt is about the same DPS as Fireball so it's fine to use to refresh LL, but obviously lacks Combust procs).

If you're at 420 focus then sure, go for Infernal Marks.

200 ISS is easier because I am a) on a very busy server that has a lot of events that are always cleared and b) I am a jobless student at the moment Just make sure you do the daily Raid Rift, do your daily IAs on Ember Isle, and attend all the zone events in Ironpine, Shimmer, Stillmoor and Ember Isle. You'll average about 10 ISS per event, 20 per day is doable if you're alert.
    Hmm inresting about life leech. I'll need to setup an aura for it. Also bind a key for it plus Void Bolt.

Hmm i think im close to 330 focus, but i know im missing a few runes, I may able to push my focus to 350 or so.. Still need a bit more of gear to push into t3, but I think i should try to get some HK gear...

And well, Millrush is pretty empty atm, but the guild will transfer in a few days, so im not worried about it. I think i dont know what's the daily Raid rift and what's the IA's on Ember island :P

EDIT: just realized something about the build you linked above... It has only 4 points on opportunity... Is that right?
    Last edited by Matutin; 2012-07-18 at 03:33 PM.
    My Rogue

Veni, vidi, vici.

I like MoP now c:

Well i looked into the "last updated" date on the threads, and most of them were about 2 months ago or so, but I'll check the guides again..
    Many of the specs don't change unless there is a major class change. Also people can update the OP but usually thread flies under the same banner. For example, the dual wield warrior thread was ongoing for like 3-4 months until a major change in class mechanics occurred.

I understand why you got that impression now. I simply advise that you actually read the forums. Again, there are few to none in 3rd party sites speaking on builds, BiS and so on. Most are simply regurgitated from the forums anyway and you'll find many in game referring to builds by the forum nomenclature of "Blinkblade", "Domlock", "Purisent", etc.

I assure you the forums are not dead and are the greatest source of information.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of the specs don't change unless there is a major class change. Also people can update the OP but usually thread flies under the same banner. For example, the dual wield warrior thread was ongoing for like 3-4 months until a major change in class mechanics occurred.

I understand why you got that impression now. I simply advise that you actually read the forums. Again, there are few to none in 3rd party sites speaking on builds, BiS and so on. Most are simply regurgitated from the forums anyway and you'll find many in game referring to builds by the forum nomenclature of "Blinkblade", "Domlock", "Purisent", etc.

I assure you the forums are not dead and are the greatest source of information.
    Aye aye sir, I'll read the forums.
    My Rogue

Veni, vidi, vici.

I like MoP now c:

Almost forgot about Bluedots.

http://bluedots.org/content.php?153-mages_1

Again, many of the specs/builds are still valid as not a lot changes from patch to patch with most class mechanics.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-18 at 04:42 PM.

Bluedot's is practically dead these days, since he buggered off from the game, again.

And yes, 4pts in Opportunity not 5.