Buying a new system

I'm going to be picking up a new Windows gaming desktop soon, and I'm wondering if there are any companies out there building decent systems. I don't want to build it myself, and I don't know anyone who can build it for me. I'm hoping to spend ~$1,500 (in the US), and I have neither the desire nor the resources to drop $3,000+ on bleeding edge hardware. I just need something that can handle the games that are out now and coming in the immediate future (I mostly play MMOs).

Does anyone have information about (or better yet personal experiences with) companies that build systems specifically for gaming like Digital Storm, IBuyPower, Alienware, etc, or are these going to cost significantly more than I can afford? Are there any other similar companies that I should know about?

I'm assuming that the major name brand manufacturers (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.) produce nothing but disposable junk as a result of their race to the lowest possible cost. I'm also guessing those systems would not be suitable for gaming, since that's not what the major manufacturers design their systems for. Is that accurate? Are there any name brand manufacturers that are even worth looking at for gaming?
    Last edited by gx240; 2012-07-17 at 09:05 PM.

Don't go with alienware, for 1500$ you will buy a pc from them that can barely run wow, Alienware are overpriced crazily and crash after a few months.

here's an Asus that will pretty much run any game available atm and for a while on maxed/ultra graphics.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+E...&skuId=5555496

That was just a quick search if i find something better i will definitely reply. Just try and stay away from dell's and Alienware. Also Macs can't even play 1/8th of the games out there so no point into looking into them.

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

Quote Originally Posted by windfish View Post
    Don't go with alienware, for 1500$ you will buy a pc from them that can barely run wow, Alienware are overpriced crazily and crash after a few months.

here's an Asus that will pretty much run any game available atm and for a while on maxed/ultra graphics.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+E...&skuId=5555496

That was just a quick search if i find something better i will definitely reply. Just try and stay away from dell's and Alienware. Also Macs can't even play 1/8th of the games out there so no point into looking into them.

Thank you for the link; I'm looking at it now. I'm curious though, aren't systems like this designed and built mainly for business or general use home PCs (as opposed to gaming which is much more demanding)? If they aren't designed with gaming in mind (i.e. CPU and GPU running on max for hours on end), don't I run the risk of problems like overheating for example?

Or do custom built gaming PCs really use the same components and design as the major manufacturers with the only real difference being a flashy case and double the price?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883229336
    throw this ssd in there http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147164 and your still well below your 1500 budget with a pretty decent machine that will last for awhile
    You Can't C Me!!

10+ Year Old Account
    thats not really true,

in the $1500 range Alienware is the best prebuilt to look at

an Aurora R4 base with a GTX-560ti is $1529

Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
    2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (10M Cache, Overclocked up to 4.1 GHz)
    8GB Quad Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz
    1.25GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 Ti
    1TB Serial ATA 3 Hard Drive
    No Monitor
    Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

more than capable of running wow
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2012-07-17 at 09:36 PM.

Self built's are the exact same thing as store built, except the prebuilt's have brand logo's warranties and are mass manufactured which has an increased chance of there being a bug. The one i linked is definitly not for business or w/e. Business computers and such get one's with intel vid cards and such to save money, that i would say is considered a medium grade gaming computer.

Also i know you said you don't want to build your own but it is the best option. It is super easy to do (i used to be the same way but there are many videos on youtube and websites that will help you) you can also make a forum with the parts you think would work and i can guarantee people will help you. It is also much much much cheaper than prebuilts. If you look at my signature that is my machine i built for 800$ and it's a little weaker than the prebuilt i linked. (sorry keep forgeting to put my processor in.)(Processor = AMD phenom || 6 cores 2.8ghz OCd to 3.0ghz)

Asus Prime x299 | Intel i7-7800x | Corsair H110i cpu watercooler | MSI Sea Hawk gtx 1080 | 16gb DDR4 3000hz GSkill RGB | Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2 + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | Corsair AX760 | Corsair Crystal series 570x case | Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Acer 23 inch monitor 1920x1080 + LG 23inch 1920x1080 + Asus 144hz 1920x1080|

10+ Year Old Account
    Self built's are the exact same thing as store built,
    also not true, self built is self supported, you are responsible for supporting your own computer if you build it yourself, which for most builders is not a problem, but if you are not the kind of person that has the patience to spend hours troubleshooting, then you probably want a prebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    also not true, self built is self supported, you are responsible for supporting your own computer if you build it yourself, which for most builders is not a problem, but if you are not the kind of person that has the patience to spend hours troubleshooting, then you probably want a prebuilt
    hrmm forgot to put that, yeah there's no warrantee and you are your own tech support.