Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Skins, and why people assume your 2k rated if you own one.

Just something I'd like to get my head around.

I personally own around 25-ish skins for the 45 characters I own (2-3 on some characters), I'm a casual player ( I play ranked, though not a great deal, mainly premades with friends) who enjoys looking at pretty artwork while helping to support a game I love.

We all have good and bad games, but why do people automatically assume your 2k rated just from having a skin? ( <-- This seems to be the general assumption of the skinless players that flame.)

The amount of flame I've had in games for having a skin, when I've lost a lane or had a bad game, or simply made a small slip up is ridiculous really.
    Am I not allowed to spend disposable income on a game I like because sometimes I fail?

I buy them for characters I enjoy, because I enjoy looking at what i think is a better model, or a pretty tail, or a finer ass on a character. For my benefit. Not to show off. Ofc it tends to be my better characters I have them on, as those are the ones i generally enjoy the most (more time spent on them etc blah)

So what does the does this forum think of players with skins? Same as me? Just someone who wants to look pretty? Or someone showing off, so it allows you to flame them when they don't live up to your expectations.

People are just jealous that you can spend a little bit of cash in a free game. They start by complimenting you on your skin, then proceed to harass you if your not doing great. Ive seen it SO. MANY. TIMES.

(just bought Pulsefire Ezreal :P)

15+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps it is the general expectation that no one buys a skin for a champion they suck with?

I have never bought a skin, and never will. Unless, of course, that champion is the reason I ever get to 2k ELO.

I can understand supporting the game, but 25 skins? HOLY CRAP thats a lot of money.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

I used to believe that 3 years ago, because they were rare and the game was kind-ish new.
    Now with the flow of Pulsefire terrible Ezreals I don't.
    l'alurl gol zhah elghinyrr gol.

Deleted
    I generally expect people to be half decent at characters they've invested money in. Losing a lane is fine, bad games are fine, I do find it somewhat dumb that people buy skins for chars they don't play though, say those that go "first time X" and already own a skin for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    I can understand supporting the game, but 25 skins? HOLY CRAP thats a lot of money.
    Nah thats not. You spend like $10 every once in a month and buy some sale skins and ina few months youll have much more than that.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 12:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Restos3 View Post
    I used to believe that 3 years ago, because they were rare and the game was kind-ish new.
    Now with the flow of Pulsefire terrible Ezreals I don't.
    terribad pulsefire ezreal here ! joking.
    but you cant avoid bad games sometimes.

---------- Post added 2012-07-18 at 12:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Alkestis View Post
    I generally expect people to be half decent at characters they've invested money in. Losing a lane is fine, bad games are fine, I do find it somewhat dumb that people buy skins for chars they don't play though, say those that go "first time X" and already own a skin for it.
    I see people use the 'first time X' excuse as a way of excusing themselves for sucking before the match begins

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Nah thats not. You spend like $10 every once in a month and buy some sale skins and ina few months youll have much more than that.
    Yeah, I own a lot of skins that were 260 RP or less, I generally do exactly what you mentioned. I do however, have a few champs that I was so excited about that I bought them with RP and got their skin bundle the day they released, and then end up sucking hardcore with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleeq View Post
    Yeah, I own a lot of skins that were 260 RP or less, I generally do exactly what you mentioned. I do however, have a few champs that I was so excited about that I bought them with RP and got their skin bundle the day they released, and then end up sucking hardcore with them.
    I dont ever buy champs with RP, Im very afraid of sucking like you mentioned, lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Well when i first started i bought kayle because i loved the look of her skins .....one in particular and i bought them all had never played a game etc the one skin i wanted i couldnt get ohh well lol.but i also play taric as a tank holding a lane by himself generally making him a pain in the ass and i enjoy it i wouldnt of known that if someone hadnt told me in a game as i tried palying kayle the same way ...yup so i got my newb ass onto the forums read up switch kayle to a support role and went pure annoyance with taric...morale of the story is advice i take bitching i ignore and i spend my money the way i want on stuff i like .
    Faith Manages

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually say "f*ck this sh*t" to myself when my whole team has skins... See I assume exact opposite, that you're actually 1k- rated. happy?!

"Dude, why are you dead again?" "Because I'm raid-leading, doh..."
    Mess with the best, die like the rest...
    >>>Goes by name Samyaza<<<

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i had similar things pop into my head when playing World of Tanks. in that game they had premium tanks that cost gold (gold being the currency bought with money, just like riot points). these tanks were often similar in stats as the top tank in their respective tier. these tanks also gave you increased credits (a currency similar to influence points) people who drove/played these tanks were often harassed if they were bad or werent just absolute all stars.

i think the mentality of it all is people have a hard time wrapping their head around the reasoning for spending money on something that you may not be able to play well. unfortunately the LoL community is probably one of the worst ive ever experienced so youre bound to run into a bunch of assholes.

also i have a theory that when they release a new hero a lot of people think that he somehow is the most amazing hero available and they have to have it because they think theyll win. i dunno, just my opinoin

Deleted
    Just state that you want to show your support to Riot.

Works for me

The only time Ive ever really had a dig at someone is if they talk big when they have a skin, which with the new Pulsefire Ez skin seems to happen a lot. Mostly its just a comment like "Maybe you should try get a refund on that skin." The point being that theyre not good at the champion and therefore shouldnt be playing it :P

Personally I own quite a few skins, some I bought simply cos I liked or were funny such as Nurse Akali or French-maid Nidalee, other skins I bought because I love playing that Champion, Morgana/Ahri/Irelia for example I have skins for because theyre 3 of my favourite champs to play. Same as Ashe, I love playing Ashe so I own 3 Ashe skins So mostly I think people expect you to buy skins for champs you are familiar/good with.

Deleted
    well the assumption that makes most sense is:

someone spends real money on a free game. he must really play/like that game alot -> be good at it.

but, even in low levels, you meet lots of people that just started playing and still buy some champs/skins just to have them.

always depends on if you want to invest real money into a free to play game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, like other's have said I feel if your gonna buy a skin for a champ I would expect you to be halfway decent at playing said champ. The only exceptions are release weeks and PFE. I assume all those players are bad and just jumping on the new champ/PFE bandwagon.

I've never really thought of it that way myself, however I have been feeling a bit of pressure whenever I play a champion who I've bought a skin for. Generally I only have skins for my best champions, but if I fail I'll usually feel that people think I've just bought the champion because of a fancy skin, or that I'm just some rich snoozy kid. Not that I really care what they think, but it still gives me a sort of pressure now and again. I only have a few skins though, I don't buy Riot Points anymore, and I've never bought it very much anyways. The last skin I got from actually buying RP is Obsidian Malphite on its release, which is quite a few months ago, else I just feed off of the compensation RP Riot hands out now and then.

10+ Year Old Account
    tell me about it especially when you have 2 legendary skins, but it always nice when people complement me at being good with ezreal just because I have pulsefire and they assume im bad

People do seem to expect more of you if you own a skin for a champion. I've personally been insulted because I'm only a so-so Miss Fortune but own one of her skins. To the tune of "y u spend money on game you suck at?"

I dunno. I guess because I like the skin and want to see the servers continue to run?

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

What's really funny is when people are bitter over not having a skin and pretend otherwise. Had an Ezreal that informed the team that he "wasnt one of those bad Pulsefire Ezreals" and then proceeded to feed hard. Thank goodness he didn't spend money on a cool skin, then he might have looked good while he played badly.

The skins have a psychological effect on the player. When they have the skin that fits their personality, they suddenly become much more connected to the champion. So they behave differently, but that's just how I see it.