Thread: Charr lore me!

Charr lore me!

With release round the corner and maybe my first chance to play a little this weekend on the BWE3 I've been hunting round the wiki pages trying to acclimatise myself with the GW universe but I'm finding the lore very difficult to penetrate. I'm definitely playing a Charr, not been this excited about a playable race since....well ever really...maybe my first Tauren in vanilla...but ye what I'm finding lore wise it's all abit lacking on GW2 wiki.

I'm a light RPer, I don't roll on RP servers and I don't do any actual RPing but I build my own little persona's for my characters that remain purely in my own head and since GW2 seems to be trying to give your char a bit of a personality too with your own back story and the choices about your characters history in the creation process I would like to be able to make informed choices about who my Charr will actually be.

I get the fundamentals....that they are a martial race, their family structure and models of government are based firmly on the chain of command, they are distrustful of organised religion and gods because it brought them close to the brink....but that's it. I've no idea what the difference between Iron, Blood and Ash are aside that Blood is ruled by a female and Iron might be a bit more progressive philosophically.

Is that my lot then or is there some other stuff out there?

Deleted
    Basic differences between Iron, Blood and Ash are really as much as Iron are the engineer caste, Blood are the warrior caste and Ash are the thief caste.

As for females, I believe females used to be confined to the kitchen and housekeeping (not even joking) because of one female's insubordination, but upon the overthrowing of the shamanistic controllers they were restored to their rightful place in Charr society.

That's about all I can explain without explaining the entirety of the Charr's story in Guild Wars 1.

Deleted
    Have you read GW2 official page? http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/races/charr/

Also you may want to know the history/lore of original Guild Wars (since charr were there too).
    This is the start of the lore series:

Thanks for the help . I've read most of it previously to making this post but will check out those dev blogs and that video when I get back later.

@Hjalmtyr

I think not having played GW1 that might be where most of the lore is hidden. The stuff on the wiki and home pages is incredibly sweeping, the Flame Legion from what I can ascertain dominated Charr culture for hundreds of years yet it's effectively covered in a TL;DR of "They lost a lot, used their failings as excuses to weed out dissenters then a secret warband of female Charr helped turn the tide and they all lived happily ever after."

I get it if the lore is simply not there, I understand that GW1 was a purely human perspective and GW2 is set many years after GW1, the Charr are essentially old enemies but new allies....it would make sense that the writers haven't had that much time to flesh out the stuff presented in GW1 aside from some fluff that gives the dev's what they need to get the ball rolling as it where.

So ye....any links to that Charr GW1 story? (Guessing it's mostly Flame Legion stuff but it seems important all the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    So ye....any links to that Charr GW1 story? (Guessing it's mostly Flame Legion stuff but it seems important all the same).
    Your basic low-down on the Charr in Guild Wars 1 is that, with the power of the Titans (large, molten, tripodal monstrosities), they rained destruction down on the human kingdom of Ascalon. At this point, it seemed that the Charr were pure evil. However on venturing into the Charr homelands north of Ascalon, you meet a Charr warband who are fighting back against the shamans who are controlling and brainwashing the rest of the Charr race. Their control by the Titans shamed them and this is why Charr so fiercely reject the thought of a god.