Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Talk Nerdy to me: What's inside a Black Hole?

Have you ever wondered what happens at the center of a black hole? Is it simply a dense, hot core filled with crushed matter? Is there such a place as "the other side" of a black hole? If so, where does it lead?

Perhaps it serves a portal to one of many realms that comprise the so-called multiverse. Or perhaps, all that we have come to know as reality is nothing more than an elaborate hologram.

To gain insights into these awesome concepts in modern theoretical physics, I met up with Brian Greene, professor of physics and mathematics at Columbia University, co-founder of the World Science Festival in New York, and author of four popular science books. Watch the video above and/or click the link below to learn more. And don't forget to weigh in by leaving a comment at the bottom of the page. Talk nerdy to me!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1625330.html

user comment:

In the link the woman gives a very detailed four and half minute video about what could be inside a black hole. Ever the world's most famous, richest and smartest people haven't been able to detail exactly what happens when sucking is sucked into a black hole. Is it a gateway to another galaxy? or does everything just get sucked in and destroyed.

Before replying least watch half of the video. It's in the link and super entertaining.

everything gets sucked in and destroyed probably, not very easy to test.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5PN...&feature=g-u-u That is a very good video. All his others anre good too

Deleted
    My crazy guess is that when point obtains X mass it will shatter hole in dimensional membrane and gets flushed in space between universes.Just like basin.

Guess the only way we'll know for sure is if and when the earth gets sucked in by one, if we're alive, it's a gateway to another galaxy, if we all die with no trace, it's a death trap.
    Gonna watch those videos posted here and see what scientists say

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't lead anywhere. Black Holes have pretty much been figured out, and I'm a little confused as to why Brian Green and that whole video seem to ignore a lot of the information we've discovered about them, by the experts in the field that have been studying them for much longer.

There is no gateway or portal at the singularity. Matter (and energy) escapes a black hole eventually over time. It's, sadly, a lot less fantastical than hollywood has made it out to be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunterpower View Post
    Guess the only way we'll know for sure is if and when the earth gets sucked in by one, if we're alive, it's a gateway to another galaxy, if we all die with no trace, it's a death trap.
    It's death trap cuz of tidal forces

15+ Year Old Account
    no-one puts it like Neil DeGrasse Tyson... enjoy

http://youtu.be/h1iJXOUMJpg

"I am smiling. I am perky. I am the girl scout on your front porch offering cookies for money.
    I am your biscuit prostitute. I hope our transaction is savory."

Deleted
    Dont think they have a clue yet... space hope thee's life on another planet

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    It doesn't lead anywhere. Black Holes have pretty much been figured out, and I'm a little confused as to why Brian Green and that whole video seem to ignore a lot of the information we've discovered about them, by the experts in the field that have been studying them for much longer.

There is no gateway or portal at the singularity. Matter (and energy) escapes a black hole eventually over time. It's, sadly, a lot less fantastical than hollywood has made it out to be.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that black hole dissipation-evaporation (RE: Hawking Radiation) has been figured out since the 70s.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Morgan Freeman can explain the theory that makes the most sense to me, obviously nobody knows for sure yet but this would make sense (if black holes even conform to our any sense of logic):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbRvHbtB9AQ
    Conservation of information (talks about black holes) starts at 27:00 but I recommend watching all of it if you're into space. I find this show very interesting

10+ Year Old Account
    We know what black holes are, tiny little dots of incredibly dense and heavy matter. We know how that effects things, tiny radius plus by large weight = massive gravitational forces, we also know what happens to things under a far smaller pressure, like deep in the ocean. So we know that if you were to go into a black hole you'd be compressed into a gooey ball with the same weight as all the matter in your body, less than a millionth of your size. So you are dead. What's in a black hole is more a matter of meta-physics as there is virtually no way to test it. The only way I could imagine it being tested is a set of quantum entangled particles in a lattice network.

I'm not a physicist, but, I'm fairly sure a black hole wouldn't be hot, after all heat is the random motion of particles, and being crushed by your own gravity doesn't exactly provide a lot of free movement of particles.

I always thought the Hawking and other found a few decades ago that a Black hole actually breaks down matter into information. Furthermore, if you could collect some of this infromation around the edge of a black hole, you could (if you acquire all of the data for an object) reconstruct whatever was pulled into the black hole.

Deleted
    Our current laws of physics break down inside a black hole.

It's virtually impossible to describe what happens once you fall inside.

It's like asking what was before the Big Bang. The Big Bang was the starting point for our space-time. There were no laws of physics prior to that point. So it's all just guesswork and estimations.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2012-07-19 at 04:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current laws of physics break down inside a black hole.
    To be clear, the laws of physics that WE have established based off OUR observations doesn't do well. No laws are broken, and the more we understand them, the more we realize that our current laws of physics aren't broken.

Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic"

I was watching a man ( i need to look this up), he was applying evolution to the universe. The idea is that a universe is like an organism. They are born to reproduce. The universe that has the best physical laws is able to reproduce more. A universe reproduces by the amount of black holes is creates, with each black hole being an offrspring universe.

It's definitely an interesting idea. Will definitely post the video when I find it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    A black hole is a singularity. Ie, it is a single point in space. The event horizon, or the space where light cannon escape, is also considered a part of the black hole. But if you were falling to the black hole, you'd be in the event horizon and the point where you'd actually fall down into it would be when all of you were condensed into that singularity. There is nothing inside a black hole, excluding the event horizon, at least according to what we know so far. It my be proven that they may be wormholes or gateways to other universes, or even a universe on its own. That last possibility particularly interests me seeing as it is explained by something called Hawking radiation.

Hawking radiation is basically radiation caused by annihilation of a particle and an antiparticle at the edge of the event horizon. For example, the black hole would create a quark and an antiquark on the edge of the event horizon and these two would destroy each other, giving off energy in the form of gamma rays, or gamma radiation. At the same time, the black hole loses the mass correspondent to the mass contained in that quark and anti quark. Over time, black holes can "evaporate" like this. But the point is, it has been explained that the reason this happens could be that there are 3D versions inside the black hole of all the particles that have been "sucked" into it, and 2D versions of the same particles on the surface of the event horizon (because particles are just information, really), which is where they can escape from the black hole. It is possible that this entire universe is just the 3D version of all its particles while the 2D version could be on its surface, meaning this universe could be just a black hole in another universe.

Sucked in and destroyed. It's a lump of hyper dense matter. For all intents and purposes, it's essentially a lump of matter so dense that gravity actually overcomes the stronger electromagnetic force and crushes all of the particles into a single point. Nothings gets out of it other than radiation.

It's a neat fantasy idea that black holes are wormholes, or that they're holes in the fabric of space and time, but really, we know what creates them (or at least, what creates small black holes; supermassive black holes are more mysterious in their formation): a star's core continues to undergo fusion until it gets to the point that the matter within it becomes too dense to support itself, and then collapses, causing a supernova when the inner core of the star implodes, ejecting the outer mantle. If it's dense enough, tada, black hole. If it's not dense enough, you instead get something such as a neutron star. So you could think of it as a 'a black hole is like a neutron star, but denser.' Dense enough that its own light doesn't escape, because make no mistake, a black hole is probably producing light, it's just that the light never escapes its own event horizon of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightswords View Post
    My crazy guess is that when point obtains X mass it will shatter hole in dimensional membrane and gets flushed in space between universes.Just like basin.
    That isn't what happens though. Astrophysicists and Cosmologists have written quite a few papers over the past decade that black holes aren't just a giant all consuming holes that never goes away. They essentially take the things they eat and turn it into pure energy, which is observed as high energy photons. Eventually they expel enough energy from what they've consumed that they'll "evaporate" simply go away. With that thought in mind, black holes really seem like an unavoidable event that slows down if not prevent the universe from reaching a thermal equilibrium point, and they may contribute as to why we observe the universe to keep expanding. If you think about it, the universe is largely solar powered, the energy put out by fusing lighter elements into heavier elements warms the rest of the universe for the most part. When you get to Iron though, you gain no more energy by fusing elements together, and you can't gain energy by pulling elements apart, iron is the elemental equilibrium point. Black holes on the other hand burn matter into pure energy, and then allow the process of energy to coalesce into matter to start all over again.

As to what you'd find inside a black hole, most likely quantum particles, like the Higgs Boson, helping maintain the mass of the black hole for as long as it can before it gets burned and expelled as well. Maybe all we are really observing is the effects of insane gravitational pressures tearing apart all of the different layers of energy that makes up matter until you get to that subatomic level and then things disassociate and the singularity evaporates. We may never truly know, but they're fascinating places because they're so extreme and all we get is to see is the input and output of the function of a black hole. Matter goes in, all forms of radiation goes out. We have some math and theories that may explain what holds them together, but we really can't test any of it to know for certain, so we make our best guesses.

edit: bolded, italicized and underlined the important part in the fusion/fission part, because apparently people like to stop reading before they read EQUILIBRIUM, or just ignore the word equilibrium completely. I'm fully aware that heavy elements can and do release energy when they go through the fission process. But in the context of my sentence, it is plainly laid out that iron is the atomic energy equilibrium, you cannot fuse iron and gain energy you cannot induce fission on iron and gain energy. Iron is the equilibrium.
    Last edited by kendro1200; 2012-07-19 at 07:56 PM. Reason: because people somehow stop reading right before equilibrium on the fusion/fission topic.