The Longest Journey for PC. Does it live up to the hype?

The Longest Journey is on sale on Steam for only like $5. Never heard of it before, but went to Metacritic and saw that it has a pretty high score (91), with alot of people saying it's one of the best games of all time.

Now, I'll get lynched for saying this, but I didn't play Half Life 1 and 2 until a year ago, and I didn't like them too much although they are considered the greatest. I can see how they were groundbreaking when they were brand new, but newer games have improved on that genre, although the story was great.

Does the Longest Journey stand the test of time since its 12 years old? And yes, I'm into point and click adventures, but just wanted to see if they game is still "good" in 2012. Anyone play it and what do you think?
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2012-07-19 at 05:31 PM.

I have, and i can say that it is one of top rated games in genre for a reason. If you don't mind little outdated graphics, you will enjoy this game 100%.

If you're into point and click adventure's it's a must have. One of my all time favourite games!

Buy it and enjoy!

One of the best adventure games of all time. And I'm saying this from a background of playing adventure games since the CGA Sierra adventure game era onwards.

Deleted
    its good, It has a few bugs still and there's loads of text to read, buts its up there with Grim Fandango for graphic adventures well apart that's its point n click

Also if you like that type of game, I would suggest The Book of Unwritten Tales, more of a cartoon piss taking point n click

I tried it a few months ago but just couldn't get into it. I'm not in love with point and click adventures, and that was probably my problem, but I assumed since it was highly rated that even then I would like it. So I tried it again, got past more than the first 30 minutes, and it ended up being a pretty good game. You've gotta like point and click, however.

Is it worth buying just Dreamfall (which is on sale, too) and skip The Longest Journey? Or are both vastly connected and you can't enjoy the story of the sequel without it.

Just can't stand the look of April, she gives me the creeps. =(
    I know the game ist 12 years old and so on, but I can't really emphasize with a character looking scary like that.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Is it worth buying just Dreamfall (which is on sale, too) and skip The Longest Journey? Or are both vastly connected and you can't enjoy the story of the sequel without it.
    You could just buy Dreamfall. The games are connected, but I think you would be okay.

The bigger problem is that Dreamfall is much worse than The Longest Journey. Actually, "worse" is the wrong word. The first two-thirds of Dreamfall is amazing. Then it goes off the rails, and the last third descends into nihilism.

The Longest Journey is a much stronger game as a whole, with an excellent ending. Dreamfall has issues.

Aww how sad. =< I'm really not in nihilism at all.
    Will skip this offer then. It's not like I haven't bought enough games already this summer sale.
    Thanks for help!
    Last edited by Mistral; 2012-07-19 at 10:44 PM.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    Just can't stand the look of April, she gives me the creeps. =(
    Is this from screenshots of her from the cutscenes, or from in game? I agree that the model they use for her in cutscenes is awful, but she looks fine in game, and that's how you see her most of the time.

TLJ is easily one of the greatest adventure games ever released. It is a masterpiece of storytelling and stands well against the test of time (I just replayed it about 6 months ago).