Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The wealth disparity in Russia is absolutely immense, so pandering to those people is what a lot of people have to do to get projects done. Most likely their goal isn't to achieve immortality, but advance in specific projects involved in such an achievement. Like if immortality is ABCD, their intention is to study A from the beginning, and to use the possibility of also doing the other 3 to get funds.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather have one Billionaire have immortality and even then is scary. Yes you heard me, only one man could possibly deserve it. That person has made a lot of difference in a city full of crime and depravity then it is amazing he doesn't fall into depravity himself. He is

BATMAN

This is not immortality, We still have human nature of killing things which people will do. This only preserves memories which could be lost

Deleted
    True, i've seen these before, but as in clear images, we are quite far away. And i believe that reading dreams is to whole consciousness transfer like fractured rib is to neuroscience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoyodyne View Post
    They are already recording dreams. It's in early stages but it's being done right now. I suggest everyone keep up to speed on current tech by watching discover science channel, or try ARStechica and Wired.
    Sometimes I wish I was still signed up to the TV, its only £10 (its £5 for the small tiny limiting package) but faster internet connection = Win.

Anyway I tend to look at www.techspot.com and http://www.futuretimeline.net/forum/

Also on-topic, I believe this is their website.

http://2045.com/
    -K

Deleted
    It seems nothing new, but it seems somewhat legit. The idea of 'becoming immortal' has been around for ages, and with current technology we might not even be far off!

I believe that even if you succesfully "transfer" the stuff to the artificial brain thing, it is not the same person anymore, just exact copy that will act and behave and think like the original but the original is still dead, a bit like clone.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

stop drinking the fantasy cool-aid and come back to reality. Anime =/= life.

This reminds me of something I watched on top gear a while back

A billionaire could buy a f1 car for 1 mil,
    But it had to be kept at the stadium
    Can only be driven by a professional driver, not the guy who brought it.

I smell scam!
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    Guess we'll need to find a billionaire and ask him.
    Avatar B sounds like 'Ghost in the Shell' :P
    Avatar B is also the most pointless. When you die of old age, your brain isn't magically going to stay healthy.

Anyway, yeah this sounds like one big scam. To hear that this is coming from Russia doesn't surprise me.

If they can show that a rat's brain can be transplanted into an operating robotic body then I would put my money in. But that has not happened yet so anyone putting money into this would be risking it at the very least.
    I don't think that we are very far from that:
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...etri_dish.html

(Rat brain in a jar controlling a plane in a flight simulator. That was 8 years ago.)

Granted, they completely retrained those neurons, which is easier than transplanting a working brain into a robotic body and conserving memory & personality. But we are getting there. However, as others have said, the brain ages too, so a simple brain transplant won't gain you that much.

Deleted
    If they can show that a rat's brain can be transplanted into an operating robotic body then I would put my money in. But that has not happened yet so anyone putting money into this would be risking it at the very least.

Oh and "mind uploading" is already feasible. The cost for one brain would be in the billions currently so no market yet. Give it a decade. But will the soul go with it? I would rather have a brain transplant into a exact human copy of my body. Or at least a part cyborg part human body. I think the money should be put into full brain transplant into grown bodies. Uploading a mind sounds a little risky in terms of who or what will come out the other end of the operation.
    The 'soul' or 'personality' as people like to call it is actually just your brains. If they can transfer over the brains, undamaged and well, and connect the neurons properly again you will be the EXACT same person, minus the body of course.
    If someone would screw around some neuron connections in your brains your personality could alter DRASTICALLY. Heck, even if some cells in your brains start dying/not working properly as with dementia for example you just become a different person because the person you are is all regulated by your brains.

Like it or not, your personality is just some electricity going around in that meat ball within your skull

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dess View Post
    stop drinking the fantasy cool-aid and come back to reality. Anime =/= life.
    This isn't "fantasy". How is this even Anime?
    -K

world already has too many people, dont need people to not die, i love the idea of it, for maybe like people that got into an accident and cant move from neck down and so they can get a new body.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThargixEchoes View Post
    The 'soul' or 'personality' as people like to call it is actually just your brains. If they can transfer over the brains, undamaged and well, and connect the neurons properly again you will be the EXACT same person, minus the body of course.
    If someone would screw around some neuron connections in your brains your personality could alter DRASTICALLY. Heck, even if some cells in your brains start dying/not working properly as with dementia for example you just become a different person because the person you are is all regulated by your brains.

Like it or not, your personality is just some electricity going around in that meat ball within your skull
    I would hope that this whole thing wouldn't turn to a debate about beliefs. I for once believe that people have a soul and it is something more than just electric activity. I still think that this thread is about other things than that...

Soon we may be able to store old life in reaper form...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mizeri View Post
    world already has too many people, dont need people to not die, i love the idea of it, for maybe like people that got into an accident and cant move from neck down and so they can get a new body.
    The world is not really running efficiently, although there are A LOT of people on our planet, its still not in critical areas. We still have plenty of places to colonize on our World.

Could have the "immortal" "humans" in sort of Virtual Reality, or something like in Futurama ^^
    -K

I'm sure there were people back in the 50s who invested in flying cars as well. Look where that's gone.

Sounds like someone has been reading a little to much Legends of Dune, hell B fits the description of a Cymek perfectly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    I'm sure there were people back in the 50s who invested in flying cars as well. Look where that's gone.
    Back then we had a lot less knowledge, little computational power and so forth. I guess if corporations wanted we would of had flying cars already, or at least somewhat flying. By somewhat I mean maybe few hundred feet, just a terrible guesstimate.
    -K