10+ Year Old Account

Hapkido Preparation / Tips?

Hey,
    Could anyone give me any tips on preperation for Hapkido, For those who dont know its a Korean Martial Art Thats Around Kickboxing and Ju-Jitsu combined
    But my main question is in the few days before i start is there anything decent i should start doing in order of preperation? #

Cheers
    WoW6000
    Last edited by WoW6000; 2012-07-24 at 05:03 PM.

Like any sport/martial art/physical activity you want to make sure you're injury free. If you've been inactive for a while go on a couple of 30 min walks to reaming yourself of what it feels like to use all your muscles and get your heart rate up. If you're fairly fit maybe just go for a couple of moderate (2-6 mile) runs and do some stretching.

Remember you're entering a dojo, not a sports club - so exercise discipline and manners. For example refrain from swearing and ask by what title your instructors want to be referred by (eg Sensei.) Don't answer back at anyone and respect the higher grades.

When it comes to sparring (if Hapkido spars, I'm not sure) don't be nervous, everyone was a beginner once and you're in a safe place to learn combat. Don't get a big head either because you will be put in your place faster than you see it coming.

If after a lesson or two you feel it's for you ask your instructor on what books to purchase, all martial arts have long and interesting histories and having a reference manual at home will also let you practice by yourself with the right information.

I think that's about it, if you've any questions just ask - I teach karate a few times a week and have been around a few other clubs to have a general knowledge of the average goings on.

Oh, and invest in some DeepHeat or Metsal - or any other mentholeum muscle cream. You'll need it :-)

Question

Ah Hapkido, nice. Not practiced in a while, but got to first Dan. Is it the Duk Moo academy? Normally you will have a warm up at first, then if it's your first lesson they will teach you the basics such as how to fall/be taken down. Second half of the session you normally practice kicks. Also for the first half you will be paired with a more experienced person to help you get into it. Hapkido is great fun, not really too much "sparing" involved though. I trained under master Kim in Durham and Sunderland :-)